Seasoning new carbon steel frying pan!!!

Ratton

Hi There,

I have just purchased a new de BUYER carbon steel frying pan and the seasoning instructions state:

“Seasoning: preparing your frying pan.
Put some potato peelings in your pan, cover with water and boil for 15 minutes. Next, throw away the peelings and rinse the frying pan with very hot water, wipe it and heat a little oil in the pan.”

Does anyone know what the purpose or reason of boiling potato peelings is?? I have purchased other makes of carbon steel frying pans and have never been instructed to boil potato peelings to season the pan. I checked the web site and it has a video showing the boiling of the potato peelings!!

Thanks for any ideas!! :tiphat:

UnConundrum

Gold Site Supporter
Pure guess, but I'd vote for it being a way to make sure you actually clean the pan before seasoning, to remove any mfg. residue or dirt from the store. Can't think of any real reaction between the potato and the steel...

RobsanX

Potato peeler
Super Site Supporter
Perhaps to soak up any off flavors from the factory cleaning process...

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
I’ll go with Unconundrum. I’d imagine it’s just to get you to really clean the pan and remove manufacturing residue. The starch in the potato skins is likely to distribute all over the pan showing you where to wipe it clean. This would ensure you really wipe it down.

However, I have also heard that people stick a carbon steel knife into a whole potato to aid in forming a patina. Possibly related?

I’ve never heard of boiling potato skins before, so it is a curious question.

Oh, and welcome to the forum!!

Maverick2272

Stewed Monkey
Super Site Supporter
Welcome to the forum!

Very strange instructions I think. But I would go with what Unconundrum said about making sure you clean it properly. Just give it a try and see what happens!

gadzooks

When they make the steel pans, they get a coat of oil (petroleum, not veg.). They get wiped but you get a dirty pan. The potato peels will have enough starch in them to let the oil mix with the water (think gravy) and wash and rinse clean without soap or detergent, which promote rapid rusting of carbon steel. I do this and then season same as cast iron.