Foot Surgery & Doug's White Beans

FryBoy

My wife Sue had extensive foot surgery last Friday, really 6 surgeries in one, all on her right foot:

• huge bunion on big toe removed
  • bone spur on big toe removed
  • main joint in big toe fused with titanium plate and screws inserted
  • metatarsal bone in 2nd toe shortened to fix Morton's Toe, screw inserted to hold it together (it was too long, caused metatarsalgia, or pain in the ball of the foot)
  • last three bones in 4th toe (the "ring toe") had a rod run through them to align them and eventually fuse them (they were just loose and flopping around)
  • bunion on 5th toe (little toe) removed.
Amazingly, she had very little pain. The worst part was the nausea caused by the anesthesia. She was prescribed Darvocet, but it made her more nauseated, so she dumped that after a day, used OTC Tylenol for a day, and then stopped taking anything. No pain! We attribute it to the skill of Kaiser's Podiatrist, who is wonderful beyond words. Only problem now is boredom, especially since we live in a 2-story multilevel house with stairs everywhere, so she's stuck upstairs. Should have had it done 40 years ago when the UCLA doc told her he wanted to take her feet apart and put them back together again. Amazingly, she has been a runner and more recently a power walker doing about 4 miles per day ever since. But the pain eventually got to be too severe, so she decided to go for it. Her left foot will be done when the right one is healed.

Today was Sue's 60th birthday, and of course we couldn't go out, nor did she want to leave the house (we did go to Kaiser for a check of her incisions today -- all was amazingly good). So, we stopped by the supermarket and picked up stuff for dinner:

• Loin Lamb Chops from New Zealand
  • Broccolini
  • White Beans w/ Veggies
The wine was already at home, a 2003 Clos Pepe Pinot Noir for me, some 2006 Navarro Premiere Cuvee Chardonnay for Sue.

The chops were simply grilled (see attached, but about 4 minutes per side), came out perfect, and were incredible good.

The broccolini was just steamed and served with butter, salt & pepper, and it was wonderful -- apparently the stuff is in season someplace.

Ah, but the beans! Sue wanted beans for the fiber because, well, let's just say she NEEDS fiber. And prune juice. I didn't want to do anything fancy, so I winged it, and they were delicious and perfect with the lamb. Here's the recipe, everything approximate:

Doug's White Beans

1 tablespoon olive oil
¼ cup finely chopped onion
¼ cup thinly sliced celery
¼ cup finely chopped carrot
Dash or two of ground sage
1 small Bay leaf
2 tablespoons chopped parsley
1 to 2 cloves of garlic, chopped or pressed
1 can cannelini beans (white kidney beans)
2 tablespoons Vermouth or white wine
Salt & pepper to taste

1. Heat oil in small pot over medium heat.
  2. Add onion, celery, carrot, sage, and Bay and cook until veggies are softened, about 5 minutes.
  3. Add garlic and parsley and cook 1 additional minute.
  4. Add rinsed beans and wine and cook for about 10 minutes, until most of the liquid has evaporated.
  5. Taste and add salt and pepper as appropriate.
  6. Keep warm until read to serve.
Great dinner! Sue said it could not have been better if we had gone out to the best restaurant in town!

Attachments

• Lamb, Burning Fingers.pdf
    47.1 KB · Views: 306

homecook

Sounds like a great evening Doug!! I hope things continue to go well with Sue. Also Happy Birthday to Sue!!

The bean dish sounds great.............

Adillo303

Gold Site Supporter
Hi Doug - Please give Sue my best wishes for a speedy recovery. I have two artificial hips and I understand how difficult it is when your motivators hurt.

Great dinner.

Fisher's Mom

Mother Superior
Super Site Supporter
Happy Birthday, Sue! I think you should save the celebrating till your foot is completely healed and then have a blast before the other surgery!

Doug, this sounds wonderful and you get the Good Husband award for making it while Sue is incapacitated. (When I was sick - I got Ramen and Banquet chicken pot pies. :yuk:)