Best Online Shopping Sources

Fisher's Mom

Mother Superior
Super Site Supporter
I'm sure everyone here does at least some online shopping. I thought it would be nice to have a thread where you can share an especially good deal you know of or some of your favorite sites for bargains.

I check Woot.com every night at midnight, along with Sellout.Woot.com. Those are both one item per day sites, and they change the items at midnight. (Unless there a WootOff, in which case I stay up for 3 days straight, unwashed and starving, in hopes of scoring a Bag Of Crap!) All sorts of things offered here but it's mostly electronics and appliances.

I also love Passwird.com. This site is a list of the latest deals around the net. I have them up all day because they update it continuously. You can find most anything here but they are heavy on electronics, too.

Amazon.com had a Friday Sale every Friday. Sometimes, they have some very good deals on cookware and other kitchen items. Lots of items with free shipping, too.

So where are your favorite places?

Lefty

Yank
Amazon also has the goldbox deal of the day. Just click on the gold box a little left of center at the top of the page.

joec

Gold Site Supporter
I really don't watch for sales until I actually am looking for something. Then I will look for it using Google or some other search engine. I usually wind up buying from Amazon.com for most kitchen equipment such as the induction burner I just got. Pots and pans I buy either locally or will order a piece from HSN.com or QVC if they have them and often at their sale prices. Knives is where I limit myself to a couple of sites all selling Japanese brands only. One is direct from Japan which is Japanese Chef's Knife who has unbelievable service, fast cheap delivery and great customer service. Koren's in NYC is my other main source. Kitchen utensils I buy where I find them locally as a rule. I actually make many more purchases on the Internet than I do in local stores for more expensive items.

PanchoHambre

I like Ebay for odd or antique items (ebaying after drinking not the best idea though) If anyone is ever interested in buying vintage Cast Iron there are a few sellers/restoration hobbiests who have really nice product and fair auctions

Amazon I use for product research and often has great deals.

I use Craigslist for a lot of things as well

Much of the time I do my research online but buy in the store.

Fisher's Mom

Mother Superior
Super Site Supporter
Oh, how could I forget ebay, Jeekinz! I've gotten at least 1/4 of my stuff for the kitchen there. It's great. But I've never sold anything there. Have you? Any tips on that?

Fisher's Mom

Mother Superior
Super Site Supporter
Craig's List is a place I've been going to more and more frequently. I actually bought my stove off CL and got a great deal.

buckytom

Grill Master
be careful shipping outside the u.s., f-mom.

there's taxes involved with some countries (like canada), so you have to ship it as a gift, or inform the buyer that they have to pay the tax along with the shipping costs.

chowhound

I'm just the opposite, Pancho. I go to the store first, see what catches my eye, then research it and buy it online. Where ever has the best deal and good customer support reviews. More often than not I wind up at Amazon or ABT Electronics.

Fisher's Mom

Mother Superior
Super Site Supporter
I like Ebay for odd or antique items (ebaying after drinking not the best idea though)
:yum::yum: This is sooooo true! I ended up bidding on - and winning - a really creepy antique Victorian mourning broach. This thing has a wad of a dead person's hair stuck in it!!!! I have no idea why I bid on it but I'm pretty sure tequila had something to do with it.

Fisher's Mom

Mother Superior
Super Site Supporter
be careful shipping outside the u.s., f-mom.

there's taxes involved with some countries (like canada), so you have to ship it as a gift, or inform the buyer that they have to pay the tax along with the shipping costs.
Ahhh, I figured it was more complicated than posting a picture and some measurements.

buckytom

Grill Master
:yum::yum: This is sooooo true! I ended up bidding on - and winning - a really creepy antique Victorian mourning broach. This thing has a wad of a dead person's hair stuck in it!!!! I have no idea why I bid on it but I'm pretty sure tequila had something to do with it.

if you got a great deal, you might say the seller got scalped...

High Cheese

Saucier
I like Ebay for odd or antique items (ebaying after drinking not the best idea though)

Ah man, you said it.

On more than one occasion....ahem...I got up in the morning to check my email only to find multiple: Congratulations you just won- :shock:

I've been pretty good lately, but man does it suck.

