Swiss cheese
Red onion
Salad greens (butter lettuce blend) 2 bags
Vine tomatoes
French bread
Small Kaiser Rolls

Salads/Dips

Blue cheese dip
Onion dip (French onion Dip and Green onion Dip)
Salsa
Guacamole
Olive salad
Marinated mushroom caps
Pepperoncini
Macaroni Salad
Bean Salad
Potato Salad
Wise plain potato chips
Wise Sour cream and onion chips
Tortilla chips
Doritos

Dessert

Lemon Meringue Pie

Cooksie

Site Supporter
Peas, black-eyed peas, always peas on the menu :). That's as far as I know right now.

Love that spread, Peep!

Staying in. Contemplating Chinese bbq roast duck, & sides - tbd. Smoked salmon, cream cheese, horseradish, chive, crepe roll-ups or potato pancakes topped w/ caviar & sour cream. Champagne, of course. Eggnog trifle. Salmon w/ sour cream & dill sauce as a main dish is another contender.

Last edited:
The traditional New Year's Eve/New Year's Day menu that we've kept up for several decades now consists of pretty much just "grazing" New Year's Eve: Lentil soup, Hopping John, herring in sour cream sauce, caviar, Spanokopita, & other little snack items. And champagne, of course.

For New Year's Day I always make my famous (or should that be infamous?) version of French Cassoulet, using whatever remnants are left of the Christmas Roast Goose; boneless, skinless chicken breast; turkey kielbasa & turkey or chicken Andouille sausage folded into delicious veggie-laced white beans in a white-wine broth & topped with a bread-crumb crust. Green salad, good crusty bread, & of course more champagne complete dinner for the first day of the new year.

joec

Gold Site Supporter
Our New Years dinner is either a ham or Pork Tenderloin with black eye peas and other side dishes.

This Christmas though my wife and I have other plans than the usual house full we are spending it alone. We ordered two live Maine lobster in the 2 to 2.5 lb range from Meijers. She will pick them up tomorrow evening for our Christmas dinner. We will serve them with a salad, corn on the cob and rice probably. This will be one of our rare just, us Christmas together alone.

Staying in. Contemplating Chinese bbq roast duck, & sides - tbd. Smoked salmon, cream cheese, horseradish, chive, crepe roll-ups or potato pancakes topped w/ caviar & sour cream. Champagne, of course. Eggnog trifle. Salmon w/ sour cream & dill sauce as a main dish is another contender.

My menu is kind of open. Depends on what's fresh & in season when I get to the market(s), Asian etc. Open to new ideas & recipe ideas. Found a Thai popcorn recipe that sounds interesting.

lilbopeep

🌹🐰 Still trying to get it right.
Site Supporter
Peas, black-eyed peas, always peas on the menu :). That's as far as I know right now.

Love that spread, Peep!
Thank you cooksie. I make all the salads and dips during the day on new years eve. I make one french loaf into an Italian hero and cut it into pieces to go with the salads and dips on the eve. After that everyone eats what they want. Make sammies on the small rolls, plenty of sides. Then I do no cooking for at least 2 days.

Mama

Queen of Cornbread
Site Supporter
The traditional meal for prosperity here. Pork tenderloin, mashed potatoes, black-eyed peas (coins), greens (cash) and cornbread (gold).

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
My friends and I are going to make a crockpot of lamb stew, with some great bread on the side

Lee

BamsBBQ

Ni pedo
Site Supporter
i am having a new tradition starting this year....i am going to Peeps because you had me at genoa salami...my favorite

i will bring the Creole mustard(my new and only mustard i like) :)

lilbopeep

Site Supporter
i am having a new tradition starting this year....i am going to Peeps because you had me at genoa salami...my favorite

i will bring the Creole mustard(my new and only mustard i like) :)
Thank you Bam. It has to be Hormel Deluso Genoa. I won't eat hard salami. The only other salami I eat is the baby genoa and sopressata.

BamsBBQ

Ni pedo
Site Supporter
i like all salami..dry,fresh..venison,pork..i like it all

i grew up in a multi-cultural neighborhood and one was Italian...lots of influence on the way i cook

My new absolute favorite salami is one carried by our local Wegmans supermarket - it's a thin-sliced "Pepper Salami", similar to Genoa but with larger fat pieces & a nice spicy bite from a black-pepper-coated rind. I LOVE the stuff, & other folks must love it too, because they now carry it pre-sliced at the deli counter.

