"Sadie's Tender Turkey Secret"

sadie

Several years ago I had Thanksgiving at my house, and when we went to the table to cut the bird, someone said: "Ah-Ha! Now I know your secret!" and getting scared... I'm thinking "uh oh... you do?" and they replied "Yes, I see you leave the giblets and neck and all in the plastic bag while baking and that must be how you got your bird so tender" at which point I just started laughing because I totally forgot to take the giblets bag out of the turkey's butt before baking. :huh: duh.
Guess I just had a lot of other things on my mind at the time, like maybe 15 adults and 12 kids?
Well, I don't recommend preparing your bird this way but hey.......

mhend

LOL! That reminds me of when I worked in a kitchen at a nursing home. This was a long time ago - I think I was 19 or 20. The supervisor wanted me to put a ham on to boil. They would make a puree for some of the patients that couldn't have regular food. So, I went into the walk in freezer, got something out that resembled what I thought a whole ham might look like, and got it boiling. Well, the next day, my supervisor informed me that I had boiled a turkey - giblet bag and all. Talk about gross. LOL! Worst thing is that my ex-mother-in-law worked there with me. Needless to say I heard about that over and over and over until I got divorced. LOL! I like to think I've come a long way since then. :)

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
:lol:

I actually just did this the other day with a whole rotisserie chicken! I swear I checked in the cavity for the guts, but didn't feel them. These days, 3 out of 4 whole chickens I buy don't have the guts, so I figured they weren't in there.

For dinner, I cut a breast off for DW and leg quarter for me. Later that night, I carved up the rest of the meat and was boning it for sandwiches that week. As I was working the carcass, I saw something inside. Looking closer, yep, there were all the guts just lying in there. No bag, but they were fully cooked. :pat:

Interestingly enough, having the guts inside didn’t change the flavor.

SilverSage

Resident Crone
When I was young, maybe about 12, my mother was in the hospital throughout the holidays. I was supposed to cook the dinner. On the phone, Mom assured me that Mrs. Z, from across the street was going to come over at a set time to help me get the turkey in the oven.

Well, she showed up as promised, and looked around for the bird. I explained that it was in the freezer, where it had been ever since it came home!

She buttered it up, put it in a low oven, giblet bag and all, and let it thaw and cook at the same time. All I remember is that we ate late, and no one got sick!