Luckytrim

Grill Master
Gold Site Supporter
Any Ideas ?

365188782.jpg

JoeV

Dough Boy
Site Supporter
That's interesting. I can hardly wait to see what you do with cactus ears. I have only looked at them, never tasted one.

Luckytrim

Grill Master
Gold Site Supporter
A few years back, while perusing the international aisle, I saw cactus pieces in brine, in jars..... I was in My "Soup" period then, so I bought a few jars, and built my "Mexican Wedding Soup" recipe (posted) around them; but this is the first time I've ventured into the "Fresh" experience..........Maybe "French"-no, wait- "Mexican" Fries ?

GrantsKat

Oh wow, i just saw these for the first time in the store yesturday & wondered what to do with them also! I hope somebody has some suggestions.

Miniman

Mini man - maxi food
Gold Site Supporter
What do they taste like?

Could you build a fresh fruit salad around them?

Otherwise steam them or include them in a risotto. All really depends on what flavour they have.

homecook

Here's a couple recipes I found. I've never tried them.

*crudites st. pierre*

slice raw, peeled cactus into sticks. eat like "bitter cucumber spears". add salt, lime-juice and chopped cilantro to taste. this is, so far, my method of choice, partly because it is so minimalist.

*ensalada de nopalitos*

to each 4 oz of peeled, chopped raw cactus add 2 Tbs good-quality cider vinegar, and let stand in the refrigerator for at least an hour. add chopped parsely to taste. this is the second-best tasting recipe.

*nopales asados*

fry raw, peeled cactus strips in extra-virgin olive oil over medium- high heat, until the sharp edges brown, and small golden-brown blisters rise up on the faces. this ties for second best-tasting. the white tissue, in particular, has an underlying quality of sweetness that is brought out by frying, and the contrast of the crispness with the now-gelatinous interior is rather nice. serve lightly salted.

*nopales al vapor*

to 1 2/3 C peeled, trimmed, and chopped fresh cactus add 1 Tbs chopped scallions, a minced clove of garlic and salt to taste. fry in 1 Tbs olive oil, covered, over low-medium heat for 10 min. shake the pan from time to keep the cactus from sticking. when the juice has started to flow, uncover the pan and cook for an additional 15 minutes, until the juice has evaporated some, the residue has begun to resorb, and the cactus is lightly browned. scrape the pan with a wooden spoon to prevent sticking. yield 1/2 C.

Enjoy!!

simplicity

Half an answer - I've never tried them. I have read they need to be peeled with a very sharp knife. From an old cookbook

Add raw eggs and scramble with black pepper

Add tomatoes, onions, peppers, chili powder and serve with beef or venison

Add eggs and flour, make them into patties, then fry in hot oil

Slice thin. Dip in egg and milk batter, roll in cornmeal or flour and fry

gadzooks

Slice 'em, peel 'em and pickle 'em in brine with some coarsely chopped onions and a jalapeno or serrano pepper. Then they go with everything...salads, omelets, burritos, steaks, burgers...funny, I can't imagine buying nopales, they grow all over the place here.

gadzooks

"BTW, my experience with nopales is that it's pretty bland and kinda mushy, like a bad pickle. Nothing to write home about." - FryBoy

Too true if you buy them. Those are hot-pickled. I cold-pickle mine, so they're crisp, and jalapenos or serranos ensure they're anything but bland. Remember, they're an ingredient or a condiment, not really a stand-alone.

TxsChef

Use them anywhere you use bell pepper! Awesome in Fajitas!! ;) Fresh is best if you can find them up there. Heck, I guess that stuff grows everywhere though.

dansdiamond

Food Sound Eng.
Gold Site Supporter
PRICKLY PEAR JELLY
1 gal. prickly pear cactus fruit, very ripe, deep garnet color
4 c. juice
4 c. sugar
2 pkgs. fruit pectin

Gather the fruit using tong and gloves. Put fruit in sink with water. Using tongs, swish in water to remove stickers. Cut fruit in half. Place in large pan. Boil until fruit is shriveled. Mash with potato masher. Strain through jelly bag or cheese cloth. Bring juice and pectin to boil. Add sugar and boil to jelly stage. Pour into jelly glasses and seal.

Here is a Link to 17 Recipes for Prickly Pear Lucky.
http://www.cooks.com/rec/search/0,1-0,prickly_pear,FF.html

images

TxsChef

PRICKLY PEAR JELLY
1 gal. prickly pear cactus fruit, very ripe, deep garnet color
4 c. juice
4 c. sugar
2 pkgs. fruit pectin

Gather the fruit using tong and gloves. Put fruit in sink with water. Using tongs, swish in water to remove stickers. Cut fruit in half. Place in large pan. Boil until fruit is shriveled. Mash with potato masher. Strain through jelly bag or cheese cloth. Bring juice and pectin to boil. Add sugar and boil to jelly stage. Pour into jelly glasses and seal.

Here is a Link to 17 Recipes for Prickly Pear Lucky.
http://www.cooks.com/rec/search/0,1-0,prickly_pear,FF.html

images

That jelly is sooooooooooooooo good! If you want to kick it up, add a drop or 2 of hot pepper juice. (Or 7 or 8):whistling:

pugger

"Add raw eggs and scramble with black pepper"

A favorite local mexican restuarant makes them that way.

Luckytrim

Grill Master
Gold Site Supporter
I did 'em up with eggs, onions & chopped bacon, then folded that into a burrito................interesting..........