1/4 cup mixed diced candied fruits - chopped

Frosting:
4 squares unsweetened chocolate
1/4 cup butter
3 1/2 cups powdered sugar (1 box) sifted
1/2 cup hot, strong brewed coffee
1 1/2 tsp. vanilla
1/4 cup mixed, diced, candied fruits

Cut thin slice from both ends of cake. Cut cake horizontally into four even layers. Brush each layer with 1 tbls. rum.

Filling:
In bowl beat cheese with wire whisk until smooth. Beat in cream, granulated sugar and orange juice. Using a rubber spatula, fold chocolate pieces and 1/4 cup candied fruits into cheese mixture. Place bottom layer of cake on plate, spread with one third of ricotta filling. Place second layer of cake evenly on top of first layer and spread with one-third of filling. Repeat with third layer of cake and remaining filling. Top with the fourthlayer of the cake. Using hands, gently press loaf intro shape. Cover with plastic wrap and place in refrigerator to chill for 2 hours or until filling is firm.

To make frosting:
Melt unsweetened chocolate and butter in the top of a double boiler over hot - not boiling - water. Remove from heat and add powdered sugar, hot coffee and vanilla. Beat with a wooden spoon until very smooth and no lumps remain. Turn frosting into a bowl, place in a large bowl of ice cubes and chill until of spreading consistency, about 20 minutes. Turn 1 cup frosting into a pastry bag fitted with a medium star decorating tip. Place in the refrigerator until needed. With rubber spatula, spread remaining frosting over sides and top of cake. Decorate top and sides , using frosting in pastry bag and candied fruits as a garnish. Chill in refrigerator for 2 hours before serving. This is really pretty and quite special! :clap:

We cut these cakes into slices and fanned the slices out over pretty, floral plates to serve. This pastry was well received!

Doc

Administrator
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I bet it was well received!!!! It sounds awesome!!!!!!!!!
Thanks for another winner Ian!!!!!! :tiphat: :clap: :clap:

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Holy cow!!!

I love the sound of this, Ian .... except for the candied fruit.

I like the fact that you don't seem to care about "authenticity" when you cook a dish. So, when I make this, I will sacrifice some authenticity and omit the fruit!

:)

Lee

Ian M.

Just one blued-eyed minute, there, Lee! Who doesn't care about authenticity? I used real mashed potatoes in my Colcannon for St. Patrick's Day.....only the leeks and cabbage were fake!! Seriously, I wasn't even sure if my Italian (okay, Sicilian, then) was even close to correct, never mind the ingredients in that cake! Nevertheless, it still tasted great and the people at that wedding reception certainly liked it a lot. If you're going to leave the fruit out, you're really going to have to add something else to lend some color and life, besides chocolate, to the mix, otherwise ya got blah! Chop up some marashino cherries (both red and green) or something and try that. Fallon suggested possibly chopping up a box of crayolas for the "color" I think you need to add. Everybody's a comic, huh? But unless it's the "chewy" consistency of the fruit that you're trying to avoid, something else that comes to mind is chopping gum drops, maybe, and adding them to the filling for the "color" my DW laughs at. :D

Ian

Last edited:

VeraBlue

Head Mistress
Gold Site Supporter
You could substitute candied lemon peel, which is a bit more traditional. If you just don't like candied fruit, add a teaspoon and a half of lemon zest.

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
You could substitute candied lemon peel, which is a bit more traditional. If you just don't like candied fruit, add a teaspoon and a half of lemon zest.

Now THAT I can do!

Thanks Vera and Ian!

Lee