Lasagna Florentine -- Easy Spinach Lasagna

FryBoy

This recipe is not only delicious, it's easy and very quick to prepare, nutritious, and relatively inexpensive. It's a good way to get your kids or SO to eat their veggies.

Lasagna Florentine
Easy Spinach Lasagna

1 10-ounce package frozen chopped spinach
2 cups low-fat ricotta cheese
1 egg, lightly beaten
¼ cup grated Parmesan cheese
¼ teaspoon garlic powder

1 32-ounce jar spaghetti sauce with mushrooms (about 4 cups)
9 uncooked lasagne noodles (about ½ of a package)
3 cups grated mozzarella cheese (12 ounces), divided

1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit.

2. Place frozen spinach in a colander or large strainer and run cold water over it to thaw, breaking it up with your fingers; press down on the thawed spinach to squeeze out most of the water; dump the spinach onto several layers of paper towels, cover with more paper towels, and press to squeeze out as much water as you can; uncover and separate the spinach into small pieces.

3. Combine the beaten egg, garlic powder, grated Parmesan cheese, and spinach in a bowl, mixing well.

4. Spread one third of the spaghetti sauce in the bottom of a greased 12 inch x 8 inch x 2 inch baking dish; cover with three lasagna noodles.

5. Spread half the spinach & ricotta mixture over the noodles in the pan; sprinkle 1 cup of the grated mozzarella cheese over the spinach & cheese.

6. Spread half the remaining sauce over the spinach & cheese in the pan; top with three more lasagna noodles.

7. Spread the remaining spinach mixture over the noodles in the pan; spread the remaining sauce over the noodles, and top with the three remaining lasagna noodles, and then sprinkle the last cup of mozzarella cheese over the top.

8. Cover pan with foil; bake in 375 degree oven for 60 to 70 minutes, or until noodles are tender; remove foil the last 10 minutes or finish under the broiler for a few minutes to brown top.

Serves 6 to 8.

Note: you can substitute fresh garlic for the powdered, homemade sauce for the bottled. I use a 24-ounce jar of sauce and add enough water to make 4 cups.

664422114_yzhq3-O.jpg

664422112_HsurV-O.jpg

Attachments

• Lasagne Florentine.pdf
    27.1 KB · Views: 388

Fisher's Mom

Mother Superior
Super Site Supporter
Whoa! I just saw this, Doug, and I am blown away! I swear, I can almost smell it. I will definitely make this very soon - it's exactly the kind of meal my family would love as much as I do. Thank you so much.

rickismom

Low Carb Home Cook
Site Supporter
My recipe is very similar but I use Italian sausage in my spinach mixture and use a bechemel sauce as well as a red sauce. This looks lovely, good job!

Cooksie

Site Supporter
That looks great and actually sounds pretty easy to put together. Nice pic of the cut slice. It really makes me want to give it a try! Thanks!

chowhound

That looks fantastic, Doug!
One thing though... I don't like frozen spinach. I find it bitter. Is there a frozen spinach/fresh spinach ratio thing? I suppose I could Google that, but I thought you might know.

FryBoy

That looks fantastic, Doug!
One thing though... I don't like frozen spinach. I find it bitter. Is there a frozen spinach/fresh spinach ratio thing? I suppose I could Google that, but I thought you might know.
I don't like frozen spinach, either, at least when it's cooked alone -- no comparison to fresh! BUT, when used in dishes like this, the taste and texture are entirely different from cooking it on its own, and I don't find it bitter or off-putting at all.