Washing natural casing?

chowhound

I just bought a 2' long stick of pepperoni with a natural casing on it. At least I think it's natural.
It was hanging over by the meats with about five others, where anyone could have grabbed a hold of it. Not to mention the bagger thought he could stick it in a plastic grocery bag and hand me the handles.... onto the floor it went as soon as he picked it up, but I figured someone here would know the best way to clean this item. Even if it didn't hit the floor I think I want to start cleaning my publically handled foods more.
I was thinking of putting a little dish soap on a sponge, wiping it then rinsing it, but don't know it the casing is porous or not.

Watchya think?

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Blow on it - it sterilizes it.

Okay, seriously, don't put soap on it, Fred. Just peel it off, if it bothers you.

Lee

Maverick2272

Stewed Monkey
Super Site Supporter
I think natural casings are porous, but I could be wrong. I don't think I would use dish soap on it. Just wipe em clean and boil before using?

Just a guess... and I would complain to the manager about their handling of meat.

chowhound

Thanks for your answers. I always get a bit "ponderous" about what is the right thing to do so I don't pick up germs. Some things I do others would be appalled at (most likely) and something like this I was really thinking hard on as to how to make sure no nasties were left on the stick.
I only rinse veggies in water, so I guess that should have been my cue.

Now if you'll excuse me, I need to rinse and wipe off my pepperoni stick and cut a hunk off :biggrin:

joec

Gold Site Supporter
Its funny as I've sure made a lot of sausage in my life but have never used natural casings as I've never seen them any where. Here in Kentucky my only access is to non natural via the web.

Needless to say I sure wouldn't know how to clean them properly.

chowhound

My neighbor processes his own deer and makes cased sausage. He buys the casings (natural) at a local country butcher. He said he doesn't like the other ones, but I don't know if I've ever had the other kind or not.
He makes good deer sausage. Just the right amount of hotness.

chowhound

I defintely agree with that, Cara.
I never knew until the pissed thread that it wasn't polite to blow your nose in public.

chowhound

Well all I know is that I'd rather see someone blowing their nose than wiping it on their sleeve if I'm out eating.
:shock:

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Its funny as I've sure made a lot of sausage in my life but have never used natural casings as I've never seen them any where. Here in Kentucky my only access is to non natural via the web.

Needless to say I sure wouldn't know how to clean them properly.

Joe, if we are talking about hog casings here, in my supermarket, they are in brine, in a white plastic 16 oz cottage-cheese-sized container.

You have to rinse them, inside and out, before using.

If you are used to the synthetic casings, you may not want to bother with these.

Lee

joec

Gold Site Supporter
The synthetic also need to be rinsed but that is all. I simply soak them in water and take them out as I fill them. I've have never found natural casings in any of the stores in Kentucky though I'm sure some one has them here. The where common in other states I've lived however, I just never used them myself.