Flank vs. Skirt vs. Hanger vs. Flat Iron Steak

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
A friend of mine (her username on this forum is "Lee's Bud", oddly enough) asked me if we've ever discussed this subject.

Not sure if we have, but I've cooked and posted about Flat Iron Steaks before (my new love!). http://www.netcookingtalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=23276&highlight=flat+iron+steak

Ross in Ventura, Chowderman and others have also posted about this glorious cut.

So, let's discuss them all! What are your favorites? Why? How do you cook them?

Here is a short and good article regarding the subject, complete with a cute photo for a visual. http://www.goodfoodstories.com/2012/02/27/hanger-skirt-flank-flatiron-steaks/

Lee

Cooksie

Site Supporter
I've never called a steak a hanger steak, but after reading the article, those are the ones I like best. A lot of people say that the beef tenderloin has no flavor, but it's probably my favorite. Hands down, grilled is best for my tastes and pan searing comes in second. They're mostly special occasion though because they're pricey.

I've had flat iron a few times, and I really liked them, but they're hard to find around here.

ChowderMan

Pizza Chef
Super Site Supporter
that link is very instructive. there was a thread somewhere about flat iron - pipples posted pix of something cut cross the grain pretty much like any other steak-on-the-cow. flat iron steak is not really so much a steak as an intact chunk of muscle, the 'grain' runs longwise.

so anyway, it was slow at the butcher shop, I showed him said pix - total head scratcher said he, but absolutely not a flat iron. there followed a long discussion about where it comes from, old days it was such a pain to cut out properly it mostly went into the 'grind up' bucket, etc etc. next trip I notice flat iron prominently in the case, next time I got to talk with him he said the stuff is selling like crazy.

so, the word is out. it's a good cut. just like osso bucco - they used to darn near give the shanks away - then along came Emeril and now (a) hard to get (b) plenty more pricey!

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Has anyone here tried all four of them?

Hey, Jan - maybe we should do one of our side by side by side by side taste tests?

We could do kebobs!

Lee

Adillo303

Gold Site Supporter
Great threat at just the right time of the year.

I have used both skirt and flank steak for Fajitas and Carne Asada. I prefer the skirt. As the article said, it has a bit more fat and seems to love a good marinade.

I only recently became aware that hanger steaks existed and they are on the must try list.

I had a flatiron a long time ago and it was tough. and I have shied away from it. After reading the article you posted, I am going to give it another go. The article mentioned a strip of grizzle that used to be down the middle. In my area stores sell a very thin cut that looks like this as a chicken steak, so named, because, you can batter it and fry it like chicken cutlets. Some call it a sandwich steak. Anyway, today is shopping day and I may just give a flatiron a go.

ChowderMan

Pizza Chef
Super Site Supporter
...tried all four?

well, three out of four.

per my earlier, for flat iron I do a thorough thaw, 3-4 hrs rub on the counter, followed by a low temp slow roast.

skirt & flank I have only used for stir dry - they are extremely tasty/tender in the thin& narrow / match stick beef, fast cook lane method. but I've never tried them as a "whole chunka' beef"

lilbopeep

🌹🐰 Still trying to get it right.
Site Supporter
A friend of mine (her username on this forum is "Lee's Bud", oddly enough) asked me if we've ever discussed this subject.

Not sure if we have, but I've cooked and posted about Flat Iron Steaks before (my new love!). http://www.netcookingtalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=23276&highlight=flat+iron+steak

Ross in Ventura, Chowderman and others have also posted about this glorious cut.

So, let's discuss them all! What are your favorites? Why? How do you cook them?

Here is a short and good article regarding the subject, complete with a cute photo for a visual. http://www.goodfoodstories.com/2012/02/27/hanger-skirt-flank-flatiron-steaks/

Lee

I love flank and skirt steak.

I like to grill or stove top grill flank steak whole or sliced thin on the bias for stir fry and lo mein dishes and cheese steak.

Skirt steak get a pan or stove top grill; bit more pricey and fatty. Wonderful flavor.

I don't really like hanger or flatiron.

My favorite steak is still boneless NY strip/shell steaks.

Last edited:

Lee's Bud

All in for a side-by-side flank, skirt, hanger, flat iron steak kebobs on the grill comparison. Will get flank and try to find hanger (or is it hangar?) at the local butchery.

K

Kimchee

I'm a big fan of flat iron steaks. They are considered one of the most tender cuts, believe it or not. They make great kabobs; had some just the other night. :)

luvs

'lil Chef
Gold Site Supporter
i have not got a fave. i use them kinda interchangeably ('cept fer skirt-steak), & when i find a differentiation in cuts. i find them to be strikingly similar, myself.

i heard way when ago that they're a similar cut & name them by region.

i often buy flat irons. they're that filet mignon or a strip of lesser cuts.

i've seen 1 thing, tho-- a steak that was recently very cheap in $$ is suddenly as expensive as a strip or a filet @ a place i frequent.

Last edited:

Adillo303

Gold Site Supporter
I just bought my first ever hanged stall today. It is currently marinating in soy, ginger, mustard and beer. It is slated to merry the grill tomorrow.

