Can anyone help with an encoded/encrypted document?

Deelady

it is simply recipes...nothing private. I did actually send them to Jim and he was unable to do anything, it told him they were unreadable...I have a feeling it might already be corrupted. I no longer have the orig form of it since I had resaved it as notepad and openoffice.
If anyone is interested in trying I would be more than happy to send it to you. I would hate anyone to waste real time trying to fix this for me since it is only recipes. But if anyone has time to kill then send me your email and I would be most grateful!!! :D

joec

Gold Site Supporter
If they have been saved in another program then the odds are great they are gone. I always save my recipes in notepad (text) format as it works easy with everything.

Doc

Administrator
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Any chance you did a backup of personal files on your computer and you copied the recipe files? If so you might find them on a CD or something.
If not, start your backup planning now so you don't loose files like this ever again. Then even if you encrypt them by accident you'll still be able to get back to the unaltered original version.
Were these your personal recipes? If not maybe you can return to the source and get them again ...or if they are personal but you posted them somewhere you can go retrieve them from there. Feel free to use NCT as a recipe backup place. Post them all here and you'll always be able to find them on down the road.

ChowderMan

Pizza Chef
Super Site Supporter
Deelady -

tried to send a private msg with my email - but it's not showing up in my sent folder - did you see anything?

High Cheese

Saucier
Backups - I just started using iDrive online backup for my company. We still use DOS based software so the file size slips under the Free 2GB mark.
banana.gif

Doc

Administrator
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Backups - I just started using iDrive online backup for my company. We still use DOS based software so the file size slips under the Free 2GB mark.
banana.gif
There are huge advantages to NOT upgrading if what you currently use does the job for you. Congrats.
It's always good to have an offsite backup ...just in case the worst happens.

High Cheese

Saucier
There are huge advantages to NOT upgrading if what you currently use does the job for you. Congrats.
It's always good to have an offsite backup ...just in case the worst happens.

The "worst" has happened. I even had a 3 month old HDD fail, but I caught it once it started making noise. I used to use tapes, then Zip. Win2K had a nice backup feature. I don't remember the last time I rebooted my server....heard a commercial the other day so I figured I oughta set it up. Let someone else deal with the redundancy and equipment.

We also have the ultimate backup.....paper! lol

FryBoy

Free automated off-site backup is available from www.mozy.com. 2GB free, $5/month unlimited. Excellent outfit! Software runs in the background, you tell it when (daily, hourly, whenever the computer is not being used) and what folders or files to backup. Highly encrypted (486 bit), extremely secure. I've been using it for a few years in addition to backups to external drives. Highly recommended!

Adillo303

Gold Site Supporter
I use Mozy myself. The only downside is the time to restore.It took 12 hours to put my .PST file (My email) back. The upside - I got it all back.