Mexican Cabbage Soup

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
This is marvelous!

The soup itself is delicious, but the toppings MAKE it! I'm a lot more generous with the queso fresca than they showed in the online photo, but I'm glad because it's wonderful!

I'm taking a bowl of it to work every day, keeping the 4 toppings cut up and in separate containers in my work fridge, so they are fresh every day.

I used 1 poblano and just 1/4 teas. of chipotle powder and the level of heat was perfect for me.

I used 3 leeks instead of 2 cups of onions, just because I like them. And used chicken broth (tried veg. broth one time and hated it).

Used one can of black beans and one can of pinto, since that's what I had.

Another keeper!

Lee

Mexican Cabbage Soup

http://www.eatingwell.com/recipe/256474/mexican-cabbage-soup/

Recipe By: Breana Lai “Based on a popular weight-loss plan, this healthy cabbage soup recipe gets tons of flavor and a metabolism-boosting kick from spicy chiles.”
Ingredients

• 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
    • 2 cups chopped onions (or 3 leeks)
    • 1 cup chopped carrot
    • 1 cup chopped celery
    • 1 cup chopped poblano or green bell pepper
    • 4 large cloves garlic, minced
    • 8 cups sliced cabbage
    • 1 tablespoon tomato paste
    • 1 tablespoon minced chipotle chiles in adobo sauce (or 1/4 chipotle powder)
    • 1 teaspoon ground cumin
    • ½ teaspoon ground coriander
    • 4 cups low-sodium vegetable broth or chicken broth
    • 4 cups water
    • 2 (15 ounce) cans low-sodium pinto or black beans, rinsed
    • ¾ teaspoon salt
    • ½ cup chopped fresh cilantro, plus more for serving
    • 2 tablespoons lime juice
    • Crumbled queso fresco, nonfat plain Greek yogurt and/or diced avocado for garnish
Directions

• 1 Heat oil in a large soup pot (8-quart or larger) over medium heat. Add onions, carrot, celery, poblano (or bell pepper) and garlic; cook, stirring frequently, until softened, 10 to 12 minutes. Add cabbage; cook, stirring occasionally, until slightly softened, about 10 minutes more. Add tomato paste, chipotle, cumin and coriander; cook, stirring, for 1 minute more.
  • 2 Add broth, water, beans and salt. Cover and bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat and simmer, partially covered, until the vegetables are tender, about 10 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in cilantro and lime juice. Serve garnished with cheese, yogurt and/or avocado, if desired.

Attachments

• Mexican soup 1.JPG
    Mexican soup 1.JPG
    107.1 KB · Views: 122
  • Mexican soup 2.JPG
    Mexican soup 2.JPG
    136.3 KB · Views: 117
  • Mexican soup 3.JPG
    Mexican soup 3.JPG
    85.9 KB · Views: 123
  • Mexican soup 4.JPG
    Mexican soup 4.JPG