Tuna Melts

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
When I was in college, the only sub sandwiches we could afford were Tuna Melts, so we ordered those. And LOVED them!

Recently, I remembered those subs, and made a couple of open-faced sandwiches on regular sliced white bread. A friend suggested adding slices of tomato. GREAT!

Tonight's was with a slice of Colby Cheddar. In the toaster oven, so the bottom of the bread toasts and the top of the cheese bubbles and browns.

Any bread will do, and with chips and/or a cup of soup, it's a perfect dinner any time of year!

Lee

Attachments

• Tuna melt 1.JPG
    Tuna melt 1.JPG
    84.6 KB · Views: 906

Mama

Queen of Cornbread
Site Supporter
YUM Lee! That looks really good. I love tuna melts. I like to put tuna salad in the middle of a grilled cheese. I also like a grilled cheese and tomato so I'm gonna have to try a tomato on the grilled tuna and cheese. Thanks!

Last edited:
Another "Tuna Melt" lover here!! I only buy tuna packed in olive oil these days, & I love the way the oil (after draining off some onto dry food for the cats - lol!) keeps the tuna moist during grilling (for a regular sandwich) or broiling (for an open-faced). Also love the fact that tuna, frankly, goes well with pretty much any variety of cheese you happen to have a taste for. And good, vine-ripened tomatoes from the garden? Like the gilding the lily in the most delicious way! :)

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I just love these things!

Tonight, my tuna melt was with avocado chunks and provolone. Delicious, but I think adding the avocado was "gilding the lily", as my grandmother would say. :)

Lee

Attachments

• Tuna melt with avocado.JPG
    Tuna melt with avocado.JPG
    83.5 KB · Views: 865
Last edited:

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Had some leftover French bread so used that for my melts.

This was closest to my college melts!

Lee

Attachments

• Tuna melt on French bread.JPG
    Tuna melt on French bread.JPG
    114 KB · Views: 829

Cooksie

Site Supporter
They all look great, but put all those in front of me and I'd probably reach for the guilded one :).