What's your favorite skillet?

joec

Gold Site Supporter
Yes I want electric oven for sure but only one and a food warmer. I have a very small kitchen.

MexicoKaren

Joyfully Retired
Super Site Supporter
Looks like there is a consensus...my fave is also CI. Belonged to my MIL and DH remembers her always having it, so it may have come from her mother. Very heavy, about 10 inches, totally non-stick because it is so well-seasoned. I use it almost daily.

RobsanX

Potato peeler
Super Site Supporter
I have the Rachael Ray set of hard anodized aluminum pans. Everything turns out great, and yes I can sear a steak in it!

smoke king

Banned
This is my favorite "Skillet" -His name is James jr but his nickname has been "skillet" since day one. Oh, and for you techies, he is carbon based!!

Attachments

• 070209_181409.jpg
    070209_181409.jpg
    39.6 KB · Views: 191

Wart

Banned
8" cast iron Griswold.

Story behind it is, it's older than me, Dad liked it, Mom always whined about it, After Dad passed Mom kept whining and said she was thinking of getting rid of it (it was big and ugly and heavy and dirty), when I left home I took it, then Mom started whining about how I took it.

Sigh.

Last edited:

AllenOK

I've forgotten how many cast iron skillets we have.

I have three, all Lodge, in 8", 10", and 12". PeppA inherited who knows how many from her mother. I've been taking care of them for years now. At least one is a Griswold. I think the rest of no-names.

Heck, I just bought an 8", dirt-cheap one, brand-spanking new, at Atwoods Sunday. Of course, I'm not going to cook with it. It's destined to become my lead melter for pouring sinkers.

RobsanX

Potato peeler
Super Site Supporter
I've forgotten how many cast iron skillets we have.

I have three, all Lodge, in 8", 10", and 12". PeppA inherited who knows how many from her mother. I've been taking care of them for years now. At least one is a Griswold. I think the rest of no-names.

Heck, I just bought an 8", dirt-cheap one, brand-spanking new, at Atwoods Sunday. Of course, I'm not going to cook with it. It's destined to become my lead melter for pouring sinkers.

Wow, you really are into fishing! Where do you go to catch catfish?

Wart

Banned
As far as count of CI, we have skillets from 3" up to 12 inches (was there an 11 inch made? I don't seem to have one).

At last count we had 50~60 pieces of CI (including the garage), 20 ~ 30 in the house, but this count includes griddles, DOs, waffle maker.

I did get to use a Wolfgang Puck tri-ply several times, It has me thinking about looking for tri-ply or at least heavy stainless (alloy is about immaterial, Pun). I'll ask Wife to keep her eyes open at the thrift shops.

I have a Lincoln Marathon, a commercial NSF aluminum pan, measures ~ 8 1/2 inches at the rim. I like it enough to go to the supply and pick up a 10 and/or 12 inch, IIRC these styles of pans are inexpensive. Probably because restaurants burn through these pans.

We have an amount of Revere Ware SS which I like just fine, sort of. At higher heats they work well enough, mostly for reductions. At lower levels the ranges pilot lights become an issue by causing hot spots.

And that's my story of cookware. :smile:

buckytom

Grill Master
this be mines:

L11190927.jpg

tramontina ss deep 5 quart saute.

i also use an el cheapo 12" non-stick frying pan that i got at costco. i destroy non-stick surfaces, so the cheaper the pan, the better.

joec

Gold Site Supporter
I've been looking at these Tom. Are they induction suitable? If you can put a magnet to the bottom of it and see if it sticks it is induction suitable. These are a lot cheaper than others I've looked at in the last few weeks. I'm also not looking for a set just a couple of pots and pans.

buckytom

Grill Master
i don't know about it's magnetic qualities, joe. if i can remember (most of those brain cells are toast) i'll put a magnet to it tonight to see.

it's a great pan at 1/4 of the price of the comparable all clad.

joec

Gold Site Supporter
Thanks Tom, I know the Emerilware Pro line are and it seems his old ones are too which surprised me. All-Clad even if they were I just don't like the handles on them as they stick up higher than I like.

BamsBBQ

Ni pedo
Site Supporter
i have been using cast iron all my life, but got a chance to use a friends kitchenaid series of pots and pans..

i have to say that i really enjoyed cooking on them. they were the heaviest non-stick skillet i had ever use. nothing stuck to them and when i get a chance i believe that will be my next skillet purchase.

22264919_640.jpg

LETHAL GTS

551020.jpg

My favorite skillet's are my de Buyer mineral pans. All the great nonstick iron mineral characteristics of the cast iron (because they are iron, just not cast) but doesn't have the weight. I just love em!
Keep in mind that this is a pic of a new skillet. Once properly seasoned, it's as black as a cast iron pan. Much nicer for flipping the food. You don't have to have forearms like a bodybuilder. :thumb:
http://www.debuyer.com/product.php?id=711&cat=60&background=bleu1

Wart

Banned
I don't have a favorite skillet any longer.

