Plating or Homestyle??

Fisher's Mom

Mother Superior
Super Site Supporter
I always plate our family meals because that way I can make sure that everyone gets at least one full serving of everything! I have a house full of boys so if everyone served themselves, the last one in line would be SOL. But for guests, I either serve buffet or I plate. It depends on how well I know my guests' likes and dislikes.

JoeV

Dough Boy
Site Supporter
We only plate for those who cannot get their own food, like small children or elderly who have a difficult time. For everyone else it's family style for up to 6 people (that's all that fits comfortably at the kitchen or dining room tables), and buffet from our big island for larger crowds where we use both kitchen and dining rooms for seating. We prefer family style & buffet so everyone gets to choose what they want and how much, plus, DW has lots of serving pieces for daily use as well as every serving piece available for her Minton china from my frequent trips to London.

I don't concern myself with the Queen Mum, as she has rejected too many invitations to dinner. Let her eat with her brats. In more than 36 years of marriage and serving countless meals, nobody of any consequence has ever complained about how their meals were served. Children do not count as people of consequence, because they bitch about everything.

Calicolady

If it's a holiday dinner-usually family style.
BBQ or cook out- usually buffet
If it's something like individual servings like cornish game hens or stuffed or poached fish, I serve them individually with sides family style.
As we tend to sit arround the table to gab, I like to clear the table after dinner and chat while setting up dessert and coffee, tea and after dinner drinks.
Desserts, I usually set on the table then cut & serve ach person what they request, unless it's fruit & cheese.
I, or someone else will pour the coffee or tea, but pass the liquor for self-serve.
Fruit and cheese gets passed around.

VeraBlue

Head Mistress
Gold Site Supporter

For DW and I, we plate nearly every meal, but for large get together, it's homestyle. That way I don't waste putting food on someone's plate that might not want it.

See, I tend to insist that everyone eat what I place before them.:wink:

Seriously, I plate because I want my guests to see the food at it's very best. I don't really have any artistic talent other than creating a really nice looking plate (or a very cool yard to hang out in..) It doesn't really upset me if someone leaves something behind. I have found that people tend to try something unusual if it's already on the plate....well, that and the fact that everyone at the table is watching them.:yum:

VeraBlue

Head Mistress
Gold Site Supporter
Home style here, but then we have never held a formal dinner. I suppose if we held a formal dinner I might, but then how do I know how much of each serving they want or whether or not they want one thing and not another?

Think of it as a restaurant. You'd get a plate from the kitchen with precisely how the chef wants it to look, appropriate portions and all. The nice thing about eating at home, however...is that if they do want more, it's available!

joec

Gold Site Supporter
My grandmother used to plate the food and you best eat everything she put on it. If not expect it for breakfast the next morning along with a table spoon of cod liver oil and orange juice. She was tough that way too. :wink:

AllenOK

I always plate our family meals because that way I can make sure that everyone gets at least one full serving of everything! I have a house full of boys so if everyone served themselves, the last one in line would be SOL. But for guests, I either serve buffet or I plate. It depends on how well I know my guests' likes and dislikes.

That's how it is here as well. I always plate the first round for everyone. If I did buffett or family style / Russian service, the last one or two people are SOL.

As it is, on nights that I work (5 out of 7 right now), I'm usually SOL anyway, as the kids will come back and help themselves, and the boys, well, they're boys. Walking eating machines.

Of course, if I "fend for myself" and stop off somewhere, PeppA gets all upset when I don't bring her something home, even though she ATE dinner already.

Constance

We eat buffet style...it suits our lifestyle and the layout of our living area, in which living room, kitchen and dining room are all one big room.

waybomb

Family style - take what you want, as much as you want, as often as you want. The fridge is in the kitchen too, so, if you want something else, go digging! Fine by us. And all the guests know where the liquor is too.

Just leave my ice cream alone.

buckytom

Grill Master
soooo, waybomb.

where do you keep the ice cream...

(you can't hide it from us norwegians, ya know. we can sniff it out. it's in our blood. it's known as the daazs gene in biology, discovered by dr. hagen in 1972)

:)

waybomb

It's in the freezer, along with the alaskan-weather-hardened-pit-bull.

A long time ago, my motto was take my cars, take my wife, take my toys, but leave my food alone. Now I only protect my ice cream..........

She's gonna kill me now.........

buckytom

Grill Master
excellent. all i have to do is wait.

is your wife hot?

(i'm totally kidding, supreme master and lord of this website. i grovel in your presence...lol)

waybomb

is your wife hot?

I tend to think so.

But I must warn you - you'll have better luck dealing with the pit bull. The wife is a tough gal. Was a gymnast through HS and College, and was on the Polish Gymnastic team (She came here from Poland). She's a strong woman.

waybomb

is your pit bull hot?

lol, j/k.

you don't happen to be the hubby of governor palin, are you?

Ha! I knew this forum would eventually break down to bestiality!

I'd like to meat the woman. (probably should use spell check, eh?)

Ol-blue

I'm a plater also. Except for tonight. Our son is bringing his new girlfriend over and I'm not sure how much she eats. So I may home style tonight, but not sure yet.

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
My grandmother used to plate the food and you best eat everything she put on it. If not expect it for breakfast the next morning along with a table spoon of cod liver oil and orange juice. She was tough that way too. :wink:

:yum: :yum: :yum:

Yep, so true!!

joec

Gold Site Supporter
I don't know what it is and her generation but the cod liver oil (unflavored) was terrible tasting. But then here I am 62 years old, in good health, smoke, drink and eat in moderation so I might owe her an apology for all the years of bitching about it. :sorry:

UnConundrum

Gold Site Supporter
I always plate with rare exceptions. With the stufato I made tonight (pics in the valentine thread), I had asparagus in a side plate as there wasn't room in the pots. I often have something delicate (like the ravioli the other night) or with a sauce that makes home style messy. Just comfortable plating. Maybe goes back to when I worked in a restaurant, and always plated.

P1030094.JPG