Food(s) You Wouldn't Put In Your Mouth

What food(s) do you really dislike?

Some of mine:

Goat/sheep - won't even try it
(I'll eat lamb chops once in awhile, but it has to be cooked "well-done")
Escargot - tried it once & almost gagged
Sqid/calamari, eel
Raw oysters

Hated spinach as a kid, but love it now.

Last edited:

joec

Gold Site Supporter
Any organ meat from any animal would I knowingly eat. Hence I only eat kosher hot dogs and Bologna. But then I avoid processed meats even ground beef.

lilylove

I'll try anything once as long as it was legal to eat it where ever it was being served. :) I would hate to pass up a yummy meal.

Cooksie

Site Supporter
Bananas, or anything that smells like a banana

Fruitcake - shudder

Figs - just can't go there

JoeV

Dough Boy
Site Supporter
Lutefisk!

lutefisk.jpg

To make lutefisk, catch yourself a cod. Take out the bones, skin it, salt it, and hang it out to dry for several weeks until it hardens and smells like a dumpster. Then, bring it inside and soak it in lye for several days.
Yes, lye — a substance defined by dictionary.com as "a strong caustic alkaline solution of potassium salts, obtained by leaching wood ashes. It is much used in making soap, etc."

More here...

Raw oysters, sweetbreads, brains, or undercooked eggs. It's a texture thing.

I also can't find myself purposely ingesting any insects. Things would have to be pretty bad for me to try that.

Mama

Queen of Cornbread
Site Supporter
Well, besides most of the stuff that Anthony Bourdain eats, there's boiled okra, raw oysters, beef liver, brains, tripe, pigs feet and chicken feet to name a few.

Adillo303

Gold Site Supporter
Certainly not brains. Internal organs other than heart and liver. The obvious exception is sausage casing. Eyes.

I am fairly open to trying things.

luvs

'lil Chef
Gold Site Supporter
fully-cooked eggs or meat besides poultry, okra, rocky mt. oysters, lamb 'fries', margarine, velveeta, cheese singles in plastic, vegetarian cheese & most other meatless items meat to imitate meat, non-dairy cream or pseudo whipped cream in the plastic container, fake 'mayo', sweet pickles, (although i liked to read the books, hehe), baloney, headcheese, & some kinds of livers & canned veggies/fruits. & pretty much any diet food/drink.

BamsBBQ

Ni pedo
Site Supporter
Liver(unless it is in boudain),cilantro(will pick it out of my taco's piece by piece),sardines,smoked oysters(i like them raw),fennel/anise( i do not like black licorice),Okra,Blue Cheese,scrapple,headcheese,spam,i will tolerate cinnamon,smoked eel(i like sushi,common on a few rolls..lol)

joec

Gold Site Supporter
Liver(unless it is in boudain),cilantro(will pick it out of my taco's piece by piece),sardines,smoked oysters(i like them raw),fennel/anise( i do not like black licorice),Okra,Blue Cheese,scrapple,headcheese,spam,i will tolerate cinnamon,smoked eel(i like sushi,common on a few rolls..lol)

Man on the liver we agree. Can't make boudain or dirty rice without it but there it is more of a subtle flavor than over powering. :mrgreen:

BamsBBQ

Ni pedo
Site Supporter
Man on the liver we agree. Can't make boudain or dirty rice without it but there it is more of a subtle flavor than over powering. :mrgreen:

i was working in Lousiana the past fall and ate at a place that had both boudain and dirty rice... the were acceptable eating but i told the guy, you didnt use any liver in this did you?...lol

the liver in those two dishes is not really pronounced, its just there and needs to be there..lol

luvs

'lil Chef
Gold Site Supporter
bam, i second the licorice, both red/black here, tho. though luv fennel & my Pap's lady-friend used to make us these anise cookies i liked.

Guts

fish bait/a.k.a./muscles.

I used way too many muscles when I was a kid fishing from the rocks in Mexico. The thought of eating one would gag a maggot. Yuck

joec

Gold Site Supporter
i was working in Lousiana the past fall and ate at a place that had both boudain and dirty rice... the were acceptable eating but i told the guy, you didnt use any liver in this did you?...lol

the liver in those two dishes is not really pronounced, its just there and needs to be there..lol

I will tell you something about boudain too, never buy it on the north side of I-10 but on the South side is excellent. The best there is, is Boudin King and I think they now have 2 locations. The original is in Jennings the second in Crowley. I have my grand daughter who lives there bring me 30 lbs of boudin and 100 lbs of live craw fish when she comes to Kentucky once or twice a year.

