What's cooking NCT Sunday 8/13/2017 to Saturday 8/19/2017?

Luckytrim

Grill Master
Gold Site Supporter
LT, be careful with packages like that and don't depend on them actually being usable for your dinner, i.e. have a back-up plan. We got a couple of similar packages at a reputable market, brought them straight home, into freezer, thawed 1 out a week or so later and, whooo, ammonia was all we could smell. Didn't even bother thawing the other package, just tossed it.

Yup ! I'm a sucker for this sort of thing..... sometimes with good results, most with so-so results and a few that are total washouts....

Used shelled mussels from this outfit a few weeks ago with nice results.... have two Baby Octopus in the freeze..... we'll see.... Which reminds me....

Does anybody have a clue what goes into the brown dipping liquid shown in my Tuscana pic ? I'm pretty certain that the Salad dressing was a sweet Vidalia Onion type, and I'm sure the brown stuff had a Balsamic base, but with a Teriyaki bent...
Can't look it up, 'cause I don't know what to call it...

Tuscana Octopus again.jpg

Last edited:

medtran49

Gold Site Supporter
Well, it could be just really old balsamic, $$$ for that thick, or it could be a reduction of industriale balsamic mixed with sugar, then boiled down to a thick syrupy glaze. You have to watch it like a hawk though cause it goes from thick syrupy glaze to burnt mess really, really fast. We've made this quite often to go on Italian dishes.

lilbopeep

🌹🐰 Still trying to get it right.
Site Supporter
I made yogurt yesterday. A little different this time. I used 1/2 gallon whole milk and a quart of 1/2 & 1/2. Left it strain for 12 hours in the fridge. These are the results today. It is so thick. Tastes wonderful.

I also made lime curd. Here are some pictures of the lime curd.

lime_curd_cooled_081717_1_IMG_2723.JPG

A picture of the yogurt with lemon curd, lime curd and strawberry compote. ALL made in the Instant Pot.

yogurt_081717_IMG_2731.JPG

medtran49

Gold Site Supporter
Shrimp and grits. Perfect grits, I'd have been happy with just them.

Attachments

• 2017-08-17 17.44.26.jpg
    2017-08-17 17.44.26.jpg
    70.5 KB · Views: 132

lilbopeep

Site Supporter
How do you make your grits? I can see the grits peeking out from underneath and they do look wonderful. What's your secret?

medtran49

Gold Site Supporter
Stone ground from a relatively small mill, follow the directions on the package for liquid amounts, and not the recipe. I know duh, but you'd be surprised. Cook low and slow partially covered, whisking frequently until they are nice and creamy, even if that means cooking longer than package directions and adding more liquid. I keep them in the freezer and pull them out right before using, but sometimes it takes 25 to 30 minutes, and other times up to an hour. I use heavy cream and either all water or a combo of water and chicken or shrimp stock depending on what they are being served with. If I add cheese, which I did tonight, sharp cheddar, I add same amount of cheese as I do grits after the grits are cooked. If I don't add cheese, I stir in some butter.

luvs

'lil Chef
Gold Site Supporter
macaroni & cheese-- we got wholey's; later on, i'm looking toward a salad &/or p'rogies

Sass Muffin

Coffee Queen ☕
Gold Site Supporter
Last night was Pizza Hut.
I had the honey bbq chicken sandwich with straight-cut fries (and cheese sauce):brows:
Our local PH was closed for renovation and re-opened as "wing street".. so the menu changed somewhat for the better!

Tonight I plan on having whatever the fridge or freezer whispers in my ear for inspiration. :D

Luckytrim

Grill Master
Gold Site Supporter
Last night ;

Panko-Coated Tilapia Filet in the oven... Carrots and Pearls, Baked Russet w/ Sour Cream.... Made entirely too much Tartar Sauce !

Tilapia, Panko-Coated.jpg

lilbopeep

Site Supporter
Dinner last night was Pancakes made with whey and fried ham steak.

whey_pancakes_081717_2_IMG_2737.JPG

Last edited:

Sass Muffin

Coffee Queen ☕
Gold Site Supporter
Our Local PH has added wings to their menu............ not so great .........

I know.
Especially the garlic/parm ones.. last time I had those I got sick as a dog .. AND they were hard.
:yum:

Supposedly they revamped their wings.
No thanks.

medtran49

Gold Site Supporter
Carbonara made with guanciale. Excellent.

Attachments

• 2017-08-18 18.03.41.jpg
    2017-08-18 18.03.41.jpg
    70.9 KB · Views: 114

Sass Muffin

Coffee Queen ☕
Gold Site Supporter
Not from the 'Hut, but..

Spinach, sweet potato and ham pizza with Classico alfredo sauce.
Mr. Dough Boy's blue can pizza crust was the base.

It was good.

Luckytrim

Grill Master
Gold Site Supporter
Last Night's Ham Steak w/ Sauerkraut , Buttery Mashed Potatoes and Smokehouse Maple-seasoned Lima Beans....

... and the inevitable Salad - Baby Spinach, Cucumber and red Onion, with Thousand Island Dressing

Ham and Saurkraut .jpg

Luckytrim

Grill Master
Gold Site Supporter
Okay .... New ground here ............... Turkey leg AND thigh ...........

Crossing Fingers ......................

IMG_4459.jpg

medtran49

Gold Site Supporter
Dogboa marinated some chicken in mojo and grilled it. He also made black beans and rice.

Sass Muffin

Coffee Queen ☕
Gold Site Supporter
Last night I had first choice off the menu at work.
Turkey tetrazzini, soft garlic bread stick and carrots.

Johnny West

We went out for dinner every meal for the weekend - I had bacon and eggs, halibut, bacon and eggs, bison, and bacon and eggs. :web:

Pictures to follow later today.... :)