shucking corn

Abby

More coffee please
Super Site Supporter
I was at an open-air market over the weekend picking out some corn on the cob. I stuck my thumb nail in and pulled back a little of the shuck to see the kernels and the sales clerk said that it was against Ohio Law to do this. Anyone else hear of this? Does anyone know where I can find the law that states this?

VeraBlue

Head Mistress
Gold Site Supporter
Not that I'm form Ohio, but I've never heard of such a thing.

I understand people who want to pull an inch back to see the top (and you tell if the top is good by pressing instead of exposing the area) but I don't know why anyone would want to strip it entirely. The corn is protected by the husk.

K

Kimchee

I'd never buy corn in the husk without checking for bugs first!!!!!

VeraBlue

Head Mistress
Gold Site Supporter
I agree that bugs are distasteful, no pun intended. However, some of them are all the way at the bottom. If you remove the entire husk and decide you don't want to purchase that ear, the corn begins to deteriorate, leaving it almost unsellable.
I can see why there would be a law against removing all the husks.

Fresh corn comes with the risk of a bug or two, a worm here and there. Should a consumer get to rip open 10 ears looking for the perfect 2? I tend to side with the farmer on this one. You can tell if an ear is full of plump kernels simply by pressing on the husk from top to bottom. I'm not saying you have to squeeze the milk out, but if you run your thumb along the length of the corn, you can tell if there are any holes or gaps in the kernels. That would be a reason not to buy, indeed. But a bug or two...that's part of the product, part of the purchase practice.

I don't imagine you'll change your method. I'm just pointing out what that practice does to the farmer. Multiply it by 25 other people and I can see why there would be a law against it.

K

Kimchee

Pulling the husk back far enough to see the very top of the kernels does not injure or reduce the shelf life of the corn.
Yanking it all the way down does, and isn't what I do. If I get one with a worm at the bottom, that will be a first, but I've saved myself from buying quite a few bad ears by checking the kernels at the top.
From watching the customers in the grocery stores here, it's pretty much accepted fresh corn buying behavior. I've not seen anyone ever strip an ear all the way down to check it for bugs.
I don't imagine you'll change your behavior, but Im just pointing out what banning the practice does to the farmer. Multiply people not buying because they can't check the ear.... (Two sides to every story, LOL! :) )

Abby

More coffee please
Super Site Supporter
I did not pull the husk back or down. I simply put my thumb nail in and separated until I saw the kernels. I would never shuck an entire ear then decide I didn't want it. I would just loke to see this "law" in writing, otherwise I'm thinking this lady was having a bad day!

Sass Muffin

Coffee Queen ☕
Gold Site Supporter
I was at an open-air market over the weekend picking out some corn on the cob. I stuck my thumb nail in and pulled back a little of the shuck to see the kernels and the sales clerk said that it was against Ohio Law to do this. Anyone else hear of this? Does anyone know where I can find the law that states this?

Man, that's kinda goofy, Abby.
I've been checking corn like that both in the supermarket and the farmer's markets. Never had anyone complain, but then again.. it's probably cause I have yet to be caught doing so? ;)

I've Googled and can't find any such law pertaining, so I'd just chalk it up to Buckeye sales clerk having a bad day. sheesh.

mhend

At the local Publix here, when they have fresh corn they have a huge garbage can set up beside the stand and there are people who shuck several before purchasing and toss the husks in the trash.

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
At the local Publix here, when they have fresh corn they have a huge garbage can set up beside the stand and there are people who shuck several before purchasing and toss the husks in the trash.

Really? Must be a South-end thing. I haven't seen that at the Publix in my neck of the woods. :lol:

Personally, and call me naive, I've always just assumed the corn was good and just grabbed it and took it home. Knock-on-wood, I haven't been burned yet. Man, imagine my horror if after grilling it in the husk I peeled it open to find out it was actually bad.