I have a favorite type of material, Cast Iron, and not the fancy enamel coated stuff. I had French cast, sold it.

My favorite skillet was a 8" Griswold, it seasoned nice and stood up to all sorts of abuse.

Now, my most used "skillet" is a 10" flat iron. Lots nicer not having to deal with maneuvering the spatula over the sides of a pan.

leolady

That's a tricky question! It depends on what I'm cooking I guess.

For breakfasts and searing, and frying you can't beat my grandad's 15 inch cast iron skillet.

For skillet braising I love my Le Creuset chicken fryer.

224695522_tp.jpg

lifesaver91958

Queen of the Jungle
Gold Site Supporter
I have my grandmothers 10" cast iron skillet. We use it every week Great for bacon and eggs or cornbread. It is well seasoned, coal black and has been since I can remember. We also have a pair of cast iron muffin trays that will make cornbread in the shape of small corn cobs.

Jim

I have one of those cornbread pans, I bought it at a yard sale last summer for only .10 cents.

lifesaver91958

Queen of the Jungle
Gold Site Supporter
I have many pots and pans but my favorite is a cast iron skillet that a friend gave me back in 1990. It used to belong to his deceased wife's mother so it's pretty old but it sure does cook good.

I also just bought a new electric skillet that I like to use a lot so between the two of them I've got it made.

loboloco

I have an 8", 12" and 18" CI frying pans. My favorite is the 18" because it is the only one nobody else in the house will screw with.

Johnny West

We have a large collection of (no-names to Griswold and Wagner) cast iron to include many skillets, 4 dutch ovens, several corn bread and muffin pans. I recently picked up a huge Lodge skillet for 15 bucks at Value Village. My favorites are a CI French saute pan, Wagner chicken fryer, and no name dutch oven I use for chili and various stews and pot roasts. The Griswold griddle gets lots of use, too.

With that said, we also have a huge collection of All Clad and love that product. It's pricey but worth the money.

I get daily recipe updates from Food and Wine and got this today on cooking with cast iron.

https://view.email.foodandwine.com/...c864b4231b61901173bc7ca110328a02041911d965ef0

bigjim

Mess Cook
Super Site Supporter
We have a large collection of (no-names to Griswold and Wagner) cast iron to include many skillets, 4 dutch ovens, several corn bread and muffin pans. I recently picked up a huge Lodge skillet for 15 bucks at Value Village. My favorites are a CI French saute pan, Wagner chicken fryer, and no name dutch oven I use for chili and various stews and pot roasts. The Griswold griddle gets lots of use, too.

With that said, we also have a huge collection of All Clad and love that product. It's pricey but worth the money.

I get daily recipe updates from Food and Wine and got this today on cooking with cast iron.

https://view.email.foodandwine.com/...c864b4231b61901173bc7ca110328a02041911d965ef0

Like you, I've got a collection of old cast iron. Depending on your definition of a skillet, maybe 6-10 skillets. Wags, Griz, 1 old Lodge before Lodge screwed them up.

I've also got quite a few copper skillets. They don't get used as much as the iron.

Sass Muffin

Coffee Queen ☕
Gold Site Supporter
It's all about the Lodge here.

Exact one I have.

Attachments

• lodge-cast-iron-skillet-2.jpg
    lodge-cast-iron-skillet-2.jpg
    48.2 KB · Views: 110

luvs

'lil Chef
Gold Site Supporter
my newest lodge-- i have a teensy 1, as well, that i have yet to use, that may hold a non-chix egg, & that is pushing that 1~ it's a few ounce skillet bought on a 'aw-so-cute' kinda level--

Last edited:

ChowderMan

Pizza Chef
Super Site Supporter
my favorite is task dependent.

for tossing, it's Calphalon - rounded chine and not too deep
CI for fried chicken
12" copper/ss for whole fish . . .
etc
etc

luvs

'lil Chef
Gold Site Supporter
calphalon is in my kitchen, & can be of use 4 items once or twice a year, so i keep that on tap--

lilbopeep

🌹🐰 Still trying to get it right.
Site Supporter
My Lodge cast iron sauté/skillet pans are my work horses.

I use my 10.25 and 13.25 inch cast iron pans with lids just about every day (I put a round cooling rack in either pan when I want to do a roast etc in the oven that way I can make gravy right in the pan). Cast iron 5 quart Dutch oven for frying chicken, stew and pot roast (the lid that came with it is a another pan but is used for corn bread only), I use the self basting lid from my 10.25 inch pan for the DO. I use a cast iron round griddle for pancakes, French toast and grilled cheese. Cast iron square stove top grill pan.

The only other pans I have are a 5.5 quart SS Cuisinart pan with lid and two Scan Pans non stick I use for eggs and crepes.

I have my eye on 2 enameled Lodge items. One is a 3 quart casserole pan with lid and the other is a 7 quart Dutch oven with lid both in Caribbean blue.

Most of my pots are Kitchen Aid and Cuisinart.

Last edited: