The "Breakfast" thread

lilbopeep

🌹🐰 Still trying to get it right.
Site Supporter
Not everyone eats a morning meal in the morning. We usually have breakfast food for dinner. Lets see your "Breakfast" food whether its for lunch, dinner or even BREAKFAST!!

Eggs Benedict

eggs_benny_092910_P1060378.JPG

Last edited:

Doc

Administrator
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I'll 2nd that Peeps, that looks delicious!!!! Have you posted that recipe here on NCT by chance?
We rarely have a big breakfast anymore but do have breakfast for dinner on occasion (hash browns, eggs & bacon).

lilbopeep

Site Supporter
I'll 2nd that Peeps, that looks delicious!!!! Have you posted that recipe here on NCT by chance?
We rarely have a big breakfast anymore but do have breakfast for dinner on occasion (hash browns, eggs & bacon).
Thank you Doc. No I haven't posted it but it is pretty simple:
toast and butter english muffin, cook and place a slice of Canadian bacon on each muffin half, place a poached egg on top of the bacon and top with Hollandaise sauce then a grind of black pepper. I am sure someone (Maybe Mama or GG?) posted a recipe when she got her poach pods (I also did my eggs in my poach pods) so I didn't want to duplicate her thread.

MexicoKaren

Joyfully Retired
Super Site Supporter
If you don't have any Knorr's Hollandaise in your pantry or if (like me) you don't have a place to get it, here is a quick and easy way to make it:

□ 1/2 cup butter
□ 3 egg yolks
□ 1 Tbsp. lemon juice
□ Dash of cayenne pepper

Place egg yolks in blender with the lemon juice, turn blender on high speed for 5 seconds to blend. Melt butter in microwave until almost boiling. Turn blender back on high speed and gradually pour in butter. It will thicken into a beautiful yellow hollandaise in 20-40 seconds. The sauce may be kept warm by placing the blender bowl in warm water. The sauce cannot be reheated.

lilbopeep

Site Supporter
If you don't have any Knorr's Hollandaise in your pantry or if (like me) you don't have a place to get it, here is a quick and easy way to make it:

□ 1/2 cup butter
□ 3 egg yolks
□ 1 Tbsp. lemon juice
□ Dash of cayenne pepper
Place egg yolks in blender with the lemon juice, turn blender on high speed for 5 seconds to blend. Melt butter in microwave until almost boiling. Turn blender back on high speed and gradually pour in butter. It will thicken into a beautiful yellow hollandaise in 20-40 seconds. The sauce may be kept warm by placing the blender bowl in warm water. The sauce cannot be reheated.
Thanks Karen!! I needed a quick meal so I took the shortcut. LOL This meal only took like MAYBE 10 minutes. I did the muffins under the broiler. LOL The cayenne pepper goes in the yolks right?

MexicoKaren

Joyfully Retired
Super Site Supporter
Yes, Peeps, I guess the cayenne pepper goes in the yolks...sorry I dropped that part! I think the Knorr stuff tastes very good, and if I could buy it, I would. But I've been making this version since I bought my first Osterizer blender back in the 1960s(!). It was in the handbook that came with it, and it's pretty quick, has a nice bright taste, and I've always told myself that the butter cooks the egg yolks...

I got up this morning determined to make Mama's pumpkin pancakes and then realized that I did not have ANY syrup. So I made this TNT crustless quiche with minced red onion, bacon, spinach, oaxaca and manchego cheese, sliced tomatoes on top. It was good with some grilled Italian bread and fresh watermelon. Jerry gave it a "9" - high praise from him for something that does not have any potatoes.

Thanks for starting this thread, Peeps - Sunday is the only day we really eat breakfast, but sometimes we do have breakfast for dinner!

Attachments

• 035.jpg
    035.jpg
    98.9 KB · Views: 2,289
  • 036.jpg
    036.jpg
    67.1 KB · Views: 2,323

lilbopeep

Site Supporter
Yes, Peeps, I guess the cayenne pepper goes in the yolks...sorry I dropped that part! I think the Knorr stuff tastes very good, and if I could buy it, I would. But I've been making this version since I bought my first Osterizer blender back in the 1960s(!). It was in the handbook that came with it, and it's pretty quick, has a nice bright taste, and I've always told myself that the butter cooks the egg yolks...

I got up this morning determined to make Mama's pumpkin pancakes and then realized that I did not have ANY syrup. So I made this TNT crustless quiche with minced red onion, bacon, spinach, oaxaca and manchego cheese, sliced tomatoes on top. It was good with some grilled Italian bread and fresh watermelon. Jerry gave it a "9" - high praise from him for something that does not have any potatoes.

Thanks for starting this thread, Peeps - Sunday is the only day we really eat breakfast, but sometimes we do have breakfast for dinner!
That looks fantastic Karen!!

I don't make eggs benny very often and have only made homemade hollandaise once many years ago (I remember it was a pain!!). No one in my house really likes it but me so homemade once every 5 years is enough for them!! LOL My aunt made them and used Knorr's and I liked it so I have been using that since.