High Cheese

Saucier
Oh, how could I forget ebay, Jeekinz! I've gotten at least 1/4 of my stuff for the kitchen there. It's great. But I've never sold anything there. Have you? Any tips on that?

Take tons of pictures. Package the item, weigh and measure so the shipping automatically gets calculated. Like BT said, I prefer to ONLY ship USA.

I sold a PT cruiser to a Canadian once, what a pain in the ass that was.

Fisher's Mom

Mother Superior
Super Site Supporter
I like this place, too:
http://www.resellerratings.com/
They have a listing of Hot Deals everyday. I even get a email each morning listing the Hot Deals for the day with links to each. I found my last 2 notebook purchases on their list and I also got a Nokia N810 for less than half price.

Fisher's Mom

Mother Superior
Super Site Supporter
Take tons of pictures. Package the item, weigh and measure so the shipping automatically gets calculated. Like BT said, I prefer to ONLY ship USA.

I sold a PT cruiser to a Canadian once, what a pain in the ass that was.
That always freaks me out - the idea of buying a car or a house off of ebay! It's too cool. Thanks for the tips, too. Looks like I need a good scale.

High Cheese

Saucier
You can add a few bucks to the base price of the item and include Free Shipping. Alot of buyers like that. Just make sure you're very clear where your Free Shipping to.

joec

Gold Site Supporter
I bought 90% of the after market parts for my Mustang off of eBay.

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
Ah man, you said it.

On more than one occasion....ahem...I got up in the morning to check my email only to find multiple: Congratulations you just won- :shock:

:yum::yum::yum:

So glad it's not just me! You always ask yourself....."What was I thinking.......damn, better make room in the closet"!! :lol:

Somebody needs to post that "Merlot and the Net don't mix" life lesson statue again!

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
Selling on eBay is cool, especially if you have the debit card from PayPal. But, I see no one has mentioned yet all the little fees eBay hits you with. A fee for listing, fee for pictures, fee for selling, etc, etc, etc. After selling quite a few things, I can see why so many people jack the shipping price on their items. High shipping still peeves me, but at least I understand why now. That and eBay can’t take a percentage of your shipping fees, but they do take a percentage of your final price for the sold item.

And what a pain in the ass it is to have someone back out and not pay!!! You have to relist it which means getting charged all those fees again, and then file with eBay to get your original fees back. :furious:

joec

Gold Site Supporter
In my business (self storage) I've had a few people that made a living off of ebay that now have left them completely and moved to Craig's List due to the fees.

PieSusan

Tortes Are Us
Super Site Supporter
Well, my favorite for baking and restaurant supply is: Kerekes Bakery & Restaurant Equipment Inc. or http://www.bakedeco.com/ The prices are really good.

If I can't get it at Dean Supply (locally), I order from them. They are fast, the merchandise is of good quality and I am very pleased with them. I think they also are on ebay, too.

Normally, I decide what I want and then I do a google shopping search to see where I can buy something the cheapest. Then, I check out the site to ensure they are reputable. I also search for coupon codes and free shipping etc.

http://www.forzieri.com/ This is an amazing store. My niece wanted a cameo for a birthday present and my dad wanted to oblige and had me search online after he didn't like what he saw locally at fine jewelry stores. I found this site, we selected one, and ordered. We got an email back saying that they are out of them but they could contact the artisan and have one made us for if we could wait otherwise or we could cancel the order. Well, we decided to wait, and it did not take forever. We were rewarded with a beautiful cameo that my niece loves to wear and it reminds her of her beloved Grandpa Bob of blessed memory.

If I think of others, I will post them here.

leolady

I am a nut for buying kitchen stuff, horse stuff for Ashen, and leo stuff on Ebay!

Yall know how I love the vintage, and this is where a lot of it comes. :shock:

I like Craigslist but not as much.

I have one "secret" online auction I like to frequent....but :sorry: I aint telling......

Deadly Sushi

Formerly The Giant Mojito
In my business (self storage) I've had a few people that made a living off of ebay that now have left them completely and moved to Craig's List due to the fees.

Ebay sucks. I cant find good deals there anymore. In fact its generally MORE expensive. And on top of that you have to use this paypal thing usually. I much rather shop at a site that is established and has good prices and I can use my credit card.

joec

Gold Site Supporter
I actually like Pay Pal myself and prefer using it rather than my credit cards.