Sunday, 1/30/2011, Whats cooking?

lilbopeep

🌹🐰 Still trying to get it right.
Site Supporter
If all go as planned a pot of tomato sauce with meatballs, braciole and sausage. Rigatoni pasta, salad and garlic bread.

Any plans?

JoeV

Dough Boy
Site Supporter
Having a friend over for dinner. Chicken Paprikash with herbed spaetzle (I just throw some parsley and/or basil in the dough when I make it). I'll be using Homecook's spatzle maker that she gifted to me because her family likes the finer spatzle made off of a cutting board.

Mr. Green Jeans

Not sure yet, but in 15 minutes the sweet potato bread (made from last night's leftover hubbard squash) should be on the cooling rack.

luvs

'lil Chef
Gold Site Supporter
eggplant hoagie if i find provolone, eh- there's mozzarella though

Sass Muffin

Coffee Queen ☕
Gold Site Supporter
I've decided on crab cakes for sure.
Going to try something with pan fried potatoes, tomatoes, corn and okra to go with it.
Even though I don't like okra lol

Sass Muffin

Coffee Queen ☕
Gold Site Supporter
Decided on a baked spud at the last minute.
Hey, I kinda like okra as long as it's with something else!
Once again, the crab cakes were a hit.
Out of the four,.. one did fall apart in the pan...:cry:
Oh well..

2011-01-30 17-38-27.567.jpg

2011-01-30 18-04-27.375.jpg

MexicoKaren

Joyfully Retired
Super Site Supporter
Sass, your dinner is a beautiful vision...love crab cakes! I wish I had some right now. I'm still under the weather. Jerry is feeling better, but he's not much of a cook. I have some vegetable beef soup on the stove. I didn't have even a single onion, so I added a packet of Lipton's French Onion soup. So far, it smells good and early tastes seem OK. So, canned tomatoes, some beef broth, some bits of steak I had stowed in the freezer, some potatoes, carrots, celery, and even a small can of mixed vegetables I found on the pantry shelf, tucked way in the back. We'll see, in an hour or so.

GotGarlic

I have chicken legs with lemon juice, garlic and oregano roasting in the oven and I'm making twice-baked potatoes.

lilbopeep

Site Supporter
I have been busy all day today. And here are the rewards.

Browned Meatballs

013011_meatballs.jpg

Browned Braciole

013011_braciole.jpg

Meatballs, Braciole & sausage simmered in sauce

013011_braciole_sausage_meatballs.jpg

Rigatoni topped with fresh grated Romano & Parmesan cheeses, sausage, and homemade Braciole & meatballs, salad and garlic bread.

013011_rigatoni_salad_meat_garlic_bread.jpg

lilbopeep

Site Supporter
Beautiful plate Sass!!

Karen I hope you and Jerry feel 100% soon. I wish I could send you some soup and grilled cheese so you don't have to cook. But virtual XOXOXO will have to do!!

MexicoKaren

Joyfully Retired
Super Site Supporter
Peeps, thanks! Your dinner has left me speechless. It looks SO delicious. I hope your family enjoys it and lets you know how special you are.

:applause::applause::applause:

buzzard767

golfaknifeaholic
Gold Site Supporter
Peepsie, WOW! Excellent. Just ate and now I'm really hungry. Thank you for a mouth watering post. :)

lilbopeep

Site Supporter
Thank you so much Karen and Buzzy.

BTW Karen I posted the chicken a la king recipe for you and Dee. I hope you get to try it when you and Jerry feel better.

Sass Muffin

Coffee Queen ☕
Gold Site Supporter
MGJ, I love SOS both with chipped beef and ground beef (or sausage).
Thanks Karen... I hope you and Jerry enjoy the soup.
and Peeps, you weren't kidding when you said you'd be busy!!
O M G! :applause::a1:

lilbopeep

Site Supporter
MGJ, I love SOS both with chipped beef and ground beef (or sausage).
Thanks Karen... I hope you and Jerry enjoy the soup.
and Peeps, you weren't kidding when you said you'd be busy!!
O M G! :applause::a1:
Thank you Sass.

BTW The sauce is also homemade.

Deelady

Wow Peeps that looks GREAT!! I've always wanted to try to make braciole!! Ok I'm ready for another recipe!!! lol or have you posted it before! Looks super yummy!

We had oven baked chicken strips with onion rings and mac-n-cheese.

Attachments

• food 607.jpg
    food 607.jpg
    55.8 KB · Views: 155
Last edited:

JoeV

Dough Boy
Site Supporter
Peeps, there's not an Italian Mama in this country who can touch your culinary prowess. Magnificent. This is a meal that used to appear in every Italian dining room back in the day. You are maintaining a proud, and delicious, tradition. I'd love to taste your gravy!

MexicoKaren

Joyfully Retired
Super Site Supporter
Our vegetable beef soup actually turned out to be edible, and slightly delicious. I didn't have the energy to take pictures...maybe leftovers tomorrow.

Sass Muffin

Coffee Queen ☕
Gold Site Supporter
Our vegetable beef soup actually turned out to be edible, and slightly delicious. I didn't have the energy to take pictures...maybe leftovers tomorrow.
;)
I think I'll have leftovers tomorrow for lunch, as in the spaghetti I made.
Normally I don't have many leftovers because I share what I make with a very kind little neighbour lady.

JoeV

Dough Boy
Site Supporter
We had a great day in the kitchen cooking for our DS, his GF and a priest friend who loves Hungarian cooking. I guess my Chicken Paprikash was good, because he ate two HUGE portions. I also made 6 dozen basil-whole wheat 4-cheese ravioli for a get-together this coming weekend. Ravioli's go faster with two people.

P1030199.jpg

P1030191.jpg

P1030193.jpg

P1030195.jpg

P1030200.jpg

lilbopeep

Site Supporter
Wow Peeps that looks GREAT!! I've always wanted to try to make braciole!! Ok I'm ready for another recipe!!! lol or have you posted it before! Looks super yummy!

We had oven baked chicken strips with onion rings and mac-n-cheese.

Peeps, there's not an Italian Mama in this country who can touch your culinary prowess. Magnificent. This is a meal that used to appear in every Italian dining room back in the day. You are maintaining a proud, and delicious, tradition. I'd love to taste your gravy!
Thank you so much for the very kind words both of you.

I am working on my braciole recipe and tutorial with step by step pictures. It will be posted shortly.

Dee and Joe your dinners look fantastic!!

Dee How do you make your onion rings? They look so thin and crispy!

Joe I only wish I could even come close to your bread skills!! If we had dinner together you would be tasked to make the homemade ravioli and homemade loaf for the garlic bread!!

Last edited:

MexicoKaren

Joyfully Retired
Super Site Supporter
Joe, I love the idea of spaetzle with Chicken Paprikash. Have you ever posted your recipe for Chicken Paprikash? A friend just brought me a variety of paprikas from the US, including some sweet Hungarian variety. Could you point me in the right direction?

JoeV

Dough Boy
Site Supporter
Joe, I love the idea of spaetzle with Chicken Paprikash. Have you ever posted your recipe for Chicken Paprikash? A friend just brought me a variety of paprikas from the US, including some sweet Hungarian variety. Could you point me in the right direction?
The recipe is posted on my website with step-by-step instructions.