I just bought a good knife. What's next?

Jim_S

Resident Curmudgeon
Gold Site Supporter
What is the best way to keep up a good knife? Is there anything we should do that will prolong the life of the edge?

What about types of storage to protect the edge?

The Tourist

Banned
First things first.

Would you consider yourself to be a "wealthy man"?:tongue:

I always recommend that people take a gander at the knife tutorial on the Alton Brown page. The video runs for about eight minutes, but it contains a lot of good, solid information.

http://www.altonbrown.com/shun/shun_edge.html

Then comes the question, what exactly did you buy?

There's a world of difference between a European knife made from a single blade blank and a Japanese knife made of numerous layers.

For starters, get a decent cutting board, and slip your knives into the storage block upside down.

As for sharpeners and tinkers, your gut would surmise to obtain the services of an honest one...

Well, there's your first mistake. As a species, a good sharpener is a part showman and hooligan. If he's any good he tells rapid-fire stories and fables and well as he proffers a superior edge. Never show him your wallet before payment, keep your back to the wall near an exit and never, and I mean never, tell the highwayman you have a daughter (or a wife that likes to play around.)

Even in Japan a polisher is considered a member of a fractal craft. They are not recognized as craftsmen in the traditional sense.

Here's a good example. A friend of mine once sent me a detailed story about a financial recession in Tottenham England in the mid 1960s. It was a depressing tale of woe that went on for six pages.

Near the end of the treatise the author talked about the crime wave that had hit their city. He stated that times were so tough that thugs and thieves had become knife sharpeners.

Good luck to you...

Deadly Sushi

Formerly The Giant Mojito
Waht about the Ginsu? Is that the correct spelling? I thought they last a very long time. Whats the difference?