dinner :) thursday, 11/18/10

luvs

'lil Chef
Gold Site Supporter
What kind of dough luvs / money type?

bread; though if i could make that into $$!~:bb: oh, man i am so un-into baking, annoys me till i could wilt & that; semolina bread another day! i'm so trudge through baking; linzer torte soon too! if 1 is an a+ then i'm giving them this December!

Last edited:

buckytom

Grill Master
we went out to pick up my little guy's cub scout uniform, so we stopped off at the mahwah bar and grill http://www.mahwahbarandgrill.com/menus-mahwah.htm on the way home.

we started with pea and french onion soups (both ok but very salty), then the steamed clams. again good, but too salty, imo.

then dw had a dinner special of grilled shrimp over arrugula, shaved red onion, walnuts, tomatoes, cukes, and goat cheese. it was delicious. the arrugula was pefect, just slightly bitter green to lay the canvas for the other sweet and savoury ingredients.

my boy had a half rack o' ribs with sweet potato fries; i had a full rack with regular french fries. the ribs were excellent, as always.

the service was very good as well. friendly and attentive waitress, good bus people.

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
We had a Franken-Pantry VII Meat Pie with Onion Gravy, and outside the Pantry, I made a Chess Pie for DW as that is her favorite seasonal dessert of all time, and now is the season.

http://www.netcookingtalk.com/forums/showthread.php?p=208338#post208338

step8-23.jpg

step9-15.jpg

cp1.jpg

cp2.jpg

lilbopeep

🌹🐰 Still trying to get it right.
Site Supporter
Beautiful meal Keltin!! Yes why is it called chess pie? It looks YUMMY!!

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
Thanks everyone!

Honestly, I have no idea why it is called Chess Pie. I'd never even heard of it till I met DW. She is from Tennessee, and the pie is a popular seasonal item there. Starting in November, nearly all the supermarkets (including Wal-Mart) start selling Chess Pie in its original flavor (that I cooked) and variations like chocolate, lemon, etc.

I asked DW, and she doesn't know why it's called Chess Pie either; all she knows is that she loves it. When we married and she moved here from Tennessee, we would look for them, but could never find them. So, one year, she asked me to make her one. I did some research and found a recipe and made it. She loved it, so every year she has me make her a few.

Wikipedia has an entry on Chess Pie, but even they aren't sure why it's called Chess Pie. They have theories, but nothing concrete.

It just IS I guess. :biggrin:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chess_pie

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
Here is the recipe I use for Chess Pie. It's really simple, but very tasty.

And, it's even better cold the next day.

Chess Pie

Ingredients

3 eggs
1-1/2 cups Sugar
1 Tbsp Cornmeal
1 Tbsp Vinegar
3/4 stick Butter
1 Tsp Vanilla Extract

Procedure

In a large bowl, beat the eggs lightly. Add sugar, corn meal, vinegar, and vanilla extract and mix well.

Melt the butter and then add it to the mixture. Mix well.

Pour into a 9" piecrust and bake at 400 degrees till the top is nicely browned (but don't let it burn).

Remove from oven and let stand for 2 or more hours till compeltely cool before serving.

You must let it cool completely!

When it comes out of the oven, it will still look "jiggly" and "poofy" but don't worry. Once it completely cools, it will deflate a little and firm up and can easily be cut and served. This is a great pie to be made a day ahead.