I actually got the recipe from the man that started Boudin King though it takes some time to make.

BamsBBQ

Ni pedo
Site Supporter
i ate at both places this year..i always stop in to Jennings or Crowley on my way by..

i did happen to find one that is almost as good...it is smoked there..i like it alot..greasy,spicy and everything i look for in boudain..lol

Ronnie's Boudin & Cracklin House in Baton Rouge..

I will tell you something about boudain too, never buy it on the north side of I-10 but on the South side is excellent. The best there is, is Boudin King and I think they now have 2 locations. The original is in Jennings the second in Crowley. I have my grand daughter who lives there bring me 30 lbs of boudin and 100 lbs of live craw fish when she comes to Kentucky once or twice a year.

I actually got the recipe from the man that started Boudin King though it takes some time to make.

BamsBBQ

Ni pedo
Site Supporter
after looking for some time...

good boudain must have savoie dressing in it and not the liver free stuff...there is something that it adds to the flavor.

Ingredients

Pork, Water, Chicken Gizzards, Pork Liver, Rehydrated Onions, Flavorings, Brown Kwik (Water, Caramel, White Vinegar, Citric Acid, Garlic Powder, Flavorings, Salt, Onion Powder, Molasses, Mustard, Cumin, Cinnamon, Celery, Spices, Sodium Benzoate), Salt, Spices, Rehydrated Bell Pepper, Garlic Powder, Roux (Flour, Vegetable Oil, Monoglycerides, Antioxident (TBHQ and Citric Acid), Rehydrated Celery, and Rehydrated Parsley.

joec

Gold Site Supporter
after looking for some time...

good boudain must have savoie dressing in it and not the liver free stuff...there is something that it adds to the flavor.

Ingredients

Pork, Water, Chicken Gizzards, Pork Liver, Rehydrated Onions, Flavorings, Brown Kwik (Water, Caramel, White Vinegar, Citric Acid, Garlic Powder, Flavorings, Salt, Onion Powder, Molasses, Mustard, Cumin, Cinnamon, Celery, Spices, Sodium Benzoate), Salt, Spices, Rehydrated Bell Pepper, Garlic Powder, Roux (Flour, Vegetable Oil, Monoglycerides, Antioxident (TBHQ and Citric Acid), Rehydrated Celery, and Rehydrated Parsley.

Savoie dress is the secret that I have trouble getting here. It seems they don't sell it out side of Lousianna, but then all the pigs here must be heavy drinkers since they don't sell their livers in any of the stores. :yum:

joec

Gold Site Supporter
Chitlins, fish heads. Italian anything.

Now I can agree on the Chitlins and Fish head but Italian. Perhaps as someone else pointed out you should try some foods Northern Italian dishes, no garlic and red sauces but really cooking more from the Alps and European. Me I would starve with out Italian food as it is right there with Asian foods as my favorites of all.

BamsBBQ

Ni pedo
Site Supporter
Asian(so broad of a spectrum,so many cultures we put into this group),Italian(so many varieties, by the ocean,away from the ocean,north,south..),"Mexican" so different depending on region your in heck even what city your in...

i absolutely will not put in my mouth again is any kind of Indian Food...its curry everything...it sometimes smells good to me until i take a fork of it and realize that its going to all taste the same...IMHO nasty nasty..lol

thai curry i love..indian curry heck no..lol

joec

Gold Site Supporter
Asian(so broad of a spectrum,so many cultures we put into this group),Italian(so many varieties, by the ocean,away from the ocean,north,south..),"Mexican" so different depending on region your in heck even what city your in...

i absolutely will not put in my mouth again is any kind of Indian Food...its curry everything...it sometimes smells good to me until i take a fork of it and realize that its going to all taste the same...IMHO nasty nasty..lol

thai curry i love..indian curry heck no..lol

You are absolutely right that Italian, Asian etc foods are different depending on the area. The Chinese alone have about 20 to 30 different regions of cooking styles. Korean, Japanese, Vietnamese, Tia etc are all very different though they all share some common basics. I know one thing about eating foods overseas, if it tastes good don't ask what is in it, just enjoy it and leave. :mrgreen: