Sunday, 1/9/2011, Whats cooking?

lilbopeep

🌹🐰 Still trying to get it right.
Site Supporter
Well it will either be meatloaf, meatballs or chili. Can you tell I have ground beef to use!! LOL And I wanna try making dry beans for the first time in my pressure cooker; for the chili.

Any plans?

luvs

'lil Chef
Gold Site Supporter
dinner sunday, 1/9/11

i am making chix w/ snow peas, bell pepper, onion, & sprout. broccoli?! also soba as i ain't so very into rices. teriyaki 4 my seasoning/sauce~

your dinner~

lilbopeep

Site Supporter
Re: dinner sunday, 1/9/11

What exactly is soba luvs? I heard of it but never had it. BTW How have you been feeling lately?

BTW we have 2 dinner threads LOL I asked to have them merged.

lilbopeep

Site Supporter
Chicken soup is on my mind for a couple days. I will have to make a pot soon.

JoeV

Dough Boy
Site Supporter
DS showed up last night with his GF, so I made waffle/pancake batter for us for breakfast. DS made the waffles while I made the dough for a couple of loaves of Italian bread to go with dinner. I'm now making dough so I can make 4-cheese ravioli from scratch, which will be used to make Bam's ravioli lasagna. I'm mixing sweet Italian sausage and ground beef for a filling with the cheese and sauce. A tossed salad will be served, and I'm not sure what dessert will be yet. Maybe some kind of cupcakes with mock whipped cream frosting.

Alexa is coming for her first visit to Grandma's house today and they're all staying for dinner. DW is like a school girl with excitement. Alexa is now two weeks old and it's cute to watch to Grandma act like it's HER baby. She's telling me how the tour will take place as she introduces Alexa to Grandma's nursery and shows her her Mommy's old room. Is DW losing it or is this normal New Grandma behavior? It's like watching a grown woman play dolls. I'm just making sure everyone is fed and they have something to take home. :yum:

lilbopeep

Site Supporter
Joe, I need your help figuring out a formula/ratios of many flours/ingredients I use to make dough. I always just eyed but I would like to pre mix a large quanity at a time and just be able to weigh out what I need for a task. Not have to play around evcerytime. Are you will ing help me? I want to mix up two kinds of for different tasks IE one for basic dough to use for pizza, raisin bread, rolls. Another to use for Multi grain with seeds, whole grains, nuts and such added. I would like to PM you a list of all my flours and grains ask you to help me figure out how much of each/ ratio I should use. Would you be willing?

lilbopeep

Site Supporter
DS showed up last night with his GF, so I made waffle/pancake batter for us for breakfast. DS made the waffles while I made the dough for a couple of loaves of Italian bread to go with dinner. I'm now making dough so I can make 4-cheese ravioli from scratch, which will be used to make Bam's ravioli lasagna. I'm mixing sweet Italian sausage and ground beef for a filling with the cheese and sauce. A tossed salad will be served, and I'm not sure what dessert will be yet. Maybe some kind of cupcakes with mock whipped cream frosting.

Alexa is coming for her first visit to Grandma's house today and they're all staying for dinner. DW is like a school girl with excitement. Alexa is now two weeks old and it's cute to watch to Grandma act like it's HER baby. She's telling me how the tour will take place as she introduces Alexa to Grandma's nursery and shows her her Mommy's old room. Is DW losing it or is this normal New Grandma behavior? It's like watching a grown woman play dolls. I'm just making sure everyone is fed and they have something to take home. :yum:

ROTFL I'll let you know when I become a granma. Probably in 30 years!! LOL Long story!! Enjoy it. If she is occupied with something else you are safe!!

JoeV

Dough Boy
Site Supporter
Joe, I need your help figuring out a formula/ratios of many flours/ingredients I use to make dough. I always just eyed but I would like to pre mix a large quanity at a time and just be able to weigh out what I need for a task. Not have to play around evcerytime. Are you will ing help me? I want to mix up two kinds of for different tasks IE one for basic dough to use for pizza, raisin bread, rolls. Another to use for Multi grain with seeds, whole grains, nuts and such added. I would like to PM you a list of all my flours and grains ask you to help me figure out how much of each/ ratio I should use. Would you be willing?
Peeps, have you read the Baker's Percentages tutorial I wrote here back in May 2010? See if that answers your questions, and if not, then I'd be happy to help you determine what you need to put together for larger batches. Check some of the bread recipes on my website to see if they have what you need as well.

lilbopeep

Site Supporter
Peeps, have you read the Baker's Percentages tutorial I wrote here back in May 2010? See if that answers your questions, and if not, then I'd be happy to help you determine what you need to put together for larger batches. Check some of the bread recipes on my website to see if they have what you need as well.
Yes I read it and copied it BUT..... Honestly Joe I can't do that formula so good. I just want to mix dry flours and I can figure I out the yeast and water as I go. I just want put together an all purpose blend of flours to use anytime for any thing. That I can later add other things to.