Adillo303

Gold Site Supporter
Hanger steaks are a definite three yum at our house.

I used this marinade - http://m.allrecipes.com/recipe/14624/rib-eye-steaks-with-a-soy-and-ginger-marinade/

There were a couple substitutions. I used agave instead of maple syrup and EVOO instead of sesame oil. I marinated twenty four hours. I grilled over real charcoal, as suggested (medium rare). They were incredible. The most tender steak I ever eaten. It is also the first time I ever marinated a steak. The ginger marinade is amazing. All ingredients were fresh cut.

The other name for hanger steaks is butcher steaks as the butchers used to save them for themselves.

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Okay, yesterday was the big side-by-side-by-side-by-side comparison among four steaks: hanger, flat iron, skirt, and flank steaks.

We started off the afternoon with munchies, then moved on to grilled vegetables and the four steaks, seasoned only with salt and pepper.

Cooked them all direct, 400 - 500 degree Weber gas grill, about 2 minutes per side.

Gotta confess - they were ALL delicious! Not a tough one in the bunch. All juicy and full of flavor.

Although we each picked a favorite (two said flank, one said hanger, one said flat iron), we agreed that they were all similar, and all winners, and when any of them went on sale, we'd buy it!

Also had local sweet corn, grilled pineapple and Whoopie Pie trifle later on.

A beautiful, fun day with great friends!

Lee

Munchies
Appetizers - steak comparison.JPG

From top left, clockwise: hanger, skirt, flat iron, flank

Four steaks 1 - packaged.JPG

Hanger, flat iron, top is flank, bottom right is skirt

Four steaks 2 - raw.JPG

Steaks with grilled vegs.

Four steaks 3 - with grilled vegs.JPG

Top left, clockwise : Flank, hanger, skirt, flat iron

Four steaks 4 - cooked.JPG

Four steaks, sliced

Four steaks 5 - sliced.JPG

L to R : Flank, flat iron, hanger, skirt

Four steaks 6 - comparison on plate.JPG

Pita sandwich

Four steaks 7 - pita sandwich.JPG

Last edited:

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
A couple more pix from yesterday.

Lee

Steak and eggs breakfast

Four steaks 8 - steak and egg breakfast.JPG

Grilled pineapple with Chimayo chile powder

Grilled pineapple.JPG

Whoopie Pie trifle

Whoopie Pie trifle.JPG

ChowderMan

Pizza Chef
Super Site Supporter
_nice_ report! I go along with the consensus - they're all good, which is gooder .... preference perhaps, slightly different texture due to exact location of cut (??? - no, don't really know what I'm talking about either....)

the one time I did a flat iron at high temp it came out tougher than I wanted - so I do mine low&slow now-a-days.

Adillo303

Gold Site Supporter
Great report Lee, thank you. It also looks like a great day. Beginning to end you made an afternoon that looks like it was to die for.

Ummmmm Should that Whoopee Pie trifle recipe happen to get posted I know a dude in Haledon that would be grateful.

Andy

Cooksie

Site Supporter
It all looks great! Just judging from the pic, since I didn't have the pleasure of taste, my fork would go straight to the hanger.

Sass Muffin

Coffee Queen ☕
Gold Site Supporter
Looks like a good time you had there, and the food is wow!!
All the steaks look delicious.

I've seen steaks labeled with all the above before and have probably bought and prepared each.

Today I am hungry for steak now.
Medium rare, thank you very much lol

bbqguy

Now that looks like it was fun! What can go wrong when you are cooking 4 fabulous cuts of beef? They all look delicious, but I do have a favourite myself --- hanger steak followed closely by flat iron, then flank and skirt.
Tri tip is another lesser known cut that is a real treat.

This thread has awakened some taste buds in me; now I got a trip to the butcher planned.

Lee's Bud

Hello all - I was the sous chef for the try to not only compare, but to remember the name of the 4 steaks. The skirt, was ironed, and hung. When worn, covered the flank. Where QSis grilled all to perfection, the hanger got my vote. Stuffed a half pita with grilled onion, QSis home grown grilled pablano, a thick slice of locally grown heirloom tomato, and a medley of thinly sliced steaks. Took me to carne heaven. Next morning, two runny yolk eggs, toasted English muffin slathered in butta and lightly warmed slices of hanger steak. Am I dreaming?

ChowderMan

Pizza Chef
Super Site Supporter
jeesh don't I wish.

x-Quonset Point clam q-hog.... but around here there's no real stuff to be had.

when I buy fish here I have to sniff it before they wrap it. it's that bad.
Our local Giant Markets are on a tear to go out of business before anyone needs to eat.

we have a Wegmans about an hour away. it sounds crazy, but yes, we drive there for fresh seafood.....

Lee's Bud

My heart bleeds for a ChowerMan who is a Pizza Chef. Born in Emeril's Fall River, I remember his beloved bakeries and dives. My folks moved to Westport in '53. Clams, quahogs, scallops, Horseneck beach sea clams we dug with our feet - made great chowda and the shells, great ashtrays:). Friends had lobster traps - Sooo much wonderful seafood we harvested and enjoyed. Quoinset Point clam q-hog ChowderMan, we are brethren.