Apple Streusel Yeast Bread....need some advice.

Mama

Queen of Cornbread
Site Supporter
I don't know if any of you have ever tried Oregon Trail Apple Danish Bread from Sam's Club or not but it is some absolutely wonderful bread.

I've been on a quest to make my own version of this wonderful bread. I think I've read every apple bread and apple danish recipe on the internet and combined the things that I liked from a variety of recipes. I think I've pretty much got the bread itself down. It has a wonderful apple taste, not too dense and not too sweet.

The bread made 2 loaves:

1 1/3 cups of apple juice
1/2 cup of applesauce
3 Tablespoons butter, softened
4 to 5 cups bread flour
1/3 cup of dry milk
1/2 Tablespoon Salt
1 Tablespoon Cinnamon
1/2 cup of light brown sugar, packed
2 1/4 teaspoons yeast
2 Tablespoons Vital Wheat Gluten
1 large granny smith apple, finely diced

My problem arises with the streusel topping, some of it fell of when the bread rose in the oven and most of the rest of it fell off when I cut into it.

I made the dough in the bread machine. I shaped it, put the topping on and let it rise a second time before baking. Maybe I should have pressed the topping into the bread dough before I let it rise a second time?

The topping I used:
1/2 cup of flour
1/4 cup of packed light brown sugar
1/2 Tablespoon Cinnamon
6 Tablespoons of softened butter
Topped with a few shaved almonds

Does anyone have any idea as to a good streusel topping recipe that will stick to the bread better?

Once I get the perfect topping for this bread, I think it will be amazing!

Attachments

• apple-bread-00.jpg
    apple-bread-00.jpg
    82 KB · Views: 1,046
  • applebread-001.jpg
    applebread-001.jpg
    69.9 KB · Views: 1,003

ChowderMan

Pizza Chef
Super Site Supporter
try wetting the dough immediately before dousing it with the topping -

alternate - slightly beaten egg white with jest a tad of water to thin.

those are the usual tricks for making things stick - given the thickness of the streusel as pin the pix, I'd be tempted to go with the egg white.

sure looks yummy!

Mama

Queen of Cornbread
Site Supporter
Thanks for the compliment and the advice Chowder! GREAT idea! I'll try it as soon as we eat these 2 loaves...shouldn't be long..:lol:

It looks amazing!

Here's one I saved, but have not tried yet. I noticed it calls for cold butter. Wonder if that would help. And, letting it rest 15 minutes before slicing. See what you think about the streusal topping.

Adapted from 1881 Coffee Cafe in Bridgeport, Calif. This recipe requires a 9 x 5 x 3" loaf dish.Total time: 1 hour, 20 minutes Servings: 8 to 10

1881 Coffee Cafe's Dutch Apple Walnut Loaf
Recipe By : Los Angeles Times
Serving Size: 10

Topping:
1/4 cup sugar
1/4 cup flour
2 teaspoons cinnamon
1/4 cup cold butter -- (1/2 stick) cut into 1/2" pieces

Loaf:
1/2 cup butter -- (1 stick) softened
1 cup sugar
2 eggs
1/4 cup buttermilk -- plus 1 tablespoon
1 teaspoon vanilla
2 cups flour -- (8.5 ounces)
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 cups apples -- peeled and diced
1/2 cup chopped walnuts

Topping: In a medium bowl, whisk together the sugar, flour and cinnamon.

Cut in the cold butter until the mixture becomes crumbly. Set aside.

Heat the oven to 350 degrees. Grease a 9x5x3" baking dish. Line the base of the dish with parchment paper, then grease the top of the parchment paper.

In the bowl of a stand mixer, or in a large bowl using an electric mixer, cream together the butter and sugar until light and fluffy, 3 to 5 minutes.

Add the eggs, one at a time, beating well until fully incorporated. Beat in the buttermilk and vanilla.

In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda and salt. With the mixer running, slowly beat in the dry ingredients just until fully combined. Stir in the diced apples and chopped walnuts by hand.

Pour the batter into the prepared dish, then sprinkle over the topping.

Place the dish in the oven and bake until puffed and a toothpick inserted comes out clean, about 55 minutes to an hour. Cool the dish on a rack for 15 minutes, then unmold and cool completely before slicing.

Source:
"http://www.azcentral.com/style/hfe/food/articles/2010/08/10/20100810walnut-bread.html"
PHP4C61A740CF58F.jpg

Glenn Koenig/Los Angeles Times/MCT

Mama

Queen of Cornbread
Site Supporter
Thanks CC!

That topping looks just like what I'm looking for! Maybe I'll try that topping recipe and incorporate the use of the egg whites to help it stick even more.

I knew I could count on y'all to help me solve this dilemma!