What's Cookin' 2/11/09 Dinner Thread

joec

Gold Site Supporter
We are having a cold cut spread tonight as we have some great cold cuts (got this morning) as well good salad with some fresh olives various types. Got some hard boiled eggs going now as well. I also have a fresh loaf of Italian bread which I will slice down to go with it.

chowhound

I'm not sure either. Last night was impromptu and tonight might be the same. Last night I heat up the four ribs I had leftover along with making a lot of fried potato wedges covered with steak seasoning and drowned in ranch..... so that does it for any unthawed leftovers..... I'm going to the store today and picking up the ingredients I need for homecook's bow-tie cheese thing and Bam's Monte "Crisco" sandwich. And I also have the stuff for Keltin's DO sausage and veggies.
But that doesn't mean I'm having any of the above (lol).

Mama

Queen of Cornbread
Site Supporter
Stuffed chicken breast tonight with some crusty garlic bread.

Attachments

• stuffed-chicken-breast-00.jpg
    stuffed-chicken-breast-00.jpg
    75.3 KB · Views: 132

homecook

Well ds is making a chicken alfredo dish for him and his gf tonight. It's supposed to be their Valentine's dinner because they both have to work Sat. :wub:
I guess Dh and I will probably go out, since I can't use my kitchen.

Barb

buckytom

Grill Master
mama, that looks fantastic!!

dw asked me to pick something up, so i think i'll get some shrimp for pad thai. and i'll finally get around to making the stir fried baby bok choy as a side dish.

JoeV

Dough Boy
Site Supporter
Well ds is making a chicken alfredo dish for him and his gf tonight. It's supposed to be their Valentine's dinner because they both have to work Sat. :wub:
I guess Dh and I will probably go out, since I can't use my kitchen.

Barb

Have you tried the Lakeshore Eatery yet? It's just past Family Foods. I had the Pasta Premavera last night and it was delicious. Ask John (the chef/owner) how the Italian bread was that I took him. He has 7 dinners priced at $7 each, and you won't go hungry. Also, his roast beef dinner is excellent.

homecook

Have you tried the Lakeshore Eatery yet? It's just past Family Foods. I had the Pasta Premavera last night and it was delicious. Ask John (the chef/owner) how the Italian bread was that I took him. He has 7 dinners priced at $7 each, and you won't go hungry. Also, his roast beef dinner is excellent.

Good idea!! We haven't been there yet so it's time we try it out. Thanks for reminding me.

Barb

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
I think I’m gonna try my hand at making gnocchi tonight. I saw FM’s thread on it earlier today, but I’ve never had it. I goggled a few recipes, and it sounds good. A bit of work, sure, but why not. I think I’ll make a red sauce with Italian sausage and bacon to go over the gnocchi. Maybe add broccoli and cheese and some garlic bread. Guess I’ll be stopping by the store on my way home tonight. :smile:

JoeV

Dough Boy
Site Supporter
Having company tonight for dinner, and I made it last night and put in the fridge...Beer Braised Beef, from the latest issue of Gourmet magazine.

Braised the seasoned beef in the dutch oven with a bit of oil, then set off to the side...

P1010474.jpg

Scraped down the sides and bottom of the pan and cooked down 4 cups of sweet onions, two bay leaves, two carrots chopped and two stalks of celery chopped...

P1010475.jpg

Put the beef back in on top of the veggies and added beer (MGD) half way up the side of the roast, then cooked covered for 3 1/2 hours on 350 F...

P1010476.jpg

Mopped down the carmelization from the sides of the pot, removed and tosses the bay leaves, chewed up the veggies with my Braun stick mixer, added flour shaken with 1 cup of cold water, and thickened the gravy. Cut the beef after it rested for 1/2 hour, layed it in a glass dish and smothered with gravy. Left in the fridge overnight and will reheat before dinner.

P1010477.jpg

Will serve with mashed potatoes, corn and fresh Italian bread.

Italian-on-16x22.jpg

Dessert will be cinnamon rolls and coffee.

P1010347.jpg

chowhound

Joe.
Where exactly in Mentor do you live?
;^)

My God that looks FANTASTIC! How about writing this up (cut of beef and all) and sticking it under the beef section or what we have that's close. Man.... beautiful. Excellent recipe and photos!

homecook

Joe.
;^)

My God that looks FANTASTIC! How about writing this up (cut of beef and all) and sticking it under the beef section or what we have that's close. Man.... beautiful. Excellent recipe and photos!

HaHaHa........I know!!!!!!:bouncy: What will you give me if I tell you?? I can actually walk to his house.

Barb

chowhound

HaHaHa........I know!!!!!!:bouncy: What will you give me if I tell you?? I can actually walk to his house.

Barb

ooh, one more person and I can triangulate! lol
How about a pic for you burgers and onion gravy? I make that all the time :biggrin: It'll have gravy on the fries even.

JoeV

Dough Boy
Site Supporter
Joe.
;^)

Ask & ye shall receive. I've posted it in the Beef forum with a few more details.

We're having two Catholic Priest friends from our church for dinner...still up to the trip? :shock: Our DS doesn't hang around when when they come for dinner...he's scared they'll ask him to start showing up at church or go to confession.:bonk: It's truly the only time he has "the fear of God" in him. :yum: You're very welcome to join us, we usually talk about politics and computers, and rarely agree with each other.

Lefty

Yank
I don't like martinis......... Or is that your dinner tonight?

Barb
It was a tough day, that is what I was going to have for dinner but I just got a call from an old friend and feeling much better. I will have a salad and 1 Martini. :whistling: