I think I am cured of McDonalds

Adillo303

Gold Site Supporter
I get in to work fairly early (5:30 AM). When I get off the bus, I have to walk past a McDonalds to get to my office. I have on occasion stopped in for breakfast. My only real complaint was that the biscuits "had been waiting for me for a while".

Typically, I do not stop. This morning, I was particularly hungry and decided that stale biscuits weren't all that bad. I walked up to the counter and was about to order. I could see the French fryer from where I stood. It had a brown ring around the inside of it. Well, says I, that must be one they are cleaning. The lady on her way to take my order loaded up the holder with a row of hash browns and dropped the basket in the grease. I turned around and left. I don't think I will ever be that hungry.

Deelady

:huh::sick:

Ever since I saw the experiment of their fries not breaking down and decomposing in a jar after months compared to other foods and staying exactly the same, I've been keeping my distance!

Sass Muffin

Coffee Queen ☕
Gold Site Supporter
I had a similar experience, only it was at BK.
It was those little hash brown rounds.
They tasted like they'd been fried in week old oil.

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I have McDonald's maybe once every two years, and enjoy the HECK out of it!

You guys have done nothing to dissuade me!

Lee

buckytom

Grill Master
i have to be dragged kicking and screaming to mickey d's or bk.

ok, not that dramatic but i worked in a bk when i was a kid and we served some pretty disgusting stuff. i remember a stack of frozen burgers falling into the mop bucket and a coworker just breaking them apart and cooking them anyway. ugh.

another was being bullied and his wallet was tossed in the deep fryer. the kid stuck his hand in after it not thinking of what he was doing.
when he retracted his hand, screaming, i could see the flesh dripping off it.

they rushed him to the hospital, and never changed the oil.

too many more stories to write on a phone.

the only fast food joint that i like is a particular wendy's near me. you can tell they change their oil often, and the burgers are far beter even than other nearby wendys.

ChowderMan

Pizza Chef
Super Site Supporter
bt -

yeah, I seldom go fast-foodun, but I have to say the Whopper is my preferred burger of the ilk.

otoh, MickeyD's Sausage McMuffin with Egg is prolly the only 'breakfast' fastfunk stuff I'll even consider.

I once carelessly went to a BK - thinking all the breakfast sandwiches must be sorta' the same. somebody mentioned their biscuit had been waiting too long.... well, the biscuit I got had been waiting since my grandmother was a small girl. inedible. I quite literally took a bite or two, threw it all in the trash and left.

Cuisinette

I haven't been in a McD or BK in 10 years, and like BT I have to be dragged in there and still not eat.

The last burger I had was at a private burger place Bad Boy Burger, where the patties are hand made.
But on a long trip I prefer Subway.

vyapti

I worked at MdD in high school and at another store in college. You'd be appalled at some of the things we served:

• Bacon was cooked at 11:00 am and left out on the counter all day. Sometimes 8+hour old bacon was used on a burger.
  • I used to cook meat an hour (or more) before we closed and keep it in a warmer with lots of grease to make it seem fresh.
  • Deep fried stuff was routinely kept for a couple hours or more if it was slow.
  • We would take a day's worth of mayo and tartar sauce out in the morning. They were left out all day and put back into refrigeration at closing if it wasn't used.
And those were some of the things we didn't get in trouble for. You would cringe at the things that poorly supervised teens will do to your food.

Sass Muffin

Coffee Queen ☕
Gold Site Supporter
Oh I still enjoy a fast food burger.. very much so.
Mac and Don's Supper Club isn't my choice, nor is Booger King..
I like a place here called A&W the best. The meat tastes like no other, the fried foods are always good and it's owned by the same family who've had it for years.
We still refer to it as 'the root beer stand'

Worst breakfast menu sandwiches.. Arby's.. always floppy with the croissants or hard with the biscuits, always bland.. not to mention overpriced.

Sass Muffin

Coffee Queen ☕
Gold Site Supporter
I worked at MdD in high school and at another store in college. You'd be appalled at some of the things we served:

• Bacon was cooked at 11:00 am and left out on the counter all day. Sometimes 8+hour old bacon was used on a burger.
  • I used to cook meat an hour (or more) before we closed and keep it in a warmer with lots of grease to make it seem fresh.
  • Deep fried stuff was routinely kept for a couple hours or more if it was slow.
  • We would take a day's worth of mayo and tartar sauce out in the morning. They were left out all day and put back into refrigeration at closing if it wasn't used.
And those were some of the things we didn't get in trouble for. You would cringe at the things that poorly supervised teens will do to your food.

No wonder you're a vegan, Vy. :) lol

buzzard767

golfaknifeaholic
Gold Site Supporter
I haven't been in a McD or BK in 10 years, and like BT I have to be dragged in there and still not eat.

The last burger I had was at a private burger place Bad Boy Burger, where the patties are hand made.
But on a long trip I prefer Subway.

I'm with you, Cuisee, it's been over a decade. The thought of all those greasy calories sliding down to and adhering to my belly is more than I can, ummmm, stomach. lol

Leni

The best burger place around here is In 'N Out. Everything is fresh, never frozen, not even the fries. You sure can taste the difference. It is strictly a drive through and they always have cars lined up to place their orders.

UncleRalph

Quo Fata Ferunt
Site Supporter
I am still amazed at the amount of people that flock to the McD's here in the states. . .the food, well, it certainly leaves something to be desired.

I swear, the McD's overseas are different, I can't put my finger on it, but the burger you get looks like the ones in the pictures, it tastes more like a burger, I am sure the addition of a cold beer helps too.

MexicoKaren

Joyfully Retired
Super Site Supporter
Uncle Ralph said:
I swear, the McD's overseas are different, I can't put my finger on it, but the burger you get looks like the ones in the pictures, it tastes more like a burger

You know what? I think you're right. I hadn't been to a McDonalds in many, many years (and Jerry never has), but a few weeks ago, DD and I went to Nuevo Vallarta (a strictly manufactured resort community about five miles from us) to the American consular office to pick up her renewed passport. There is a McDonalds in the shopping mall where the office is, and she said, "Oh heck, let's get McDonalds." I was skeptical, but agreed. I had a Big Mac. It looked even BETTER than the picture and tasted delicious. The fries were great, Go figure!

Sass Muffin

Coffee Queen ☕
Gold Site Supporter
I swear, the McD's overseas are different, I can't put my finger on it, but the burger you get looks like the ones in the pictures, it tastes more like a burger, I am sure the addition of a cold beer helps too.

Nahh... you are correct Ralph.
Not to mention the ketchup seems to be darker, with a lot more vinegar.
It's Heinz in the UK, but it's nowt like the Heinz in the states.
That's probably the first thing I noticed when I had any ketchup over there.

Doc

Administrator
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I would like to try 5 guys and in and out burgers one day. Neither are anywhere close to me. :(