Mushrooms Mushrooms

Carolina Cooking

I don't know what I was thinking.:ohmy: I bought 2 box's.

I end up even scrambling to finish off 1 box. Then I end up throwing out the leftover's.

Spinach salad I am making for some of them.
Tossed salad.

In omelet .

Just sauted I guess as a side.

wasn't planning on pizza but maybe I will now lol.

IDK IDK..

Oh I also bought 6 lemons :ohmy: I haven't bought that many lemons in ages. lol They will keep tho.

Mama

Queen of Cornbread
Site Supporter
How about some beef stroganoff or salisbury steak?

You can always juice and zest the lemons and freeze the juice in ice cube trays and the zest I just keep in a freezer bag in the freezer. But, if you want to use them, you can always make lemon icebox pie:
2 (8-ounce) packages of cream cheese (brought to room temperature)
1 can sweetened condensed milk
3 lemons (juice and zest)

Whip together and pour into a store bought graham cracker pie crust (or you can make your own). Refrigerate a couple of hours and enjoy!

K

Kimchee

Saute them down in some butter/olive oil, salt, minced garlic, fines herbes and minced shallot. Splash in some white wine when you add the mushrooms to the hot pan... they will soak up all the liquid, get to know it, then sweat it back out. Once sweated, either freeze them for future mushroom gravy, or make gravy and freeze it! (Assuming, of course, that gravy freezes, we never have leftovers.) ((This is Kimchee's secret mushrooms recipe.)

K

Kimchee

Oh.. you can always stuff them and bake them as sides or appetizers.
Cream cheese and smoked oysters are good in them!

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
Saute in some butter, add 1/4 to 1/2 cup red wine once they are nearly tender. Let wine reduce by 3/4 and then serve over red meat like steak.

buckytom

Grill Master
cc, what kind of mushrooms?

for small white-ish/brown-ish ones (button, cremini, brasil, etc) i do a sort of thing like kimchee mentioned, but with red wine and scallions to make a mushroom topping for steaks. eta: darn, keltin beat me to it!

saute sliced shrooms in butter, seasoned well with salt and pepper. when starting to soften, add a good amount of wine and reduce. when it's thick enough and the shrooms are cooked down, finish with another pat or two of butter and chopped scallions. toasted garlic is optional.

shiitakes become a side dish. i like to stir fry them with baby bok choy in a little peanut oil, then add some fish sauce, ginger, garlic, soy sauce, and a a bit of chicken stock.

king oysters are good sliced and soaked in beer and lemon thyme, then grilled.

gotta run, will be back with more.

Guts

like Bucky said what kind of mushrooms? assuming they are the white brownish type I sometimes will sauté them with butter and here's the kicker sugar. It makes kind of a caramel so to say, sweet mushroom hors d'oeuvre. I did this by accident one time the mushrooms were just bitter tasting when I sautéed them in butter. I have no idea why... I added some sugar to them and walked away and came back in the butter and sugar had caramelized somewhat and now I make of that way sometimes.

Mushroom bolognese sauce for pasta or lasagna.

Spaghetti carbonara-ish - w/ mushrooms, bacon & peas (& parmesan cheese).

Skewer them whole with cherry tomatoes, fresh mozzarella balls & torn up pieces of French bread. Brush with oil & grill or broil until the cheese is ooey gooey melted. Serve with a steak or whatever you like. Or omit the torn bread, & serve the mushroom/tomato/mozzarella skewers on bruschetta.

buckytom

Grill Master
if you have fresh morels, i'll be right over. i'll do anything for simply floured and butter fried morels, maybe over veal scallopini.

by themselves, morels are delicious simply dipped in beaten egg and the grain of your choice. panko, crackermeal, cornmeal, italian breadcrumbs, crushed potato chips, what have you. yum.

beyond morels, if you have wood ears, please make my favourite salad. it's called the mountain and the sea salad

soak wood ears in salted water, slice, then toss in a salad of boiled and cooled seaweed (or kelp or laver), add some finely chopped celery, a bit of finely minced red onion, finely minced ginger, and puffed rice or broken pieces of ricecakes.

serve atop a bed of crisp shredded iceberg lettuce with a sweet but simple vinegar dressing. rice vinegar and garlic is good, or maybe a rasperry sherry vinegar with sugar.

this one is all about the subtle flavours of woodears and seaweed, contrasted by the aromatics and vinegar, and then there's the textural thing of the wet, soft shrooms and seaweed against the crispness of the iceberg, puffed rice, and celery and onion.

Last edited:

Carolina Cooking

:thankyou:

I now Have myself in gear for cooking up these mushrooms.

