We had so much fun with Onions, how about potatoes?

Adillo303

Gold Site Supporter
I was traversing lower New York State one fall and I stopped at a farm market late in the season. Long story short we left with 5# of Carola potatoes which we were told are the best mashed potatoes.

Anyway I commonly run across Yukon Gold, Eastern, Idaho, Red, Russet, sweet potatoes and yams.

Anyone out there use different potatoes for different things? Favorites? Ones you dislike?

Sass Muffin

Coffee Queen ☕
Gold Site Supporter
I love all potatoes Andy, so it's hard to decide.. but for flavour all around, I'd have to say Yukon Golds are the best for everything.
I can eat them baked with nothing on them at all.
For potato salad, I think reds make a very pretty salad.

FryBoy

My favorite all-around potato is the Russet -- best for baking, best for mashed, IMHO. I particularly like the skin of a baked Russet.

I also like the Yukon steamed or roasted, but just about any thin-skinned variety is great that way.

One of my favorite ways to prepare potatoes is to skewer new potatoes -- red, white, Yukon, purple, or just about any other variety -- rub them with a little olive oil and add salt & pepper, then grill them. Great with any grilled meats or veggies.

Here's a link to more info about 'taters:

http://www.foodsubs.com/Potatoes.html

High Cheese

Saucier
I like new potatoes (all colors) oven roasted with rosemary and thyme. I prefer waxy-type potatoes as I think they are more versatile being able to be used in a gratin, oven or pan roasted, smashed, great as a garnish for fish or crab cakes.

Lefty

Yank
I love all potatoes too. I have just gotten into the fingerlings roasted which are fantastic. I love the small reds roasted also.

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
We love the kennebec potatoes. A farmer grows them locally here, and we always load up when he is selling them. They are large with very think skins. You can literally scrub the skin off with little effort. DW isn't a fan of skins, so these are great as I don't have to peel them for roast dishes - the skin is so thin and subtle, she'll actually eat it. Great potatoe for roasting and frying.

bigjim

Mess Cook
Super Site Supporter
Fingerlings roasted with italian dressing are one of my favorites

About the only other potato I buy is Yukon Gold.