Staying "Hydrated"?

Doc

Administrator
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Staying "Hydrated" is important to our well being. However just because we drink liquids does not mean you are hydrating as recommended. Confusing for sure.
Coke, Diet Coke, Pepsi, Dr. Pepper, 7 Up, RC Cola etc. do not hydrate, they dehydrate you. :eek:

Water hydrates you.

Beer or any alcohol dehydrates you. :eek:

Water is used in making beer and all the cola / soda drinks, but somehow those all still dehydrate you. I'm confused and tired of plain water.

If you drink flavored water, does that hydrate you as well as straight water?

How about things like "Propel" drink mix that you can add to your water, does that hydrate you as well?

buckytom

Grill Master
think of drinking certain drinks as brining yourself from the inside out, doc.

some things have more salt or other stuff like alcohol that affect the balance of water in your body.

Maverick2272

Stewed Monkey
Super Site Supporter
Its partly because of the sugar in pop. It quickly raises your blood sugar so your body quickly "expels" it. When it expels the sugar, the water goes with it so you have a tendency to get dehydrated.

Ever notices you pee a lot after drinking a bunch of beers? Same concept. It aint the beer or pop coming out, its the fact that your body uses water to carry the sugars or other chemicals (salt and alcohol as BT said) it doesn't want out of your body.

GotGarlic

re: flavored water, it depends on what you flavor it with. As Mav said, too much sugar will not have the effect you want. If you don't want to drink plain water, how about trying a squeeze of fresh lemon or lime? Or just eat juicy fresh fruit, like oranges, grapes and melons - you get water and vitamins in one handy package :smile:

btw, I think Vitamin Water, which people I work with drink all the time, is a huge waste of money. It's my understanding the bottles cost about $3 each. For about $10, you can get a month's supply of an over-the-counter multivitamin and we have free bottled water available in the offices. Do the math.

PieSusan

Tortes Are Us
Super Site Supporter
I love coconut water; it is nature's sports drink and because of the potassium, it helps keep you hydrated. Vita Coco or O.N.E. are both excellent.

MexicoKaren

Joyfully Retired
Super Site Supporter
We are entering the time of year here when adequate hydration becomes really important. I drink a fair amount of limonada (lemonade made with limes), but nothing beats good cold water. Lots of it. Interesting, though - most of the Mexicans I know claim that cold water is NOT good for you, and insist on drinking it at room temp.

VeraBlue

Head Mistress
Gold Site Supporter
I love coconut water; it is nature's sports drink and because of the potassium, it helps keep you hydrated. Vita Coco or O.N.E. are both excellent.
Lou was given coconut water after he completed the 42 mile 5-borough NY bike tour. He loved it.
Where do you find Vita Coco??

buckytom

Grill Master
just be careful drinking coconut milk. too much has a laxative effect which can increase dehydration from fluid loss.

it's important to know this in case you're ever on an island with rupert, russel, and parvati.

PieSusan

Tortes Are Us
Super Site Supporter
Coconut milk is not the same as coconut water. Vera, I bought it at GNC and Publix in S. Fla. Here, I have had to order online but I have started asking stores to carry it.

PieSusan

Tortes Are Us
Super Site Supporter
BT, coconut water is made from the liquid inside green coconuts. It is high in potassium and electrolytes and low in calories, sugar and sodium. It is really good for you as potassium helps the body to stay hydrated. This became more important to me after spraining my back. Joint and back pain are helped by being hydrated.

lilbopeep

🌹🐰 Still trying to get it right.
Site Supporter
BT, coconut water is made from the liquid inside green coconuts. It is high in potassium and electrolytes and low in calories, sugar and sodium. It is really good for you as potassium helps the body to stay hydrated. This became more important to me after spraining my back. Joint and back pain are helped by being hydrated.
susan is it low enough that a diabetic can drink it? my daughter tried one from GNC and didn't like the taste. but shes a kid LOL

Sass Muffin

Coffee Queen ☕
Gold Site Supporter
Staying "Hydrated" is important to our well being. However just because we drink liquids does not mean you are hydrating as recommended. Confusing for sure.
Coke, Diet Coke, Pepsi, Dr. Pepper, 7 Up, RC Cola etc. do not hydrate, they dehydrate you. :eek:

Water hydrates you.

Beer or any alcohol dehydrates you. :eek:

Water is used in making beer and all the cola / soda drinks, but somehow those all still dehydrate you. I'm confused and tired of plain water.

If you drink flavored water, does that hydrate you as well as straight water?

How about things like "Propel" drink mix that you can add to your water, does that hydrate you as well?

WATER, water, water.
There are some 'power drinks' out there that do give you sufficient hydration.
Simply eating enough fruits and vegetables for the water content alone, along with pure, clean water will keep your system healthy, Doc.
It's not rocket science.

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
Caffeine and alcohol are diuretics……will cause your body to expunge water. Soda, coffee, beer, wine, whiskey, etc, will all dehydrate you.