Embryodad

New Year's Eve / New Year's Day 2011/2012

Cold cuts

Genoa salami
Dak ham
Pepperoni
Turkey breast
Bologna
Roast beef
Provolone
American cheese
Swiss cheese
Red onion
Salad greens (butter lettuce blend) 2 bags
Vine tomatoes
French bread
Small Kaiser Rolls

Salads/Dips

Blue cheese dip
Onion dip (French onion Dip and Green onion Dip)
Salsa
Guacamole
Olive salad
Marinated mushroom caps
Pepperoncini
Macaroni Salad
Bean Salad
Potato Salad
Wise plain potato chips
Wise Sour cream and onion chips
Tortilla chips
Doritos

Dessert

Lemon Meringue Pie
I'm coming over peep. I'll bring my rubbermaid gloves and do all the dishes and cleanup for ye!

Embryodad

My new absolute favorite salami is one carried by our local Wegmans supermarket - it's a thin-sliced "Pepper Salami", similar to Genoa but with larger fat pieces & a nice spicy bite from a black-pepper-coated rind. I LOVE the stuff, & other folks must love it too, because they now carry it pre-sliced at the deli counter.
You know what I like in salami.
Kretchmaiers (sp?) Cooked Salami..sliced thinly. The one with the large peppercorns. OOoooo! On Italian or Rye Bread...delicious.

Hanzel & Gretel is good too. We don't have a Wegmans near us. Booo Hooo!

Embryodad

I know my wife will want to do a traditional Pork Roast of some kind.

It was always a crowned pork roast stuffed with stuffing or Filling (Pa Dutch Way).

I would like to make Home mades ( Ravioli ) Ihave to see how DW feels about that.

That above for NYD

NYE....I guess salami / soprasatta / pepperoni / pepperoncini /

all kinds of olives. Hot peppers... Sausage and meatballs.

Fish / muscles / clams / shrimp / calamari / scungile / scallops / Zepploi's stuffed with anchiovies in some.

and I want to make a ring of Struffoli. We Calabrese call them Pignolata Calabrese. Oh! hahaha...the little fried dough balls like marbles size, and then coated with honey / sugar and topped with jimmies. OMG I love them. Thjey are a Christmas tradition, but New Years is good to have them too. Actually anytime I could eat them.

They are 10 times better than Rice Krispy Treats...L O L

Hey peep.... Did you / are you gonna make some this year???

luvs

'lil Chef
Gold Site Supporter
being mostly German, we partake in the tradition of pork & kraut. maybe i'll also make baked apples/mashed potato with that. ummmm

lilylove

Depends on where we decide to go to dinner. No cooking for New Years Eve. We'll end up at one of our favorite resturants in town. I'll prbly get sea food of some kind.

Next days there's ANOTHER pot luck.... I'll have to think of something to make for that. Maybe, just a little fruit plate. There's always 4 tons of food. :) wayyyyy too much!

lilbopeep

Site Supporter
I'm coming over peep. I'll bring my rubbermaid gloves and do all the dishes and cleanup for ye!

I know my wife will want to do a traditional Pork Roast of some kind.

It was always a crowned pork roast stuffed with stuffing or Filling (Pa Dutch Way).

I would like to make Home mades ( Ravioli ) Ihave to see how DW feels about that.

That above for NYD

NYE....I guess salami / soprasatta / pepperoni / pepperoncini /

all kinds of olives. Hot peppers... Sausage and meatballs.

Fish / muscles / clams / shrimp / calamari / scungile / scallops / Zepploi's stuffed with anchiovies in some.

and I want to make a ring of Struffoli. We Calabrese call them Pignolata Calabrese. Oh! hahaha...the little fried dough balls like marbles size, and then coated with honey / sugar and topped with jimmies. OMG I love them. Thjey are a Christmas tradition, but New Years is good to have them too. Actually anytime I could eat them.

They are 10 times better than Rice Krispy Treats...L O L

Hey peep.... Did you / are you gonna make some this year???
Thank you Jimmy I would love to have company.

No I have never made struffoli. My aunt was the one who made them and rosettes every year. I haven't had any since she moved to Arizona.

Embryodad

being mostly German, we partake in the tradition of pork & kraut. maybe i'll also make baked apples/mashed potato with that. ummmm
German is good!! Ha Ha ha
Tina is 50% German. Her family always makes something with pork for New Years meal.
She also makes Sausages in the Kraut. The only thing is, she frys the kraut with onions first till the onions carmelize. Then she stufs and covers the pork sausage with the karut...adding the juice from the kraut as needed to keep it moist.

Sometimes she will even do Halupky (stuffed cabbages with pork and rice)...and will layer them with sauerkraut. No tomato sauce or tomatoes though. That's a mix of her German and Hungarian / Slovak.

