Why do my Dogs Not Taste as good?

Deadly Sushi

Formerly The Giant Mojito
Ok..... why in the heck do hotdogs at the local greasy spoons taste fantastic and mine taste..... like I made it at home? :neutral:

chocolate moose

Super Site Supporter
Do you boil yours? We found that broiling instead, and brushing with fancy bbq sauce, really helps the taste.

Also, beef are tastier than chicken or turkey or even a blend.

Mama

Queen of Cornbread
Site Supporter
I think we need a little more information before we can help. What brand of hot dog are you buying and what kind are they (beef, pork, turkey, a mixture)? Also, how are you fixing them?

Lefty

Yank
The package I have says bring water to a boil, turn off drop in dogs and let sit for 4 minutes. Sounds like you may be overcooking them.

Sass Muffin

Coffee Queen ☕
Gold Site Supporter
Try throwing the dogs in a skillet with a little butter.
Fork poke 'em first, then turn often.
Plop on a bun with your favourite condiments.

Adillo303

Gold Site Supporter
Sush - Try Sabrett or Thumans if they have them. Preferably dogs with natural sheep casing, which will hold juices in. Do not boil. I never tried Leftie's idea, it should be better than boiling. I suggest broiling - cook over charcoal. Some manner that does not loose the juices.

Doc

Administrator
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Generally of the jewish variety. Nathans, vienna.... etc....
How do you cook yours sushi? I thought those brands were some of the best. I normally do ours on the grill. Mmmmm good. And they are simply Oscar Meyer all beef.

Mama

Queen of Cornbread
Site Supporter
I'm a fan of the Hebrew National Jumbo Beef Franks. They're a little more expensive and there are only 4 in a pack but they are juicy and have a nice snap. I like them best when they are grilled.

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
The package I have says bring water to a boil, turn off drop in dogs and let sit for 4 minutes. Sounds like you may be overcooking them.

This is the way I cook my Pearl hot dogs (I think the brand is only available in the Northeast -it's the best, but Nathan's is second best).

But I leave them in the hot water for 10 minutes instead of 4.

Perfect SNAP!

Lee

Attachments

• July 4th dinner 2012.JPG
    July 4th dinner 2012.JPG
    122.4 KB · Views: 213

UncleRalph

Quo Fata Ferunt
Site Supporter
If you boil 'em. . your "hot water dog" may not be in a "broth" as strong as a street vendor.

if grilled/flat topped, all the dogs prior help leave a little seasoning on he grill, so every dog closer to the end of service(or grill scrape) has more residual fond on the grill, so therefore, on the dog.

in Chicago, do you not go for a good ole ripper?

Also, I like to do this way for a flat top, or char grill: more surface are=more crunch, and even the snap stays around

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NyieI2bxyIk[/ame]

Steaming buns is easy breezy. . . shouldn't need a walk through on that, DS :)

joec

Gold Site Supporter
I'm a fan of the Hebrew National Jumbo Beef Franks. They're a little more expensive and there are only 4 in a pack but they are juicy and have a nice snap. I like them best when they are grilled.

I am too Mama, really good hot dogs. I've made them all kinds of ways from stemming in beer with onions and bell pepper to steaming them. I even have one of those dedicated cookers like you see at a movie theater. My favorite is grilled period but they are all exceptable to me as I love hot dogs.

BamsBBQ

Ni pedo
Site Supporter
hebrew national,wrapped in bacon, i use a flat electric griddle...grill some jalapenos strips and onions beside the dogs...

nathans are good if you fry or bbq them...when you boil nathans, they seem to lose that greasiness of a street vendor hotdog..

luvs

'lil Chef
Gold Site Supporter
get natural-casing, skillet or grill them, & look fer @ least mostly beef.