ISO name/uses 4 mushroom type

luvs

'lil Chef
Gold Site Supporter
i found these today at the 'iggle. ther're ultra-lite, kina fuzzy, very delicate, & also quite pale. they were in bulk. i got one to see if it was a keeper or not. info would be appreciated. thanx!

Attachments

• IMG_0881233.jpg
    IMG_0881233.jpg
    34.3 KB · Views: 113
  • IMG_0882234.jpg
    IMG_0882234.jpg
    32.8 KB · Views: 114
Last edited:

luvs

'lil Chef
Gold Site Supporter
yeah, i meant to, lol, i posted them as soon as my message appeared. sans pics.

luvs

'lil Chef
Gold Site Supporter
that sounds like the 1 i got. thanks, lee, for finding that info!

Actually, that's not a Puffball mushroom at all. True Puffballs have just a lightly rough solid skin. The mushroom "luvs" is holding is now commonly sold in supermarkets everywhere. In fact, I just bought some a few days ago. I'm not on my own computer at the moment so don't have time for research, but these mushrooms are commonly sold under several names - "Pom Pom" (which is also sometimes used to describe a completely different mushroom that looks like a slightly larger version of Enoki mushroom), "Lion's Head", "Lion's Mane" are just a few. Some people swear that they have a crabmeat-type flavor, but I've never found that to be true. What I have discovered is that you need to used them ASAP. I forgot mine, & after 5 days in the fridge, while they still looked pristine, they were very bitter.I like to bake them whole in butter, lightly seasoned, & use them to accompany basic fish or chicken dishes.

Last edited: