Lemon-Coconut Chess Pie

FryBoy

We had some leftover buttermilk, eggs, lemons, and a frozen pie crust, so DW suggested that I make a Lemon Chess Pie for dessert. I then remembered that we also had some leftover coconut in the fridge, so I decided to add a bit to the pie, and voila! Here's the delicious result:

Lemon-Coconut Chess Pie

Note — It is important that all ingredients for the pie be at room temperature. Otherwise blending may be difficult, and any cold ingredients, especially buttermilk or lemon juice, will cause the butter to re solidify and separate from the mixture.

4 large eggs at room temperature
1½ cups sugar
1 tablespoon white cornmeal
1 tablespoon unbleached all-purpose flour
½ teaspoon salt
⅓ cup unsalted butter, melted, cooled to room temperature
½ cup buttermilk, at room temperature
⅓ cup freshly squeezed lemon juice, at room temperature
1 tablespoon finely grated lemon zest
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
½ cup flaked sweetened coconut
1 unbaked 9-inch pie shell
whipped cream

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

Put the eggs a large mixing bowl, and whisk briefly to blend.

One at a time, whisk in the following, blending until each ingredient has been incorporated before proceeding to the next: the sugar, cornmeal, flour, salt, melted butter, buttermilk, lemon juice, lemon zest, vanilla, and coconut.

Pour the filling into the unbaked pie crust, and bake in the middle of the preheated oven for 40 minutes, until the pie is golden brown on top and almost set. The center of the pie should remain slightly loose; it will set as it cools. Remove to a cooling rack, and cool completely or chill if desired before serving.

Serve cold or at room temperature with lightly sweetened whipped cream.

512116895_2xAWT-XL.jpg

512117009_aDbyM-XL.jpg

Maverick2272

Stewed Monkey
Super Site Supporter
Wow that looks great!! We were talking about Chess Pies the other day. I am gonna have to make this one!