Need party ideas

SilverSage

Resident Crone
I am having yet another party tomorrow. Now keep in mind, at my age, these parties aren't as wild as they were in the 30 years ago.

It's my friend's 78th birthday, and I have about a dozen people coming. It's sort of a surprise; he thinks he's coming for dinner and doesn't know anyone else will be here.

His favorite meal is paella - it reminds him of the year he spent in Valencia in the 1950's. And his favorite cake is coconut cake.

So the cake is cooling on the counter. I have mussels, clams, shrimp, lobster, chicken, and chorizo in the fridge. I'm going to do the paella the traditional way on the grill.

Now I need appetizers. And I need ideas that work with what I have on hand. I'd prefer a Spanish or at least Mediterranean theme, but not mandatory.

I have phyllo, spinach, sun dried tomatoes, kalamata olives, roasted peppers, capers, a baugette, feta, 10 other cheeses but no manchego, lots more stuff in the pantry. Anyone have any ideas?

Oh, and I have fresh strawberries. I'll make a cream cheese/ sour cream dip. I know it's not Spanish, but it fit in with Iron Chef.

By the way, here are the cooling cake layers.

Attachments

• 016.jpg
    016.jpg
    66 KB · Views: 162
It's not on your list, but I would do...

Avocado Chimichurri Bruschetta
http://www.vegetariantimes.com/recipes/10720?section=144

Mini phyllo turnovers stuffed with feta, spinach & sundried tomatoes (& olives?)

Greek Cigars. Posted links etc on this site (What to do with Phyllo dough).

Here's a similar idea for Bastilla phyllo turnovers.
http://www.cookstr.com/recipes/bestilla-phyllo-turnovers

I have a recipe for a greek tomato & black olive tart. Will look through my stash.

And... serve with Sangria. ;-)

Last edited:

GotGarlic

I would take the phyllo and put layers of it in mini muffin cups, bake them, then stuff them with a mixture of sun-dried tomatoes, spinach, capers and feta. Here are directions for making the phyllo cups (you can stuff them with anything): Apricot and Walnut Phyllo Cups

You could also make crostini with marinated roasted red peppers and sliced olives. I've made them marinated with red-wine vinegar, olive oil, oregano and S&P, but if you have sherry vinegar, that would be more Spanish. If you need another app, do a simple cheese plate with baguette slices and grapes. I always like to have fruit with cheese - the moisture and sweetness are great additions.

SilverSage

Resident Crone
Thanks! Those are all great ideas. I think I may go with GG's since I have all the stuff for it. And I really don't have time for another run to the store.

I already had to run out to the store once - when I opened the can of cream of coconut for my frosting, there was a clump of blackish crud inside the can at the seam. I didn't even taste it - just pitched it. At 7 this morning I had to run out for another can.

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Got any anchovies or anchovy paste, SS? You could make tapenade (oooo, I LOVE tapenade!!).

Lee

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
How'd the party go, SS?

Was the birthday boy really surprised?

Lee

SilverSage

Resident Crone
I did the little tart idea, in 2 different flavor combinations.
One had feta, spinach, scallions, roasted red peppers, kalamata olives.
The other had feta, sun dried tomatoes, scallions, capers.

They were a hit!

Attachments

• Hanks bday 001.jpg
    Hanks bday 001.jpg
    94.8 KB · Views: 136
  • Hanks bday 009.jpg
    Hanks bday 009.jpg
    96.3 KB · Views: 132

SilverSage

Resident Crone
How'd the party go, SS?

Was the birthday boy really surprised?

Lee

Very surprised!

One of my friends put herself in charge of the camera. She took 126 pictures, almost all of them are the steps in the paella. Every time I lifted the lid on the grill, she took more pics! If you scroll through them quickly, it looks like a movie of the paella cooking!

Time for me to get ready for work now, but tonight I'll wade through them and maybe put up a thread about making paella.

Here's a pic of the finished dish.

Attachments

• Hanks bday 073.jpg
    Hanks bday 073.jpg
    90 KB · Views: 149

JoeV

Dough Boy
Site Supporter
WOW! That really looks fantastic, especially to us "Northerners." I also like the Florida dress code of white shirt, loosened tie and cargo shorts. That's my kind of living. I'm jealous, as it's 40F here in NE Ohio, and I have a hoodie on while eating breakfast (hate to have the furnace going cuz I'm cheap.:yum:).

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Wow, great pics, so far! The appetizers are beautiful, SS!

Is that you with the birthday boy?

Lee

SilverSage

Resident Crone
It was 88F outside, and I started the afternoon with my hair curled and nice. After 3 hours at the grill, I looked like I had spent a hot Florida afternoon over a fire. No one is sure WHY Hank wore a white shirt & tie, and when asked, he offered no explanation. He's just kind of weird and unpredictable that way.

The paella was great - and.............................................

WE GOT SOCARRAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

SierraCook

Everything looks very yummy. Glad to hear that it was a success. I would have loved to have slice of that coconut cake.

Fisher's Mom

Mother Superior
Super Site Supporter
It was 88F outside, and I started the afternoon with my hair curled and nice. After 3 hours at the grill, I looked like I had spent a hot Florida afternoon over a fire. No one is sure WHY Hank wore a white shirt & tie, and when asked, he offered no explanation.
I think you looked gorgeous, SS! My hair looks like a Brillo pad when exposed to heat and humidity! Yours looks silky smooth. (The Zohan would be proud.)

I think Hank looked spectacular! I cannot believe he is in his 70s. He must be doing something right! (Has he shared any secrets?)