JoeV

Dough Boy
Site Supporter
Yes I read it and copied it BUT..... Honestly Joe I can't do that formula so good. I just want to mix dry flours and I can figure I out the yeast and water as I go. I just want put together an all purpose blend of flours to use anytime for any thing. That I can later add other things to.
That's a tough one for me to figure out, because anytime I blend flours, it's for a specific bread formula. I don't have an "all purpose blend" of flour, because it would not work for me. For instance...If I make lavash crackers, the formula calls for equal amounts/weights of white, dark rye and stoneground whole wheat flours. When I make honey whole wheat bread, the formula calls for 1/3 stoneground whole wheat and 2/3 white bread flour. For me, it's not a problem blending on an as-needed basis, especially if I need flour with lower protein content for something like a rue or a pasta dough that I don't want gluten development with. Does this make sense to you or am I missing something you are trying to convey to me? I AM a male, so everyone knows we're all a little slow.:yum:

lilbopeep

Site Supporter
That's a tough one for me to figure out, because anytime I blend flours, it's for a specific bread formula. I don't have an "all purpose blend" of flour, because it would not work for me. For instance...If I make lavash crackers, the formula calls for equal amounts/weights of white, dark rye and stoneground whole wheat flours. When I make honey whole wheat bread, the formula calls for 1/3 stoneground whole wheat and 2/3 white bread flour. For me, it's not a problem blending on an as-needed basis, especially if I need flour with lower protein content for something like a rue or a pasta dough that I don't want gluten development with. Does this make sense to you or am I missing something you are trying to convey to me? I AM a male, so everyone knows we're all a little slow.:yum:
<< In my best Roseanna Rosannadanna voice "Never mind" :yum:

Thanks anyway I will figure it out.

sherlock.gif
A surfing I will go.

VeraBlue

Head Mistress
Gold Site Supporter
Lou brought tortellini from South Philly...so I'm going to do some sort of pancetta, pea, diced tomato sauce with the tortellini.

I'm in the mood for a sazerac, too

Lemon Meringue for dessert.

We just decorated Red Gravy for Mardi Gras!! We close in about 45 minutes, so it's cocktail hour once again.

lilbopeep

Site Supporter
Lunch

Flank steak grilled on cast iron stove top 1 burner grill pan with cast iron weight

010911_lunch_grilled_flank_opti.jpg

Grilled Flank steak (seasoned with Penzeys Cajun seasoning, Penzeys 4/S seasoned sea salt (Thank you Doc!! They are fantastic!), ground peppercorns and my all purpose seasoning blend) and mixed salad (European blend, Italian blend and baby spinach topped with tomato, sliced mushroom cap, raw broccoli, sliced green onion, shredded cheddar, slivered almonds, McCormick Salad Supreme Perfect Pinch) dressed with Good Seasons Basil Vinaigrette dressing with ½ tsp whole grain Dijon mustard added.

010911_lunch_grilled_flank_salad_opti.jpg

lilylove

Paul and I both have horrid colds... I really want hot and sour soup or at the least home made chicken noodle with lots of veggies but, I think I'm going to open a can of tomato or what ever I have in the pantry.

JoeV

Dough Boy
Site Supporter
Well, Bam's Ravioli Lasagna has intrigued me since seeing it, so today is the day. I started by making up some Italian bread so we can have something to sop up the leftover sauce...

P1030105.jpg

When I opened the freezer, I realized I didn't have enough raviolis, so I started making a batch when our son and his girl friend said they wanted to learn how to make them. I made the first dozen, then they took over and made the next 4 dozen. The apple didn't fall fare from the tree, because they took over and all I did was snap pictures...

P1030095.jpg

P1030096.jpg

P1030097.jpg

P1030099.jpg

I cooked up some Italian sweet sausage, lean ground beef and 1/2 C of diced sweet onions. In a 9x13 glass casserole dish, I layered sauce, ravioli (24 pieces), meat, sauce, Mozzarella cheese, Parmesan cheese, 2nd layer of ravioli (24 more), remainder of the meat, more sauce and lots of mozzarella.

P1030100.jpg

P1030111.jpg

The family wanted to send a message to Jeff regarding his Ravioli Lasagna...

P1030112.jpg

It's a keeper!

lilbopeep

Site Supporter
OH LORD Joe!! That fantstic bread, those wonderful raviolis, the handsome young man!! LOL

YUMMY

Is that whole wheat dough?

lilbopeep

Site Supporter
Chili & rice topped with sour cream, shredded cheddar & green onions.

010911_chili_66.jpg

Cooksie

Site Supporter
I give that a :thumb: too, JoeV. Great post!

Good looking chili and flank steak, lbp!

SilverSage

Resident Crone
Joe, we have to talk. Pull up a chair and take a load off.

Bam's dish was called "Lazy Man's Lasagna". Making your own ravioli from scratch doesn't qualify! :lol::lol::lol:

Great job, though! :applause:

Mama

Queen of Cornbread
Site Supporter
Nice looking dinners Peeps and Joe!

Chicken and Rice soup was on the menu tonight

Attachments

• chicken-rice-soup.jpg
    chicken-rice-soup.jpg
    51.6 KB · Views: 142

lilbopeep

Site Supporter
Thank you Mama!!

I want some of your chicken soup. I have been wanting to make some chicken soup but wind up making every other kind!! LOL In the last 2 months I have made turkey, split pea, lentil and beef barley.

dansdiamond

Food Sound Eng.
Gold Site Supporter
3 Cooks in the house, and no body wanted to cook! No body really wanted to eat Food!
ICE CREAM PARLOR HEERE WE COME!

French Fry;'s, Ribs, Natchos and Ice cream Sundaes

JoeV

Dough Boy
Site Supporter
OH LORD Joe!! That fantstic bread, those wonderful raviolis, the handsome young man!! LOL

YUMMY

Is that whole wheat dough?
I tell my son he looks like a terrorist with that beard, but his GF like it so it stays. :bonk:

The dough is made with 50/50 mix of A/P white and stoneground whole wheat flours. We've come to enjoy the flavor of the wheat flour a lot.