Pumpkin Swiss Gratin

Bells

Halloween is all but cancelled here so I'm already planning to eat my pumpkin. Usually, I like it simply roasted like any winter squash but I have so much. I found an interesting website full of recipes and this caught my eye.

Pumpkin Swiss Gratin

Ingredients:

3 cups sliced fresh pumpkin
1 cup grated Swiss cheese
½ cup grated Parmesan cheese
1 teaspoon dried rosemary
1 teaspoon salt
½ teaspoon ground black pepper
1 cup heavy cream
1 tablespoon unsalted butter, cut into small cubes

Directions:

1) Preheat oven to 400°F. Lightly grease a 9-inch baking dish.

2) Evenly arrange one cup of pumpkin slices along bottom of dish.

3) Combine cheeses, rosemary, salt, and pepper in a medium bowl. Sprinkle one-third of mixture over pumpkin slices. Top with one cup of pumpkin slices; add another layer of cheese mixture. Repeat with last cup of pumpkin slices and remaining cheese mixture.

4) Pour cream over entire dish. Dot top of dish with butter. Bake 40 to 45 minutes, until set and lightly browned on top. Serve warm.

Here is the website for the pumpkin lovers out there. http://www.pumpkinrecipes.org/

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
That sounds absolutely WONDERFUL, Bells!

Copied and saved.

If I can find a small sugar pumpkin now (I saw a ton of them earlier this month), I may make this dish for Thanksgiving.

Yeah!

Lee

Bells

Fresh pumpkins can be pretty scarce after Halloween around here but any winter squash is a good substitute. I prefer the butternut squash for recipes that require slices because they are easier to deal with. Pumpkin is really just a winter squash. I have a friend that grows squash but her family won't eat them so she makes 'pumpkin' pies with them. Her family doesn't know and I can't taste the difference either.

I've never heard of or tried a sugar pumpkin. Sounds interesting.