Chinese Buns

Qsis had asked me about these buns & char siu. Sorry it has taken me awhile to get back. This is a very old recipe from one of my first cookbooks from Kikkoman. I recently picked it up again, & thought this was a great idea for chinese steamed buns, especially if you don't have a bamboo steamer, or time to make the dough from scratch. You can fill them with anything you like. I'll add in some of my ideas, & you can play with it, adjust to your taste & cooking method. (After I typed it up, found the recipe posted on Kikkoman's site.)

Steamed Chinese Shrimp Buns
Serving Size : 10

1/2 pound bean sprouts -- fresh, chopped
1/4 pound shrimp -- peeld, deveined, chopped
2 green onion -- & tops, chopped
1 clove garlic -- minced
2 tablespoons cornstarch
2 tablespoons soy sauce
1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
1 can refrigerated biscuits -- 7.5 oz

Combine sprouts, shrimp, onions, garlic, cornstarch, soy sauce & ginger in 1 1/2 qt microwave safe square dish. Microwave on hi 6 minutes, until vegetables are tender-crisp, stirring once.

Divide biscuit dough into 10 pieces. Flatten each piece into 3 1/2' round, flouring hands if dough is sticky.

Place about 2 tbl shrimp mixture in center of each round. Bring edges together to enclose filling, pinching edges to seal securely.

Place half the filled buns on 6-7" microwave safe plate. Set plate in 1 1/2 qt microwave safe dish. Add 1/4 cup hot water to bottom of dish. Microwave on high 5 minutes, or until buns are cooked. Repeat with remaining buns.
---------
A few of my ideas - stir fry the ingreds rather than microcook. Brush the filled buns with honey mixed with a little water & bake, rather than micro steam.
---------
I prefer the pork filled buns. Take a look at kikkoman's site, & you will find two recipes for the Char Siu. You could also do the char siu in a slow cooker, if you wish.

Last edited:

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Oh this is SO cool, CC!!!

I will make them with pork, probably some leftover char siu. I don't use the smoker in the winter, so will do it in the oven.

I LOVE the fact that it's so easy to use the refrigerated biscuits!! :bounce:

Thank you so much!

Lee

Oh this is SO cool, CC!!!

I will make them with pork, probably some leftover char siu. I don't use the smoker in the winter, so will do it in the oven.

I LOVE the fact that it's so easy to use the refrigerated biscuits!! :bounce:

Thank you so much!

Lee

YAY!!! So glad you found it, Lee. Thought the idea of using refrigerated biscuits was brilliant, & great in a pinch for a quick appetizer. Enjoy, & please let me know whatcha did with them. :)

Here are some videos to show how to pinch & pleat the buns. (When you flatten the dough circles out, leave a little pooch in the center. Fill, and pleat, pinch, pleat, pinch all the way around the filling. Hope this helps.)

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kklTWZV9BMc&NR=1[/ame]

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nRLiTtVZ5z4[/ame]

Aren't they cute!