Winning Recipe for Peanut Butter Pie

FryBoy

PieSusan recently posted a note about the 15th Annual American Pie Council/Crisco National Pie Championships, which were held earlier this month (May 2009).

Phyllis Szymanek of Riverview, Florida, won 1st Prize in the Amateur Division and Best of Show with her recipe for Peanut Butter Pie. I finally found it on the web. It sounds disgustingly wonderful! :pig:

The recipe is attached as a ready-to-print PDF. I modified the directions for clarity only, but otherwise the recipe is unchanged.

Here's the article with the recipe at the end: CLICK ME

Attachments

• Peanut Butter Pie.pdf
    43 KB · Views: 277
Last edited:

lilylove

Dad used to make the most wonderful peanutbutter pies and milkshakes. He says he's forgotten the recipes.

Thanks for this one. I love pb pie!!!!

Doc

Administrator
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Awesome FryBoy. :thumb: Have you tried it out yet?

I copied the recipe from the link in case the link goes away (as they do at newspapers sometimes).

Category Five Peanut Butter Pie

For the crust:

1 1/3 cups finely crushed vanilla wafers

2 tablespoons sugar

1/2 teaspoon vanilla

1/3 cup melted butter (unsalted)

For the peanut butter filling:

3/4 cup powdered sugar

1/3 cup creamy peanut butter

3 tablespoons softened butter (unsalted)

1/4 cup chopped peanuts (save small amount for garnish)

For the filling:

2/3 cup sugar

3 tablespoons cornstarch

1 tablespoon all-purpose flour

1/2 teaspoon salt

3 cups milk

3 egg yolks, lightly beaten

1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract

3/4 cup peanut butter

6 small (0.55-ounce) frozen peanut butter cups, chopped, divided use

Whipped topping for garnish

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray a 9-inch pie dish with cooking spray. Mix all ingredients for the crust in a bowl until blended. Press into bottom and up sides of pie dish. Bake 8 to 12 minutes or until lightly browned. Let cool.

For the peanut butter filling, mix powdered sugar, peanut butter and butter in a small bowl. Spread into the bottom of cooled pie shell and sprinkle with some of the peanuts.

For the next layer of filling, in a medium saucepan, combine sugar, cornstarch, flour and salt over medium heat. Gradually stir in milk until smooth; bring to a boil. Cook, stirring, for 2 minutes. Remove from heat. Gradually stir 1 cup of hot filling into the beaten egg yolks. Return all to saucepan, stirring constantly. Return to heat and bring to a boil; cook, stirring, for 2 minutes. Remove from heat. Add vanilla and peanut butter. Let cool; fold in 5 of the chopped peanut butter cups.

Pour over peanut butter filling in cooled pie shell. Garnish with whipped topping, remaining peanut butter cup and chopped peanuts.

FryBoy

Not yet. Don't have all the stuff on hand. Will probably use crunchy PB as we recently bought a couple of huge jars of Jif on sale -- good earthquake supplies.

I did post the recipe as a PDF -- it will be easier to print. It's formatted for a 5 x 8 loose leaf binder, but will print nicely on regular-sized paper. And as I said, I reworked the directions for clarity.

Doc

Administrator
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Kewl. Thanks Doug. The PDF will indeed print out better. The unformatted version I posted will be good for google and other search engines. :D