Hot Tamales

Jim_S

Resident Curmudgeon
Gold Site Supporter
Hot Tamales (makes a LOT of tamales. You can freeze the extras)

To Prepare Meat:

10 lb. Beef Shoulder meat 2 onions, quartered 2 (6 oz.) cans tomato paste salt pepper water

Corn Meal Mush:

2 lb. Shortening 3 lb. Corn meal salt pepper

Meat:

3 large onions 2 garlic buttons 2 bottles chili powder 1 small bottle red pepper salt 1 (6 oz.)
can tomato paste

The night before you make your tamales, wash each corn shuck and place in water to soak
overnight. Boil meat until done and falling off bone, about 1 & ½ hours.

While meat is cooking, make mush in heavy skillet. Get shortening hot and add salted corn
meal. Stir meat until golden in color. Make a paste by adding soup off the meat and stirring
until smooth. Take meat off bone and grind together with onion and garlic. Add chili powder,
red pepper and salt. Put shortening in skillet and fry until onion is cooked, stirring
constantly. Add tomato paste and soup from meat making it soft. DO NOT GET IT TOO
SOFT. Spread meal mush on shucks about ¼ inch thick with a flat knife. Then put meat on
top and roll into tamale shape. Do Not Under Salt this dish. Corn meal requires a lot of salt.

This recipe makes approximately 25 dozen tamales.

Jim_S

Resident Curmudgeon
Gold Site Supporter
Jim,

Have you ever tried pulled pork for those tamales? :confused:

Not myself but have had pork tamales in restaurants.

I was raised in cattle country in Texas. I had no idea that a pig was good for anything but bacon and the Sunday ham until I went to college.

Attachments

• tx_flag4.gif
    tx_flag4.gif
    7 KB · Views: 122

Locutus

Not myself but have had pork tamales in restaurants.

I was raised in cattle country in Texas. I had no idea that a pig was good for anything but bacon and the Sunday ham until I went to college.

:D:D:D Wyoming is cattle country, too! But I sure do love Pork Tamales! :D:D