Help! I need your advice

rickismom

Low Carb Home Cook
Site Supporter
What would YOU do?

Keep a job that has decent facilities, no raises, no benefits, a 45 minute commute and gets you home at 6pm

OR

Go to a new job with old, cramped facilities, $2/hr cut in pay, full benefits, 20 minute commute and a schedule that you love!

Help!!!

lilylove

I'd take the new job. Those full benefits would make the $2.00 seem like nothing. NOT having to drive down ISSY HOBART road everyday is pretty WONDERFUL TOO!

20 minutes compared to 45... well 20 is much better, you'd save on GAS. :) :) :)

I'd miss waving at you every morning as you drove by though. :yum: :yum:

Miniman

Mini man - maxi food
Gold Site Supporter
I would go for the job you love. The second, although it pays less, will save you money & frustration as well, so the cut will be less than the headline figure.

$2 of what is another question. a $2 cut from $4 is a big deal. A $2 cut from $10 is less hurting and it gets less of a problem the higher the salary.

Adillo303

Gold Site Supporter
In this economy, I would really look at the longer term prospects of both companies. In a new company, you are the new person and first to go if times get tough. In the present job, you are established. Not that being established is any guarantee.

All thiings being equal, If you think the new company is stable - Go for it.

bowlingshirt

Based on what you've stated (which isn't the whole picture), I would take the new job. I could get over the facilities and paycut knowing that I'd have a better schedule and full benefits. You also have the possibility of a raise with your new company...you don't with the one you have now.

suziquzie

DH just did the same thing..... took a paycut PLUS I had to stop working 2 of my 4 days a week.... double paycut..... for better hours and better prospect.
No shortening of the 1 hour commute though..... :(

I'd go with door #2, so far its worked out here MUCH better than we expected.

Mama

Queen of Cornbread
Site Supporter
Between what you will be saving in gas and the full benefits, you will probably end up making more in the long run from the second job. The benefits alone are probably worth more than the $2 an hour. $2 x 40 hours/week x 52 weeks is $4160. Are the benefits worth $4160/year? Probably...and that's not including you savings in gas.

Deelady

sounds like we all have the same view......door #2 for me as well, as long as the new job seems stable enough for long term.

Doc

Administrator
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I have to agree with the consensus here. The 2nd one listed sounds like the way to go. Much easier to work a schedule that you love. :thumb: Go for it, and good luck!!!!!!

CharlieD

My job doesn't pay much, but I have open sheduale, that I love and 5 weeks vacation, that I need. So I'm staying put even though more money would have been nice and I know I can find more money.

GotGarlic

If it helps the calculation, benefits are generally worth about 1/3 of your full pay. IOW, if you're making $21,000 per year, the benefits would be worth about $7,000. That plus the better commute (more $$ savings) will probably more than make up for the $2/hr pay cut. Add all that to the increased quality of life you'll enjoy with a shorter commute, a schedule you'll love and gaining those benefits, I'd say the second option sounds better :smile:

PanchoHambre

In this economy, I would really look at the longer term prospects of both companies. In a new company, you are the new person and first to go if times get tough. In the present job, you are established. Not that being established is any guarantee.

All thiings being equal, If you think the new company is stable - Go for it.

I'm with Adillo

Look at the new company carefully, to the best of your ability make sure it is a stable position and a place you want to work for.

I have switched from swanky jobs to unglamorous to great results. I have also taken jobs that looked great up front but turned out to be disastrous. Look at the leadership and who you will be working for/with.

benefits are great and more important than nice facilities just make sure the whole package is there.