Ruth's Chris Steakhouse Creamed Spinach

Cooksie

Site Supporter
img_sides_spinach.jpg

Photo Credit: Ruthschris.com

This is a popular side dish that is served in Ruth's Chris Steakhouses. She has given out several of her popular recipes, but this one caught my eye. Her sweet potato casserole recipe is also on there:
http://www.ruthschris.com/Recipes .

INGREDIENTS:

[FONT=MrsEavesAllSmallCaps,MrsEavesAllSmallCaps][FONT=MrsEavesAllSmallCaps,MrsEavesAllSmallCaps]1 [/FONT][/FONT]stick salted butter
¼ cup all-purpose flour
2 cups milk or half & half
2 tbs chopped onion
[FONT=MrsEavesAllSmallCaps,MrsEavesAllSmallCaps][FONT=MrsEavesAllSmallCaps,MrsEavesAllSmallCaps]1 [/FONT][/FONT]bay leaf (size of a dime)
¼ tsp salt
[FONT=MrsEavesAllSmallCaps,MrsEavesAllSmallCaps][FONT=MrsEavesAllSmallCaps,MrsEavesAllSmallCaps]1 [/FONT][/FONT]lb fresh spinach, well cleaned and stemmed
2 tbs salted soft butter
salt & freshly ground black pepper to taste

You can visit the website for detailed directions for the creamed spinach:
http://www.ruthschris.com/content/images/recipes/recipe_creamed-spinach.pdf

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Cooksie, I LOVE Ruth's Chris Steak House in Boston! My favorite!

Thanks for posting the creamed spinach recipe - I bet I can make this for less than the $10-$13 or so that they charge for it!

Lee

Sounds delish!

You reminded me of Lawry's Creamed Spinach. This recipe, & a few of more of their recipes, are on their site (prime rib, spinning bowl salad, trifle, etc.)

lawrys.jpglawrys 2.jpg

Creamed Spinach a la Lawry's

2 pkgs. (10 oz. each) frozen chopped spinach, thawed
4 slices bacon
1 small onion, minced
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 tablespoons flour
1 teaspoon Lawry's Seasoned Salt
½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, or to taste
2 cups milk

Drain spinach well and squeeze out excess moisture with hands; chop finely and set aside. Fry bacon in heavy skillet until crisp; remove, drain and chop. Sauté onion and garlic in bacon drippings; add flour, Lawry's Seasoned Salt and pepper and blend thoroughly. Slowly add milk, stirring constantly until thickened. Add spinach and bacon; heat.
Makes 4 to 6 servings.

Creamed Corn

1½ tablespoons butter
1½ tablespoons flour
½ teaspoon salt
1½ cups whipping cream
2 tablespoons sugar
3 cups fresh, frozen or canned whole kernel corn

Melt butter in heavy saucepan; add flour and salt, stirring to blend. Slowly add whipping cream, stirring constantly until thickened. Add sugar and corn, heat. For Au Gratin, place corn in a 9 or 10 inch shallow casserole dish; sprinkle with ¼ cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese and brown under broiler. Makes 4 to 6 servings.

http://www.lawrysonline.com/lawrys-primerib/beverly-hills/all-recipes

Last edited:

Cooksie

Site Supporter
This was pretty darn tasty! I followed the recipe except for 1) didn't strain the onions out of the sauce and 2) didn't add the extra butter at the end. And it sure didn't cost $10-$13 :).

CreamedSpinach.jpg

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Well, I took the Lawry's Creamed Spinach recipe for a test drive as a possible side dish for Christmas.

I was surprised at how bland it was! I would have expected it to be bursting with flavor, what with bacon, garlic and onions.

Needs work, IMO.

Lee

Here is the recipe as posted above:

Creamed Spinach a la Lawry's

2 pkgs. (10 oz. each) frozen chopped spinach, thawed
4 slices bacon
1 small onion, minced
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 tablespoons flour
1 teaspoon Lawry's Seasoned Salt
½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, or to taste
2 cups milk

Drain spinach well and squeeze out excess moisture with hands; chop finely and set aside. Fry bacon in heavy skillet until crisp; remove, drain and chop. Sauté onion and garlic in bacon drippings; add flour, Lawry's Seasoned Salt and pepper and blend thoroughly. Slowly add milk, stirring constantly until thickened. Add spinach and bacon; heat.
Makes 4 to 6 servings.

My photos below.

Attachments

• Creamed spinach.JPG
    Creamed spinach.JPG
    157.5 KB · Views: 419
  • Creamed spinach plated.JPG
    Creamed spinach plated.JPG
    129.4 KB · Views: 408