MexicoKaren

Joyfully Retired
Super Site Supporter
Thanks, Peeps. Jerry doesn't care much for Hollandaise, either, but I sneak it in there every now and then, because I like it SO much, especially on asparagus.

luvs

'lil Chef
Gold Site Supporter
is an adult beverage allowable, here, as i'm drinking a few so as 2 snooze this morning....... dagnabbin weather is too ucky 4 me! & company ain't arriving until after 2 this afternoon, so i'm a gonna get a few in where & when suited 2 me!

luvs

'lil Chef
Gold Site Supporter
Thanks guys!!!!!!! :thumb: :D

doc, my hollondaise is yolks/lemon-juice a/n added mid-cooking then post-cooking/a dab of simmering h2o (a/n)/clarified butter, slowly dripped in/wht. pepper/cayenne/salt

whisk, & often, or your morning food'll be scrambled egg rather than hollandaise.:huh:

JoeV

Dough Boy
Site Supporter
OH JOE!! I'm in heaven!!
Oh, I forgot to mention that like Lay's potato chips, "you can't eat just one!" Since making the whole wheat muffins, I don't even think about making them with straight AP flour. The stone ground whole wheat flour adds an incredible flavor that you don't get with white flour. My son and his girlfriend now just make two apiece when they make them.

lilbopeep

Site Supporter
Oh, I forgot to mention that like Lay's potato chips, "you can't eat just one!" Since making the whole wheat muffins, I don't even think about making them with straight AP flour. The stone ground whole wheat flour adds an incredible flavor that you don't get with white flour. My son and his girlfriend now just make two apiece when they make them.
I used to love Heckers and Hodsons brands but I have problems finding them.

Leni

I like to make a breakfast crossant. I slice the crossant and heat it in the oven until crispy. In the meantime I scramble eggs, bacon ane melt cheese to go inside it. Add fresh strawberries or other fresh fruit and breakfast is served.

Leni

Thanks luvs. Another breakfast that I like to make is a German one that is translated as farmers breakfast. As you can see it is very filling.

2 strips of bacon per person cut into bite sized pieces
1 small potato per person cubed
chopped onion to taste
1 chopped bell pepper or more as desired
2 eggs per person
grated cheddar cheese
salt and pepper to taste

In a large skillet cook the bacon until there are enough drippings and add the potatoes to brown. Add the bell pepper when the potatoes are almost done. Then add the onion when the peppers are close to being done. All of this is stirred together until done. Drain the skillet. Now the eggs are cracked open over the mixture. They are allowed to cook for a few minutes before the whole thing is stirred together. Just before the eggs are completely set, spread the grated cheese over the top. Cover and let it melt. Serve with toast or biscuits.

Jimmy Dean just came out with Skillets which is almost the same. He has bacon, ham, and sausage versions. No cheese though.

A fast way to do this is to use a package of potatoes O'brien and add bacon and cheese. It just doesn't have the flavor though.

Last edited:

lilbopeep

Site Supporter
Lunch for hub and I was scrambled eggs cooked in a small amount of butter served with tomatoes dressed with fresh basil, ground sea salt, ground peppercorns, garlic powder, onion powder & dry chili pepper infused EVOO.

eggs_tomatoes_101310_P1060495.JPG

Last edited:

Mama

Queen of Cornbread
Site Supporter
Eggs in a basket, eggs in a hole, eggs in a nest, what ever you want to call it.

Attachments

• eggs-in-a-basket-1.jpg
    eggs-in-a-basket-1.jpg
    80.5 KB · Views: 536
  • eggs-in-a-basket-2.jpg
    eggs-in-a-basket-2.jpg
    73.9 KB · Views: 544

MexicoKaren

Joyfully Retired
Super Site Supporter
I'll bet those eggs tasted wonderful along with the tomatoes, Peeps. Nice job on the scrambled eggs - they look perfect. And Mama- great technique on the eggs in a hole, and I spy some delicious-looking ham on the other side of the plate.

lilbopeep

Site Supporter
Thank you Karen.

Mama - That looks yummy!! I have only made eggs that way once many years ago. They look perfect.

lilbopeep

Site Supporter
Brunch for 3: Ham, mushroom, onion, egg & cheese omelet (diced Country ham (leftover from last night), sliced mushrooms & onions sautéed in butter & hot chili pepper infused EVOO. Heat lowered to medium high. Eggs scrambled with sea salt, ground peppercorns & ½ & ½ added to pan. Bottom of eggs allowed to set then edges lifted to allow raw egg to flow underneath set eggs. When only the top slightly unset layer is left shredded cheddar is sprinkled down the center and pan is covered and removed from heat. Allow to steam a bit to finish setting top layer and cheese to melt. Fold one side over to middle and cover the cheese, slide onto plate and fold other side over. Top with additional cheddar and cover briefly to melt.)

ham_cheese_omelet_102110_P1060538.JPG

Last edited: