Spanish Rice

VeraBlue

Head Mistress
Gold Site Supporter
I don't have all the exact measurements...(do I ever??)

Saute 1 cup of brown rice in 2T olive oil till browned. Add 1/3C diced onions and peppers. Saute till onions are translucent. Add 3 minced garlic cloves and saute for another minute.
Add 1 pt chicken, vegetable or beef stock, 2 cups diced tomatoes, 1T tomato paste, paprika and cayenne.
Bring to a boil, then cover and simmer for 25 minutes. Uncover, add 1/4 c wine, 2T honey and simmer till absorbed.
Squirt fresh lemon on bowls for service.
I'm thinking of adding just a touch of truffle oil with the lemon.

My guess is there are about 4 servings in this.

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Sounds great, Vera!

Going to make that this summer!

Lee

lilbopeep

🌹🐰 Still trying to get it right.
Site Supporter
Maybe you can answer this question. Is there difference between spanish rice and mexican rice? If so what? Just curious because I have seen recipes with the same ingredients but different names.

lilbopeep

Site Supporter
Recipe copied. Thank you Vera. I see enchiladas and rice in the near future.

I wonder if a bit of quinoa could be subbed for some of the brown rice.

VeraBlue

Head Mistress
Gold Site Supporter
To me, Mexican rice includes corn, cilantro and possibly black beans. Spanish rice is more about the tomato and the crust you should try to form on the bottom.

As far as quinoa goes, if it doesn't cook at the same speed as the brown rice I wouldn't add it.

lilbopeep

Site Supporter
To me, Mexican rice includes corn, cilantro and possibly black beans. Spanish rice is more about the tomato and the crust you should try to form on the bottom.

As far as quinoa goes, if it doesn't cook at the same speed as the brown rice I wouldn't add it.
Thank you Vera. Here is the list of ingredients for the mexican rice I make. So this may be more of a spanish rice?

1 cup Jasmine rice
1 TBSP vegetable oil
2 cups chicken broth
1/2 onion, finely chopped
1/2 green bell pepper, finely chopped
1/2 tsp ground cumin
1 tomato - chopped
Chopped chilies - Optional
Chicken bouillon - if needed
Sea salt - to taste
Ground peppercorns - to taste
Parsley - chopped to taste - Optional