i need a knife ..

Love2"Q"

i have just recently started bying meat in bulk ..
and it is a bear trying to cut through the meat with my
faberware .. laugh if you must .. but it has been a decent knife ...
so .. i want a knife i can slice meat .. not super thin ... just steaks
and chops .. but also a knife i can slice up onions and what not ..
i guess a all purpose type of knife ...
now i have some knives my dad gave me from his days in
commercial kitchens .. dexters i believe .. should i bother getting
these sharpened .. they do not feel good in my hand at all ..
whats funny ..is i ran a razor blade down the side of my
finger at work the other day and since then i can not stop thinking
of getting a new knife ..
that and i am totally jealuos of chows new knife ...
so any help would be appreciated ...
also i am a lefty .. not sure if it matters ..

buzzard767

golfaknifeaholic
Gold Site Supporter
Your requirements for an all purpose knife take you to a German Chef's, a French Chef's, or a Japanese Gyuto (cow sword = Chef's). What is is your budget? How will you sharpen it? Do you require stainless steel or is the small bit of additional care involved with carbon steel okay? How long a blade depends on how large the objects are you wish to cut but is somewhat restricted by the size of your cutting board.

PieSusan

Tortes Are Us
Super Site Supporter
Buzz, I bet the knife you suggested to me would fill the bill. I really like it lots!!

Love2"Q"

extra care would be a negitave ...
budget .. not sure .. a hundred bucks? i can spend more but something
that is under a hunny would be nice ..
mostly cutting pork and beef that are around 6 inches or so wide ..

Love2"Q"

i say no to the extra care .. but i am not sure what extra care is ..
i have never sharpened a knife before .. knives get dull and i trash them ..

buzzard767

golfaknifeaholic
Gold Site Supporter
i say no to the extra care .. but i am not sure what extra care is ..
i have never sharpened a knife before .. knives get dull and i trash them ..

Sounds like a Forschner Fibrox would do you fine and my choice has nothing to do with Cook's Illustrated mag's perennial ratings on this knife. It's a good, basic Chef's knife with good stainless steel and equally good price, about twenty-five bucks.

You will need to sharpen it however and there are several inexpensive pull through sharpeners that will work just fine for your purposes.

PieSusan

Tortes Are Us
Super Site Supporter
I looked at that knife, too--believe it or not--when I started doing all the research. Cool!

buzzard767

golfaknifeaholic
Gold Site Supporter
Hmmmm. This would be cool....

il_430xN.62179415.jpg

buzzard767

golfaknifeaholic
Gold Site Supporter
Okay. Cool factor. What does that look like? If you're going to spend what it costs to get a good looking German knife you'd be much better off getting a knife like PieSusan's new one. But that once again brings up the question of sharpening.

PieSusan

Tortes Are Us
Super Site Supporter
Why not go to a restaurant supply and buy a chef's knife and a slide through sharpener like my friend Andy bought me a long time ago. It serviced me well for years. It is just my mom did not really take good care of it and I felt I needed to replace it and wanted to upgrade.

And, Buzz--why not have some caption fun with that first photo!

Mine?
Come a little closer and repeat that for me. I dare ya!!!

chowhound

Hmmm,
If I have to suck in my stomach and stick out my chest one second longer.. I'm going to cut something.

BamsBBQ

Ni pedo
Site Supporter
i agree and i would go with a Henckels... if you want to spend a little more money look for the one with two men on it..those are made in germany.... if you are looking for a little cheaper knife go with the Henckel with one man on it which is made in china.

now with a henckel whether its a cheaper one(you can buy at walmart now) or a high quality one, they both have a lifetime warranty on them even if you buy them used. if they get a knick or wont hold an edge, the store that sells them will send them back to the company free of charge and you get a new knife.

http://www.jahenckels.com/

Why not go to a restaurant supply and buy a chef's knife and a slide through sharpener like my friend Andy bought me a long time ago. It serviced me well for years. It is just my mom did not really take good care of it and I felt I needed to replace it and wanted to upgrade.

And, Buzz--why not have some caption fun with that first photo!

Mine?
Come a little closer and repeat that for me. I dare ya!!!

bigjim

Mess Cook
Super Site Supporter
In another recent thread, someone suggested the Forschner 3 piece set. These three knives will pretty much fit all your cooking needs. I think that you can beat the price of $127/set suggested, try SMKW. These along with an edgemaker pro sharpener should fill your needs. All for less than $150. I like the Rosewood handles.

buzzard767

golfaknifeaholic
Gold Site Supporter
I still like the looks and sound of this knife

I had one of those and a slicer and paring knife to match. The steel is forged in Solingen and the assembly may or may not be accomplished in Switzerland. Hard to tell. They are very nice with excellent fit and finish. The steel holds its edge very well and polishes up quite nicely. I gave them to my son and DIL a couple years ago and they love them.

Go for it. :a1:

chowhound

Plus we need the cool factor ;^)
I think that Victorinox looks cool. Love the handle, but also realize now that I don't really care what the handle looks like, as I'm only grabbing part of it using a pinch grip.

joec

Gold Site Supporter
Easy to do with this one, it has a convexed edge. I sure wouldn't pay the price of the knife he listed to throw away once it gets dull in about 2 days of use. I would go real cheap with some Old Hickory then as you can sharpen them with an electric can opener with the same size knife costing about $15.

Locutus

You would be a lot happier with a Kanetsugu Pro M Series 210mm gyuto from Japanese Chef's Knives for cheaper price, better edge retention for $70.20 and $7 shipping at http://www.japanesechefsknife.com/ProMSeries.html

210mm is about 8.25" blade while a 240mm is about 9.4" which I prefer.

IMHO, it depends on how serious the OP is about cooking and cutting. If serious, I agree with JoeC. A mouse pad and sandpaper, and a bit of patience, he can learn to maintain a convex edge in a very short time, with little effort.

GotGarlic

DH gave me a Henckels Santoku knife made in Germany for Christmas - I love it. It's very comfortable to use, and very sharp. Great knife. I haven't had to sharpen it yet, and we use it almost every day.

Love2"Q"

thanks for all the info .. im going to hit a couple stores this weekend
to see what feels good in my hand .. then go from there ...