Do you add carroway seeds to your pork / kraut dish?
I like the carroway seasoning...but Tina does not.

Embryodad

Thank you Jimmy I would love to have company.

No I have never made struffoli. My aunt was the one who made them and rosettes every year. I haven't had any since she moved to Arizona.
OOoooooo! I forgot about the rosettes. I have my moms irons.
We make pizzelle too; but "T" was too busy with cookies to make them.
I could make them, but she has more patience than I do. She makes the chocolate ones too. I don't like them unless they have anisette oil in them.

It's a funny thing in that last night I mentioned the struffoli, and when I awoke this morning, "T" was printing a recipe she found on line for them.

I learned to make them and helped Gram when I was like only 10 or 12.
She told me that the honey and sugar Has To foam in the pot while cooking....and Then you throw in the struffoli to coat.

As I think now ( Wow! I could think? ) I usually buy the confetti Almonds...
I like to suck all the candy coating off.....and then eat the almond.
My brother used to start chewing and biting them as soon as he put them in his mouth, hahaha, and Mom used to holler at him. Only because she didn't want him to break his teeth! OMG...and he did it for S P I T E !!!

luvs

'lil Chef
Gold Site Supporter
German is good!! Ha Ha ha
Tina is 50% German. Her family always makes something with pork for New Years meal.
She also makes Sausages in the Kraut. The only thing is, she frys the kraut with onions first till the onions carmelize. Then she stufs and covers the pork sausage with the karut...adding the juice from the kraut as needed to keep it moist.

Sometimes she will even do Halupky (stuffed cabbages with pork and rice)...and will layer them with sauerkraut. No tomato sauce or tomatoes though. That's a mix of her German and Hungarian / Slovak.

Do you add carroway seeds to your pork / kraut dish?
I like the carroway seasoning...but Tina does not.
yum,. jimmy! (the sausages- we make them w/ kraut, though not for the 1st of the year. & we love stuffed cabbage, though make them w/ the cabbage & not any kraut, then tomato sauce.
even the 'sketti sauce used to have pork in it (@ my Pap's).
there's very few ways-1, i think, that i'll eat caraway. not my thing.

VeraBlue

Head Mistress
Gold Site Supporter
Red Gravy is open on NYE for our regular brunch menu...and we're going to an 8pm dinner reservation that night. Jackson, on Magazine Street gets some very nice reviews and it's not in the French Quarter, which will be very crowded. If I have the energy, I'd like to watch the fireworks at midnight over the river...but, I'm open again, on NYD...so I may have to simply go to bed.

NYD, at Red Gravy will include roasted ham, corned beef, turducken, cabbage, black eyed peas and some other more traditional brunch ideas.

Bells

Champagne and Indian food this year. Masala shrimp, samosas and a chickpea salad. I also have fruit dip and chip dips for midnight.

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Hey, Bells, I had my very first samosa today!

It was potato and peas, and was very good, with exotic spices (garam masala, maybe?), but was a bit too spicy-hot for me.

Are you making yours? If so, do you have a recipe?

Thanks!

Lee

Bells

Hey, Bells, I had my very first samosa today!

It was potato and peas, and was very good, with exotic spices (garam masala, maybe?), but was a bit too spicy-hot for me.

Are you making yours? If so, do you have a recipe?

Thanks!

Lee
Hi Qsis! My husband is making them but they won't be very spicy hot. We are not much on hot spices. I'll try to get the recipe to post.

Miniman

Mini man - maxi food
Gold Site Supporter
Normal dinner style NYE, we will not be going out.
New Years Day, we are eating with the inlaws and having a traditional Christmas dinner with Roast Turkey

Nancy-MD

My NYE foods were 2-bite crabcake appys, hot wings, salsa con queso with chips, and a tray of cheeses, pepperoni and crackers. Beverages were beer, wine and the preferred drink of the hubs and myself - a highball cocktail.

We will have pork and sauerkraut with mashed potatoes for supper tonight for good luck.

Attachments

• 12.31.11 crabcake appys.jpg
    12.31.11 crabcake appys.jpg
    60.8 KB · Views: 141
  • 12.31.11 hot wings.jpg
    12.31.11 hot wings.jpg
    47.9 KB · Views: 144
  • 12.31.11 salsa con queso and chips.jpg
    12.31.11 salsa con queso and chips.jpg
    36.7 KB · Views: 140
  • 12.31.11 cheese and pepperoni tray.jpg
    12.31.11 cheese and pepperoni tray.jpg