Peep's Creamy Turkey (or Chicken) Confetti Soup

lilbopeep

🌹🐰 Still trying to get it right.
Site Supporter

• Turkey stock (or chicken stock) - canned or Homemade
  • Original Uncle Ben's Wild and white rice (seasoning pack NOT used)
  • Cooked Turkey (or chicken) (I roasted a turkey & used leftover turkey for soup) - chopped small
  • Bacon - cooked, drained and crumbled (some drippings may be used for the fat in the roux)
  • Scallions (green onions) - cleaned well and chopped, greens included
  • Pimiento stuffed green olives - chopped fine
  • Chives - chopped
  • Salt
  • Ground peppercorns
  • Turkey (or chicken) gravy ( I used leftover turkey gravy from the turkey dinner) - optional

Amounts depend on how much soup you want to make and how thick you want it to be.
  1. Cook the rice in the stock till tender (approx. 20 - 30 minutes).
  2. Add remaining ingredients. Add more stock if necessary after rice is cooked till you have desired amount of soup.
  3. Simmer an additional 5 - 10 minutes.
  4. Then add the creamy part of soup.(For the creamy part follow recipe below)
To make the cream part of soup:
  • Flour
  • Butter (or a combo of butter and bacon fat)
  • 1/2 and 1/2
  • Salt
  • Ground peppercorns
  1. Cook flour in butter (equal amounts of each) for 1 - 2 minutes.
  2. Add enough 1/2 & 1/2 to make a very thick mixture. Add salt and ground peppercorns to taste.
  3. Cook for about 1 minute stirring.
  4. Then add to the soup. Stir well and gently simmer for 5 minutes. DO NOT BOIL OR YOU RISK BREAKING THE CREAM.
(Sorry I don't have exact measurements as I made this recipe up. But the only part you need to worry about is the cream part and you can always make more and add it to soup till you get it the way you like it. Start off small and add more if necessary. Add more stock or milk or cream or 1/2 & 1/2 or a combo if to thick.)

112710_creamy_turkey_soup.jpg

Last edited:

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Peep, this soup is SO intriguing!

I love everything in it.

I will eat anything that has stuffed green olives in it, so I'm going to try this one!

Thanks!

Lee

lilbopeep

Site Supporter
Peep, this soup is SO intriguing!

I love everything in it.

I will eat anything that has stuffed green olives in it, so I'm going to try this one!

Thanks!

Lee
Thank you lee. I hope you enjoy it.

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Hey, Peep. I copied and saved this recipe to try when you first posted it.

I'm looking at it again, and am wondering how you liked the green olives in it.

Was it an odd flavor in the soup, or did it add a lot?

Lee

lilbopeep

Site Supporter
Hey, Peep. I copied and saved this recipe to try when you first posted it.

I'm looking at it again, and am wondering how you liked the green olives in it.

Was it an odd flavor in the soup, or did it add a lot?

Lee
Did you ever eat something and there was something about it that put it over the top but you couldn't quite put your finger on it? The olives give it that nameless kick. If that makes sense.

Thank you LS

Last edited:

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
LOL!

That's all I needed to know!

I'll be using them when I make it - thanks, Peep!

Lee

Cooksie

Site Supporter

• Turkey stock (or chicken stock) - canned or Homemade
  • Original Uncle Ben's Wild and white rice (seasoning pack NOT used)
  • Cooked Turkey (or chicken) (I roasted a turkey & used leftover turkey for soup) - chopped small
  • Bacon - cooked, drained and crumbled (some drippings may be used for the fat in the roux)
  • Scallions (green onions) - cleaned well and chopped, greens included
  • Pimiento stuffed green olives - chopped fine
  • Chives - chopped
  • Salt
  • Ground peppercorns
  • Turkey (or chicken) gravy ( I used leftover turkey gravy from the turkey dinner) - optional

Amounts depend on how much soup you want to make and how thick you want it to be.
  1. Cook the rice in the stock till tender (approx. 20 - 30 minutes).
  2. Add remaining ingredients. Add more stock if necessary after rice is cooked till you have desired amount of soup.
  3. Simmer an additional 5 - 10 minutes.
  4. Then add the creamy part of soup.(For the creamy part follow recipe below)
To make the cream part of soup:

• Flour
  • Butter (or a combo of butter and bacon fat)
  • 1/2 and 1/2
  • Salt
  • Ground peppercorns
  1. Cook flour in butter (equal amounts of each) for 1 - 2 minutes.
  2. Add enough 1/2 & 1/2 to make a very thick mixture. Add salt and ground peppercorns to taste.
  3. Cook for about 1 minute stirring.
  4. Then add to the soup. Stir well and gently simmer for 5 minutes. DO NOT BOIL OR YOU RISK BREAKING THE CREAM.
(Sorry I don't have exact measurements as I made this recipe up. But the only part you need to worry about is the cream part and you can always make more and add it to soup till you get it the way you like it. Start off small and add more if necessary. Add more stock or milk or cream or 1/2 & 1/2 or a combo if to thick.)

View attachment 23771

lilbopeep

Site Supporter
When I could get the box that had the uncooked rice and the seasoning pack I didn't use it because I didn't want the strong herb flavor. But now I only seem to be able to get the UB "Ready Rice" with the herb seasoning already added. This is good and bad. I don't have to cook anything but the bacon. Everything else just gets added into the pot with the broth. AND I don't have to worry about how much broth the rice absorbs and add extra if needed. BUT I now have to deal with the herb flavor which isn't awful but I have no control over what's in the seasoning.

Cooksie

Site Supporter
Thanks! I think I'm going to try this. I love the long grain and wild rice original mix. It has always been a standard side for Cornish hens. I think I'll like the herby flavor. I've never read what's in the packet. I'll read the ingredients before trying the packet in the soup.

lilbopeep

Site Supporter
Thanks! I think I'm going to try this. I love the long grain and wild rice original mix. It has always been a standard side for Cornish hens. I think I'll like the herby flavor. I've never read what's in the packet. I'll read the ingredients before trying the packet in the soup.
You're welcome Cooksie.
BTW if you use the Ready Rice brown the bacon then remove and drain. Make the roux in the same pot using the bacon fat. Make the sauce thick. Then add the broth slowly and stir/whisk good to avoid lumps. Add everything including bacon to pot and bring to boil. It is so much quicker. Let me know what you think.

It's been so cool and dreary I've been craving your Sausage, Kale and White Bean Soup (I may sub baby spinach or baby kale & spinach mix instead of the regular kale).

Cooksie

Site Supporter
You're welcome Cooksie.
BTW if you use the Ready Rice brown the bacon then remove and drain. Make the roux in the same pot using the bacon fat. Make the sauce thick. Then add the broth slowly and stir/whisk good to avoid lumps. Add everything including bacon to pot and bring to boil. It is so much quicker. Let me know what you think.

It's been so cool and dreary I've been craving your Sausage, Kale and White Bean Soup (I may sub baby spinach or baby kale & spinach mix instead of the regular kale).
Got it! Thanks for the tips.
I went and looked. I have 3 boxes of the regular rice mix, so that's what I'll be using. I read the ingredients in the packet too. Nothing really bothered me. It has some gluten and sugar, neither of which bother me. I'm pretty sure I'll have some leftover chicken on Monday, so that's my target to try.

Baby spinach would be good in the Sausage, Kale, and White Bean Soup. Tis the soup season :)