Rinse canned black beans?

High Cheese

Saucier
I've been into Spanish and Jamaican food lately, so rice and beans (peas mon
rasta2bigsmoke0gf.gif
) are a staple in my kitchen. I always rinse them, but can never achieve any sort of "sauce" for the beans that way. Anyone have a good black bean recipe? Both with canned and dried too.

Adillo303

Gold Site Supporter
I don't know if this would be looking for. I have a recipes for black bean pizza. It has black beans chick peas, onions, Momtersy jack cheese and jallpinos. O did them all summer on the bbq. They are now going inside on the oven stone.

Is that something you might like?

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I don't know if this would be looking for. I have a recipes for black bean pizza. It has black beans chick peas, onions, Momtersy jack cheese and jallpinos. O did them all summer on the bbq. They are now going inside on the oven stone.

Is that something you might like?

I don't know about High Cheese, Andy, but it sounds different and intriguing to me!

Did you post that recipe with a picture somewhere???

Lee

Adillo303

Gold Site Supporter
I don't know if I have a pix. All my recipes are on my PC at home. I do not yet have Internet there since Sandy. I am supposed to get it back today, I will post my Recipe and a pic if I have it.

Andy

chilefarmer

HC, we cook lots of beans. The only canned beans we use are pork and beans. All others are dried beans.

My recipe: Dried black beans.
1# dried black beans
1 medium onion
2 cloves garlic
Bacon or pork jowl for seasoning.

Beans can be soaked over night or not, I don't soak.
If used, cut meat into small pieces cook in bean pot to brown.
Add onion and garlic cook until clear.
Add dry beans and cover with water.
Boil beans until tender.
The longer the beans cook the thicker the juice becomes. Or sometime I will mix flour or masa with a small amount of water to add as a thickener.
Add salt and pepper to taste. I always add the salt after cooking.

One other thing I do. When beans are cooked tender, remove some of the beans. Maybe a cup at a time, mash them real good and add back to the beans. This will make a thicker soup. CF

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
HC, most recipes will tell you to drain canned beans or not, so I follow the directions.

In the "Jag" recipe I posted, they say to reserve a little of the liquid.

Lee

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Well, I am put off by that goo in the can. Same with canned kidney beans. It just seems like flavorless starch to me.

Lee

phreak

I never rinse black beans from a can because all the Cuban restaurants locally seem to have a sauce that resembles the sauce in the can. One tip for good black beans...sofrito.