Karen's Lemony Chicken aka Chicken Francaise

MexicoKaren

Joyfully Retired
Super Site Supporter
[FONT=Trebuchet MS, sans-serif]Karen's Lemony Chicken (serves two generously)[/FONT]

[FONT=Trebuchet MS, sans-serif]You will need:[/FONT]
[FONT=Trebuchet MS, sans-serif]For the chicken - [/FONT]
[FONT=Trebuchet MS, sans-serif]2 large chicken breast halves (I cut these myself from one whole bone-in chicken breast) [/FONT]
[FONT=Trebuchet MS, sans-serif]1 cup flour [/FONT]
[FONT=Trebuchet MS, sans-serif]2 tsp fines herbes [/FONT]
[FONT=Trebuchet MS, sans-serif]1 tsp freshly ground sea salt [/FONT]
[FONT=Trebuchet MS, sans-serif]1 tsp white pepper [/FONT]
[FONT=Trebuchet MS, sans-serif]1 tsp garlic powder[/FONT]
[FONT=Trebuchet MS, sans-serif]2 eggs [/FONT]
[FONT=Trebuchet MS, sans-serif]juice of 1/2 lemon[/FONT]
[FONT=Trebuchet MS, sans-serif]4 TBS butter[/FONT]
[FONT=Trebuchet MS, sans-serif]2 TBS extra virgin olive oil[/FONT]

[FONT=Trebuchet MS, sans-serif]For the sauce -[/FONT]
[FONT=Trebuchet MS, sans-serif]3-4 cloves garlic[/FONT]
[FONT=Trebuchet MS, sans-serif]¼ cup white wine (optional)[/FONT]
[FONT=Trebuchet MS, sans-serif]1 cup chicken broth[/FONT]
[FONT=Trebuchet MS, sans-serif]juice of 1 lemon[/FONT]
[FONT=Trebuchet MS, sans-serif]2 TBS cornstarch[/FONT]
[FONT=Trebuchet MS, sans-serif]½ cup water[/FONT]
[FONT=Trebuchet MS, sans-serif]½ lemon, thinly sliced[/FONT]

[FONT=Trebuchet MS, sans-serif]To start:[/FONT]
[FONT=Trebuchet MS, sans-serif]Place the chicken breasts on a sturdy cutting board, cover them with plastic wrap, then gently pound them with the side of a meat mallet, wine bottle or rolling pin until they are about a half inch thick, as evenly as possible[/FONT]

[FONT=Trebuchet MS, sans-serif]Now, mix the flour and the spices together in a shallow bowl, then whisk the eggs and juice of ½ lemon in another shallow bowl.[/FONT]

[FONT=Trebuchet MS, sans-serif]Cut each breast cutlet in half, dip in flour, shake off excess, then dip in egg mixture and back in the flour. Put on a rack and let it dry for 10-15 minutes.[/FONT]

[FONT=Trebuchet MS, sans-serif]Heat 4 TBS butter and 2 TBS olive oil in a heavy frying pan (I used cast iron). When it is bubbling nicely, add the chicken pieces and cook over medium high heat for about 4-5 minutes a side. Put on an ovenproof plate and keep them warm in a 150F oven. Don't cover – they'll lose their crispness.[/FONT]

[FONT=Trebuchet MS, sans-serif]To make the sauce in the same pan:[/FONT]

[FONT=Trebuchet MS, sans-serif]Chop 3-4 cloves of garlic and saute them on medium heat for about five minutes. You should have plenty of butter/oil left. Turn the heat up and deglaze the pan with a splash (app. ¼ cup) of dry white wine. OR, you can forget the wine, and just use the chicken broth to deglaze the pan. Add the juice of one lemon, and a handful of thin lemon slices (from the other half of the lemon that you mixed with egg for dipping the chicken). Let it cook down a bit, then add the cornstarch, which you have mixed with water until no lumps remain. Let it bubble long enough to thicken and cook the cornstarch, about 3 minutes.[/FONT][FONT=Trebuchet MS, sans-serif]
[/FONT]
[FONT=Trebuchet MS, sans-serif]Serve over cooked spaghetti tossed with butter – lay the chicken over the spaghetti, 2 pieces per serving, and then pour the sauce over the top. Garnish with the lemon slices and some parsley or sliced green onions.[/FONT]

Attachments

• chicken francaise.jpg
    chicken francaise.jpg
    69.5 KB · Views: 434
Last edited:

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Holy cow, Karen, that's making my mouth water!

I am not a big fan of boneless, skinless chicken breasts, but I have a package of them in the freezer. I've been trying to ignore them.

But now THIS I can go for!

Thanks for the recipe and picture!

Lee

mhend

This sounds wonderful Karen. I'm going to try it for dinner tonight. Thanks for posting the recipe!

JackieBlue

Banned
That looks great Karen! I love lemon chicken and make it occasionally. But your recipe is a little different, so I'll give it a try too. Thanks for posting!

MexicoKaren

Joyfully Retired
Super Site Supporter
Mr. Greenjeans said:
Karen, fines herbes can you elaborate?

Fines herbes are a mixture of tarragon, chives, parsley and chervil. You can just use them separately (if you have all of them, chervil seems to be the elusive herb) or use as many as you have. I think tarragon is the essential ingredient.

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
That looks and sounds incredible Karen! I'm definitely making this soon! Thank you!! :kiss:

MexicoKaren

Joyfully Retired
Super Site Supporter
Mr. GJ - You should be able to find fines herbes in the spice section of your regular grocery store - it's not Mexican, it's French. I was surprised to find it here. Thanks, keltin - I hope you enjoy it. It's fun to see other people make your recipes - Mary's turned out looking better than mine...