I just made a 2 egg omlet full of sweet tasting mushrooms :)
good eats..

spinach salad for dinner. My SS are huge too.

It seems lemons are going fast too. Most of them are bald :lol::lol:

Most folks buy these 2 items all the time, I didn't for some reason but now I think that has changed.

Nancy-MD

Well Barb, you just took the words right out of my mouth when you said you made a mushroom omelet. One of my favorites.

Carolina Cooking

cc, so i'm guessing they're white button mushrooms?

yes they are . sorry I didn't tell you that :oops:
For some reason I don't care for the fancy ones. Maybe I just didn't fix them right. I am not even a fan of portobella.

Those button asian ones :yuk::yuk:

Just plain ole run of the mill white button one for me.

lilbopeep

🌹🐰 Still trying to get it right.
Site Supporter
I almost always have mushrooms in my house.

The other night I sauteed mushrooms and onions in butter then added frozen baby peas and pearl onions. I cooked egg noodles when cooked toss with butter and add the mushroom mixture, season with favorite spices and bouillon. YUMMY

I use them fresh, dried, raw or cooked in just about everything. WE LOVE THEM.

buckytom

Grill Master
I almost always have mushrooms in my house.

lol, that reminds me of a motel i stayed in one night down the shore. we were too pooped to drive home, so we just pulled over at the first motel we saw and took a room. it was so disgusting. dirt and bugs everywhere. then someone noticed mushrooms growing in the bathroom carpet! everyone was grossed out but i thought, "cool! breakfast!"
lol.

lilbopeep

Site Supporter
lol, that reminds me of a motel i stayed in one night down the shore. we were too pooped to drive home, so we just pulled over at the first motel we saw and took a room. it was so disgusting. dirt and bugs everywhere. then someone noticed mushrooms growing in the bathroom carpet! everyone was grossed out but i thought, "cool! breakfast!"
lol.
OH YUCK!! And No wonder they weren't booked up a year in advance down the shore!!

QuirkyCookery

Oh.. you can always stuff them and bake them as sides or appetizers.
Cream cheese and smoked oysters are good in them!

This is what I always do when I find myself with a huge amount of mushrooms and don't want the last bits to go bad. Cream cheese, some sprinkled cheese of whatever variety, and then under the broiler for just a couple minutes. Mmm, delicious.

In fact, I think I buy too many mushrooms just so I *can* do this. :whistling:

~Edit~ Oh, I forgot I'd posted on QC about my mushroom buying problem. Um:

8yz80m.jpg

And yes, I used every last one, hehe.

QuirkyCookery

Isn't that insane??!! It's why I couldn't pass up buying them, lol. Those orange and yellow stickers are Kroger's clearance tags....so when produce is on the verge of going bad or is already turning, they mark it way down. And then I come in and scoop it up. ><

Carolina Cooking

Isn't that insane??!! It's why I couldn't pass up buying them, lol. Those orange and yellow stickers are Kroger's clearance tags....so when produce is on the verge of going bad or is already turning, they mark it way down. And then I come in and scoop it up. ><

:wow: we had a Kroger here & it closed.lol Plus I miss having those sale racks. The only place here that does it is the Pig. I do not like that store at all I never go in there. Then WM has the bread rack in the back I do buy from there to make bread crumbs & croutons.

I shop mostly at Publix & they never have any sale racks like that.:sad:

QuirkyCookery

I'll be moving soon and won't have a Kroger any more. I'm going to miss it so much.

Those orange and yellow stickers have saved me soooo much money and stocked my freezer quite well on a regular basis. I don't want to derail your thread away from mushrooms, but I got a huge slab of fish the other week, turned it into several meals, and ~edits out rambling...you can look if you want, but that feels spammy and it's not mushrooms, lol....but it was so freakin' cheap, it excites me~

....yeah, I'm going to miss Kroger's clearances, lol. :(

buckytom

Grill Master
some of the supermarkets here have reduced produce sales. i load up on them to feed my parrots. it can get really expensive providing fruits and veggies to such wasteful pets, but those sales save me a ton of money.

i spent $11 last week on enough for my birds for 2weeks or more. it would have been 3 or 4 times as much at full price.

sadly, they don't like mushrooms, just to get the thread back on track... lol.

lilbopeep

Site Supporter
some of the supermarkets here have reduced produce sales. i load up on them to feed my parrots. it can get really expensive providing fruits and veggies to such wasteful pets, but those sales save me a ton of money.

i spent $11 last week on enough for my birds for 2weeks or more. it would have been 3 or 4 times as much at full price.

sadly, they don't like mushrooms, just to get the thread back on track... lol.
Where do you shop for those deals bucky?