If you are thirsty and craving water, then you are already dehydrated.

It’s easy enough to stay hydrated by drinking plain ole water. I keep a filter pitcher in my home and work fridge. At work I have a stainless steel bottle that I refill throughout the day and drink the water. I probably drink 4 of those a day, more on some days.

Urine is a good indication of hydration. The darker it is, the more dehydrated you are. If it runs clear, you are hydrated. Also, pinch the skin on the back of your hand. If it snaps back quickly, then you are hydrated. If it is slow to move back and holds the form of the pinch, then you are dehydrated.

lilbopeep

Site Supporter
WATER, water, water.
There are some 'power drinks' out there that do give you sufficient hydration.
Simply eating enough fruits and vegetables for the water content alone, along with pure, clean water will keep your system healthy, Doc.
It's not rocket science.
i love fruit but now I can't have that much because of the natural sugars. I loved ice cold watermellon during the hot summer months as a good hydrator.

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
Also, hydration throughout a regular indoor day is not an issue.

If, on the other had, you are outside in the sun and being physical, then it is of concern.

Your body uses sweat (water) to cool itself. If you are dehydrated, then you will rob cellular tissue of water in order to make sweat, and can quickly pass out.

Sass Muffin

Coffee Queen ☕
Gold Site Supporter
Caffeine and alcohol are diuretics……will cause your body to expunge water. Soda, coffee, beer, wine, whiskey, etc, will all dehydrate you.

If you are thirsty and craving water, then you are already dehydrated.

It’s easy enough to stay hydrated by drinking plain ole water. I keep a filter pitcher in my home and work fridge. At work I have a stainless steel bottle that I refill throughout the day and drink the water. I probably drink 4 of those a day, more on some days.

Urine is a good indication of hydration. The darker it is, the more dehydrated you are. If it runs clear, you are hydrated. Also, pinch the skin on the back of your hand. If it snaps back quickly, then you are hydrated. If it is slow to move back and holds the form of the pinch, then you are dehydrated.
Thank you, Dr. Keltin! :lol::a1:

Sass Muffin

Coffee Queen ☕
Gold Site Supporter
i love fruit but now I can't have that much because of the natural sugars. I loved ice cold watermellon during the hot summer months as a good hydrator.
Well, you can have fruits that contain fructose, you simply need to avoid the glucose.
You should be ok with peaches, apples and cherries.

lilbopeep

Site Supporter
Well, you can have fruits that contain fructose, you simply need to avoid the glucose.
You should be ok with peaches, apples and cherries.
thank you sass. in your work you deal with diabetics right? if i have questions can i ask you?

Maverick2272

Stewed Monkey
Super Site Supporter
We are entering the time of year here when adequate hydration becomes really important. I drink a fair amount of limonada (lemonade made with limes), but nothing beats good cold water. Lots of it. Interesting, though - most of the Mexicans I know claim that cold water is NOT good for you, and insist on drinking it at room temp.

They are right if you are out working in the sun all day. Cold water can cause your stomach to cramp up. I always tell the wife to drink it at room temp when she is out working. Also, take the first sip, swig it around, then spit it out before taking a drink. Then drink in small amounts, don't guzzle.

MexicoKaren

Joyfully Retired
Super Site Supporter
I'm sure you're correct about that, Mav. Being of a sedentary nature, I don't go out and work in the sun all day. I am so fortunate - when the weather gets hot and humid, I move as little as possible. But for most of the people who live here, life goes on. I marvel at the transitos who stand out in the middle of an intersection in full uniform directing traffic. Of course, people who have lived here all their lives are more acclimated, but it is still dangerously hot some days during the summer. When we first moved here, the roadsides were littered with water bottles - there was nowhere to put them. Since then, a volunteer recycling program has begun - DH volunteers every Thursday to pick up bottles from the receptacles (that he designed and made) and sort them by color. The streets are alot cleaner, and money from the sale of the plastic goes to the children's shelter and the summer (low season) food drive.

Maverick2272

Stewed Monkey
Super Site Supporter
I'm sure you're correct about that, Mav. Being of a sedentary nature, I don't go out and work in the sun all day. I am so fortunate - when the weather gets hot and humid, I move as little as possible. But for most of the people who live here, life goes on. I marvel at the transitos who stand out in the middle of an intersection in full uniform directing traffic. Of course, people who have lived here all their lives are more acclimated, but it is still dangerously hot some days during the summer. When we first moved here, the roadsides were littered with water bottles - there was nowhere to put them. Since then, a volunteer recycling program has begun - DH volunteers every Thursday to pick up bottles from the receptacles (that he designed and made) and sort them by color. The streets are alot cleaner, and money from the sale of the plastic goes to the children's shelter and the summer (low season) food drive.

Same as me, very sedentary here and I love ice cold water! I must drink a couple gallons a day.

Very cool about your DH and the volunteering!