Now I've got a whole new world of concern over my fresh corn! :yum:

As for it being a law, I Googled too and saw nothing. Probably just that person having a bad day and wanting to be a smart-alec or trying to be scary and literal by saying that "opening" food (or any other store item) without paying for it is illegal?

mhend

Really? Must be a South-end thing. I haven't seen that at the Publix in my neck of the woods. :lol:

Personally, and call me naive, I've always just assumed the corn was good and just grabbed it and took it home. Knock-on-wood, I haven't been burned yet. Man, imagine my horror if after grilling it in the husk I peeled it open to find out it was actually bad.

Now I've got a whole new world of concern over my fresh corn! :yum:

As for it being a law, I Googled too and saw nothing. Probably just that person having a bad day and wanting to be a smart-alec or trying to be scary and literal by saying that "opening" food (or any other store item) without paying for it is illegal?

Must have something to do with being way to close to Lacey's Spring. :wink: I never check mine either.

SilverSage

Resident Crone
Publix here always has the garbage can, too. People don't shuck it and then choose; they choose and then shuck. They put the naked ears in a bag to the checkout counter. I guess they think they're keeping the mess out of their kitchen.

I open just the end and peek to make sure the kernals are plump, not shriveled. But I choose by weight. An ear of corn should feel heavy for its size. Pick up a few ears that look the same size - you'll often find a big difference.

I like to leave mine in the husk, soak it in water for a while before putting it on the grill.

Fisher's Mom

Mother Superior
Super Site Supporter
I check the ends, too, by just peeling back enough to see if the kernels look plump and fresh. But not enough to cause a problem. I cook mine in the husks in the microwave.

mhend

That makes me feel better about it, SS. I am sure that's what the majority of people do. The last time I was there, a lady was literally shucking ear after ear and if she didn't like them, she put them back on the display. :shock:

buzzard767

golfaknifeaholic
Gold Site Supporter
Publix here always has the garbage can, too. People don't shuck it and then choose; they choose and then shuck. They put the naked ears in a bag to the checkout counter. I guess they think they're keeping the mess out of their kitchen.

I've seen that at Publix in FL and at Roundy's in WI. At farmers markets nearly every vendor will display a shucked sample. Once in awhile I'll peel just enough to see three or four rows of kernels, but honestly, I've never been burned.

VeraBlue

Head Mistress
Gold Site Supporter
I've seen people doing the same complete shucking thing at Shop Rite in Hackensack, NJ... so that's no surprise. It's just not my thing. I'm a check the very tip person.
When I was young, that was a coveted job, shucking the corn before a BBQ. You'd take 10 ears or so outside and work directly over the garbage pail. I'd secretly be choosing the ear I wanted at that point.

mhend

I've seen people doing the same complete shucking thing at Shop Rite in Hackensack, NJ... so that's no surprise. It's just not my thing. I'm a check the very tip person.
When I was young, that was a coveted job, shucking the corn before a BBQ. You'd take 10 ears or so outside and work directly over the garbage pail. I'd secretly be choosing the ear I wanted at that point.

Me too, Vera. I remember so fondly, sitting on the front porch at my homeplace, shucking corn with my mom, grandmother and great-grandmother. I loved their stories and so loved how that corn smelled :)

Maverick2272

Stewed Monkey
Super Site Supporter
I don't shuck at all either, just feel for solid kernels and weight. I have seen people at the super market shuck half the display and then walk away with only four ears of corn, kinda makes me mad too.
I do like to grill mine then shuck it, and as for worms I will quote my dad, "worms are just extra protein..."

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Fresh corn is so iffy here in the Boston area, that almost everyone in supermarkets pulls back the husks to some degree.

Sometimes, the market will put a big trash can next to the corn, condoning the shuck.

Other times, the SAME market will post a sign, "Please do not shuck corn".

Weird.

Doesn't make much difference either way, because at the market I go to in the center of town, many of the customers either cannot read English, or they can, but pretend not to.

I buy my corn at roadside stands or farms in August. There, they just toss the ears that THEY pick out into your bag and send you to checkout. Never have to worry about a bad ear.

Lee

Phiddlechik

I buy by feel, solid, tightly wrapped husks, dry silk. At farmer's market, I just get the doz ears already in a bag. Great stuff, bicolor, yellow and white. Fabulous stuff.