Movies You Watched

joec

Gold Site Supporter
I watched Sicko by Michael Moore today for the first time. This needs to be seen by everyone is all I can say. For those that don't know what it is about then it is about the state of health care in the US and many other countries as well in comparison.

buckytom

Grill Master
i saw "right america" last night.

please tell me that it was just a very strong left spin on things. i mean, i know there's idiots everywhere you go. but i hope that was just a small minority that was selected to make the entire south look bad.

if not, i think i need a gun.

Luckytrim

Grill Master
Gold Site Supporter
We loaded "Secret Window" last night; hadn't watched it for a couple of years and decided to re-visit it. It's in my top three Johnny Depp movies, and I highly recommend it as a must see.................

joec

Gold Site Supporter
i saw "right america" last night.

please tell me that it was just a very strong left spin on things. i mean, i know there's idiots everywhere you go. but i hope that was just a small minority that was selected to make the entire south look bad.

if not, i think i need a gun.

I haven't seen it yet have but have heard a bit about it. I don't think this is spin but more truthfully than many would really believe nor want to. The world is full of stupid people that are scary in their beliefs so it doesn't surprise me if it was 100% factual. I have actually meet people that have many of the same beliefs in my life, surprisingly more so of late.

Luckytrim

Grill Master
Gold Site Supporter
This Review of "Right America" pretty much reflects my reaction to the film
(BTW- could we even be HAVING this exchange at our old home-site?)

I have to confess that I enjoyed the film on 2 levels. As a liberal, I laughed out loud through much of the movie. The evil partisan in me took dickish glee at the crying of McCain supporters. I then felt bad about it, and re-watched those sections.There are many genuinely funny moments in the piece. I almost spit my drink when the McCain campaign worker confides to the camera, in a stage whisper, that the house in her neighborhood with the new Obama sign has "two lesbians" living in it.

What the film really does well, though, is to humanize people who are often seen as caricatures. I especially liked the guy who shows up about 28 minutes in. He's disappointed that he can't fly the confederate flag anymore or go to "tittie bars." It would be easy to laugh at the guy, especially when he starts crying, but If you listen to him, he's not against the government helping people. He just doesn't think it will help him.

Then, there's the Mississippi man who matter-of-factly says that Obama is the "wrong color" to come to his state. Another man, a trucker, tells Pelosi he isn't going to vote for a "n****r." But then, a black Mississippi man chides Pelosi for showing that clip to "paint Mississippi bad," when there's racism in New York, in Los Angeles, all over.

I have another confession to make. I secretly was kind of on the side of the guy who attacked the dude with the "Emperor has no clothes" sign. Of course, I'm against violence, but I can understand the guy getting angry. That's the kind of self-satisfied, smug "cleverness" that makes me want to slap some liberals upside the head. Why humiliate McCain with a bad photoshop job, when you can just read his health care plan !

I also must further confess that, when a McCain supporter yelled at a protester to "Get a job!", I was reasonably certain that the person she was yelling at did not, in fact, have a job.

BamsBBQ

Ni pedo
Site Supporter
I watched Sicko by Michael Moore today for the first time. This needs to be seen by everyone is all I can say. For those that don't know what it is about then it is about the state of health care in the US and many other countries as well in comparison.

i liked this movie as well... mind you if you get a chance, i would watch any Michael Moore movies...

we just watched "7 Pounds" with Will Smith last night. The movie was ok..it wasnt as good as i thought it was going to be but it is still watchable.

Y

YT2095

I`v got "Push" and "The Unborn" to watch over the weekend, I watched "the Mutant Chronicles" last night, what can I say other than it wasn`t worth the bandwidth used to download it.
I`d give it a Miss.

Luckytrim

Grill Master
Gold Site Supporter
anybody seen "Changeling" yet ?
got a bootleg copy laying here, but I'm not sure I'm interested..............

FooD

anybody seen "Changeling" yet ?
got a bootleg copy laying here, but I'm not sure I'm interested..............
I watched it again on the dish network just last night. I originally saw it on a dvd several months ago. It's a great movie based on a true story.

FooD

I saw this movie a couple of years ago. Interesting film about our health care system compared to some other nations'.
But since I don't like his politics, I do not buy into a lot of 'facts' presented in any of his films.

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Does anyone use the website "Rotten Tomatoes" when deciding what movies to rent?

I do. Or did. I think I'm going to give up on it.

Today, we watched "Hancock" with Will Smith, Jason Bateman and Charlize Theron, which was panned by critics but we found surprisingly funny and entertaining. My brother picked that one from a Blockbuster list.

And then we watched "Adaptation" (Nicolas Cage and Meryl Streep) which was highly rated on Rotten Tomatoes. That was a big "what the ......?"

Maybe I'll just use this thread for recommendations from now on. :smile:

Lee

Luckytrim

Grill Master
Gold Site Supporter
We enjoyed HANCOCK yesterday........ entertaining...... but I'm wondering why he didn't start losing his strength around her BEFORE she "enlightened" him.........

Then we put in The Ninth Gate, which I've had forever but never watched........shoulda' watched that one first, as I dozed off about 20 minutes into it............

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Saw "Mirrors" with Keifer Sutherland last night. It was scary, but could and should have been a LOT scarier, more nerve-wracking, with less blood. Crummy ending.

Mirrors can be verrrrrrrrrrrrrry scary.

Lee

Fisher's Mom

Mother Superior
Super Site Supporter
And then we watched "Adaptation" (Nicolas Cage and Meryl Streep) which was highly rated on Rotten Tomatoes. That was a big "what the ......?"
Lee
I had the same reaction to Adaptation, Lee. I thought it was just me...

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
Watched Saw 5 last night. It was ok. Mostly flashbacks to the other movies explaining how things happened, but it did have one central new "game" running through the middle.

heb1976

Hubby watched Righteous Kill - said it was dumb
I watched :
Mama Mia - hated it - turned it off half way through
Nights In Rodanthe - it was ok - the ending mad me mad

Going to watch (hopefully) either Swing Vote or Step Brothers tonight

heb1976

Does anyone use the website "Rotten Tomatoes" when deciding what movies to rent?

I do. Or did. I think I'm going to give up on it.

Today, we watched "Hancock" with Will Smith, Jason Bateman and Charlize Theron, which was panned by critics but we found surprisingly funny and entertaining. My brother picked that one from a Blockbuster list.

Maybe I'll just use this thread for recommendations from now on. :smile:

Lee

Hubby and I have noticed that when the critics say it is good - we will hate it and if they say it is bad - we will like it.

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Nights In Rodanthe - it was ok - the ending mad me mad

Me, too, Heather! pfffft!

But any time I get to see Richard Gere in a romantic movie, it's worth it. And that inn on the beach ......:wub:

Lee

sattie

Resident Rocker Lady
Penelope - Cute movie...

Forgetting Sarah Marshall - Out of all 3 movies we watched this weekend (Mr. Brooks as well), this was the most entertaining of them all.

chowhound

Penelope - Cute movie...

Forgetting Sarah Marshall - Out of all 3 movies we watched this weekend (Mr. Brooks as well), this was the most entertaining of them all.

Forgetting Sarah Marshall must be pretty good. I watched Mr Brooks several times before I sent it back. I thought that was so cool and unique the way they handled his alter ego.