Pasta Salad

joec

Gold Site Supporter
I had about a pound of the bow tie pasta left over and decided to put together a pasta salad for tomorrow.

It is basically as follows:

1 lb of bow tie pasta (any pasta will work really)
1 full roasted peppers diced
4 Sun dried tomatoes diced
1 T Capers
1 small red onion diced
1 doz. kalamata olives pitted and sliced
1 cup of cooked peas
a couple of springs of fresh flat leaf parsley chopped up to taste
salt and pepper to taste.

Sauce
2 T of Sherry vinegar
3 T of Miracle Wipe
2 T Dijon mustard
1 T honey.

Mixed well, then toss with salad and refrigerate till ready to serve.

Last edited:

joec

Gold Site Supporter
Dee I actually make a pasta salad out of what ever I have on hand like this one today. It is kind of a pantry cleaner. Oh and I use jarred sun ripened tomatoes as well as the roasted red peppers which I always have in my pantry. I also sometimes us rotel tomatoes if I want more kick to it but wanted this fairly mild to go with the baby back ribs tomorrow and my baked beans (with the peach pie filling) that I like to make. We are expecting the usual mooches over tomorrow looking to be feed.

Deelady

you actually inspired me to make my own for tomorrow!

I added in halved kalmata olives, chopped sundried tomatoes, diced cucumbers, beer flavored grainy mustard, a couple tablespoons of mayo, lemon juice, s&p, whole wheat elbow macaroni, and tomorrow I will add fresh basil.

Still feels like I am missing something.....??

joec

Gold Site Supporter
The fresh basil is always good as is the cucumbers which I have done too in the past. I have also used sour cream, lemon juice and even balsamic vinegar for the acidity. It is hard to screw up really even shredded carrots will work like a cole slaw pasta salad. It really is just jump on it and make up what you like including blanched vegetables. That is why I've never posted a recipe before but made some up this morning and what I used was fresh in my head. I just go on the fly with this kind of thing and really don't measure including this morning batch but guessed later how much I used. I suggest tasting as you go to make sure the measurements are correct, if you get my drift.

Cooksie

Site Supporter
The fresh basil is always good as is the cucumbers which I have done too in the past. I have also used sour cream, lemon juice and even balsamic vinegar for the acidity. It is hard to screw up really even shredded carrots will work like a cole slaw pasta salad. It really is just jump on it and make up what you like including blanched vegetables. That is why I've never posted a recipe before but made some up this morning and what I used was fresh in my head. I just go on the fly with this kind of thing and really don't measure including this morning batch but guessed later how much I used. I suggest tasting as you go to make sure the measurements are correct, if you get my drift.

I understand the "just knowing how much goes in" when you've made something so many times. I have never used capers or sun-dried tomatoes in pasta salad, but I will try it next time. I'm sure that I would like the twang that the capers add. I have gradually begun to use more and more sun-dried tomatoes in my cooking, love that smoky tomato taste.

joec

Gold Site Supporter
I understand the "just knowing how much goes in" when you've made something so many times. I have never used capers or sun-dried tomatoes in pasta salad, but I will try it next time. I'm sure that I would like the twang that the capers add. I have gradually begun to use more and more sun-dried tomatoes in my cooking, love that smoky tomato taste.

I'm with you Cooksie just don't add too many capers until you have the right amount nailed down or it can make it a bit salty pretty quick. That really is why I don't post more recipes as I go mostly by feel when I'm making something. Even if I try someone else's recipe I usually do it once to the letter then from then on add, subtract and forget about measurements. Just my style of cooking as that is the way I was taught to cook by my grandmother. I actually measure with the palm of my hand or by eye mostly.