Eggplant Parmesan with Tomato Confit

High Cheese

Saucier
A chef on Colameco's show created something that I tried to duplicate. So you know, none of these recipes had formulas. I got the 'jist' of what the chef was trying to do, and recreated it.

For the dish you'll need to prepare tomato confit. I use regular store bought romas, evoo, salt, pepper and chopped basil. Like many other things, there are mltiple variations. I like to keep it simple.

Slice the tomatoes in half, and remove the goo and seeds.

EggplantParm001.jpg

EggplantParm002.jpg

Don't forget to remove the little stem part too. Place on a baking sheet, CUT SIDE DOWN. Drizzle with evoo, salt and pepper. Sprinkle on some fresh basil.

EggplantParm003.jpg

Into a 200 degree oven for 2 hours. After 2 hours, flip the tomatoes and continue to cook another 2-2.5 hours. Reseason the cut side at this point.

Final product will look like this.

EggplantParm004.jpg

High Cheese

Saucier
I made some homemade pasta this time. For the sauce, I put 6-7 of the tomatoes in a blender with sauteed onion and garlic. I thinned it out with a little H2O, some fresh basil, salt, pepper, red wine and thats it.

EggplantParm005.jpg

High Cheese

Saucier
Now for the eggplant.

I sliced the eggplant on a mandolin to a 1.5 mm thickness. (about the thickness of a wheat thin) Heat some olive oil in a pan but be careful not to get it too hot or the oil will scorch and taste terrible. When you drop the eggplant in it should bubble a little, but not like a rolling boil. You'll need 4 slices per dish. Make extra for mistakes.

EggplantParm006.jpg

EggplantParm007.jpg

When they are done, they will be somewhat rigid. Like a humongus eggplant chip.

EggplantParm008.jpg

Eggplant is like a sponge, so when you remove them, sprinkle with a teeny bit of salt and pat dry with paper towels. Try to remove as much of the oil as possible, BUT DO NOT BREAK THE PIECES! Be gentile.

High Cheese

Saucier
For the rest of the dish you will need: basil pesto (either homemade or from a jar), fresh mozzarella (Chef called for Buffalo Mozzarella but my store doesn't carry it...what else is new), and some grated or shaved parmesan.

Layer the eggplant, cheese and tomato confit like a lasagna. Top with some of the pest and parmesan. The first time I made it I used grated which was fine. I used shaved this time and the larger pieces of parm was a nice addition to the dish. (just a little nit-picking note)

Bon Appetite -

EggplantParm009.jpg

Modern eggplant parm, homemade linguine with a tomato confit sauce and grilled baguette with olive oil and garlic.

High Cheese

Saucier
Just for future reference: I cut the eggplant .75mm with god results, just double up the eggplant layers. Also, I don't think seasoning the eggplant is necessary.

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I'm SO glad that racing season is over!!!!!!:bounce:

Welcome back to the kitchen, Jay!

Lee

P.S. You had me at picture 3 .... it just got better after that! :flowers:

Spectacular!

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Hey, Jay - were the cooked eggplant slices crispy or soft?

Lee

Leni

I would love to try this recipe on my DH. Sounds really good. He likes it breaded and then fried with parmesan added. I don't like it that way so this sounds like a nice change.

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Bump!

'Tis the season for eggplants and tomatoes, and if I ever have enough time, I'd love to try this beautiful dish by High Cheese!

Lee

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I am still hoping to make this in the near future.

High Cheese, if you are around ....

1) Was everything room temp?

2) How many servings was the last picture?

Lee

High Cheese

Saucier
Everything should be room temp. You can do the tomato a day before but the eggplant has to be done prior to serving. The last pic is one serving. You can get 3-4 servings with one large eggplant usually. I also buy the pre sliced mozzarella then cut those slices in half so there's a good tomato to cheese ratio.

the only thing that really takes time is the tomatoes. But as long as your home you just pop them in the oven. Frying the eggplant takes maybe 15-20 to do a whole eggplant, or 3-4 servings. Then it's just stacking them. If the tomato is done you should be plated in 30 minutes.

ChowderMan

Pizza Chef
Super Site Supporter
does look yummy! we're eggplant fans.

I'm thinking to cut them on the round, works with the fresh mozz rounds, too

I'm gonna call it an Eggplant McMuffin!

but first I need to grow a decent tomato - and we're under a foot of snow (bah humbug!)

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Okay, I finally made this dish last week.

My mandolin isn't as sharp as High Cheese's, and I mangled some slices, trying to slice it as thin as he did. But I went ahead and fried them, and pieced them together, and you'd never know when the stack was completed.

This was kind of fun to do once, and presented a challenge to me, but I wouldn't make it again.

I might do the tomato confit again, though - the slow-roasted tomatoes were wonderful!

Jay, I pulled the skins off the tomatoes when they were done and they slid off easily. Did you?

Lee

Attachments

• Fried eggplant slices.JPG
    Fried eggplant slices.JPG
    110.5 KB · Views: 303
  • Eggplant with tomato confit.JPG
    Eggplant with tomato confit.JPG
    99.9 KB · Views: 279

High Cheese

Saucier
Looks good Lee, just the eggplant looks a little overcooked. I take them out once they are golden brown. And yes, I remove the skins. What don't you like about the recipe, the procedure or the final dish? We all love it because it's light.

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
What don't you like about the recipe, the procedure or the final dish?

Some of both.

I love to eat stuff fried in oil, but I detest cooking it. Too messy, too much clean-up, and as you noted, I don't have the timing down.

Mostly, though, I prefer my eggplant parm to be hot and melty.

Thanks again for posting this interesting dish, and for your help!

Lee

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I had a few plum tomatoes from my garden and enough basil to make a small batch of pesto, so I decided to make these eggplant stacks again. But this time I wanted them to be softer and more oozy than High Cheese's.

Made the tomato confit, the pesto, and I baked rather than fried the eggplant slices (sprinkled with EVOO, s&p is all). I bought whole milk, low moisture mozzarella (great melty cheese).

Assembly: eggplant, mozzarella, eggplant, tomato, eggplant, mozzarella, pesto, shaved parmesan cheese. I made 2 stacks.

Into the toaster oven at 230 degrees until the mozz. melted, about 3 minutes.

This was much better than my first effort, but too much cheese. Will omit the top cheese layer next time.

Served with brined then pan-seared pork chop.

Thanks for the inspiration, High Cheese, wherever you are!

Lee

IMG_6492.JPG

IMG_6494.JPG