Pizza Screen

Guts

Found a new use for my pizza screen. Frozen French fries and onion rings, sometimes you just don't want to go through the trouble of cutting your French fries and deep frying them, say you just want a handful of French fries/onion rings with your meal. So I buy frozen ones at the grocery store preheat the oven and cook/reheat them on a pizza screen. The directions on the package say lay them on a jellyroll pan or flat sheet and heat for a suggested temperature for a specified time. I haven't found any change in time or temperature, but what I did find was an evenly heated product/French fry. The cost of these pizza screens range from a dollar and a half to 5 dollars, very inexpensive. The screens allow hot air from the bottom as well as the top. I have not had any soggy fries that were greasy fries using the pizza screen. When I wanted a small amount of French fries with a meal sometimes I would just drive through one of the local fast food joints and pick up an order. But they are never hot when the meal was ready, so I started using frozen ones. I would definitely recommend this method, that’s why I’m posting this.

Attachments

• pizza-screen.JPG
    pizza-screen.JPG
    350.5 KB · Views: 379

ChowderMan

Pizza Chef
Super Site Supporter
I second the motion!

I have a smallish cake rack that fits in the broiler pan - I have to "line up" the fries but the results are much better than flat on (else things)

does wonders for chops / steaks / chicken /etc going in for a bake.... much more even cooking - especially helpful at lower temps - my madness for waterless cooking aka oven sous vide....

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
A toy I don't have!

I'll definitely look for one of these, Guts - thank you!

Lee

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Thanks, Guts!

When you DO use it as intended, how do you use it? Does it go on the counter when you take the pizza off the stone, out of the oven?

Lee

Guts

A pizza screen is used like a pan of sorts. Some restaurants use these to cook their pizzas on. They also work well if you buy a frozen pizza. Basically you would lay your dough on the pizza screen, dress the pizza with your ingredients of choice and cook the pizza in the oven on the rack. Some people had even tried using a stone underneath them I have not done this.

They could have many uses actually, you could use them for a drainage tray for fried foods. I think that you could imagine what I'm trying to say here with your frozen french fries/onion rings on the pizza screen in the oven on the rack and see how the heat could get to all sides of the french fry rather than lying in a pan. I had someone on another site tell me that they use them for frozen dinner rolls and work great, although I have never tried this.

Someone suggested using them as a flyswatter:hammer:

Thanks, Guts!

When you DO use it as intended, how do you use it? Does it go on the counter when you take the pizza off the stone, out of the oven?

Lee

Sass Muffin

Coffee Queen ☕
Gold Site Supporter
I have one.
I think the last time I used it was to make the blue tube crescent chicken ring recipe.

Last edited:

Guts

First time hearing about a pizza screen. :weber: :blob_blue:
You may want to put that on your wish list, especially if you make oven onion rings or fries. Frozen pizzas or they were designed to actually cook pizzas on. I would think that king of kitchen toys would have to have one of these they are certainly not expensive. In my opinion a must-have for your kitchen toys.

Shermie

Site Supporter
You may want to put that on your wish list, especially if you make oven onion rings or fries. Frozen pizzas or they were designed to actually cook pizzas on. I would think that king of kitchen toys would have to have one of these they are certainly not expensive. In my opinion a must-have for your kitchen toys.

I may look into this & see. :cooking: :wow:

Guts

We have a local chain called rallies and apparently there are checkers also fast food. I bought these fries at Walmart in the frozen food section, they are rallies/checkers seasoned fries. You can see how the warm air will come from the bottom and the top when heating these frozen fries in the oven. I've made onion rings on them to with good success.

No need to turn the fries over halfway through the cooking, and they do not get greasy.

Attachments

• frys 001.jpg
    frys 001.jpg
    90.9 KB · Views: 193
Last edited: