Ideas for pork loin

SilverSage

Resident Crone
I have a 3 pound boneless pork loin that I'm thawing for dinner tomorrow. I could use some inspiration. Normally, I would just roast it, and serve it up with some homemade applesauce and scalloped potatoes. But I'm looking for something different.

My parameters are:
I don't own a crockpot.
I don't own a smoker.
I HATE sauerkraut.
I do have a gas grill.
I am willing to go outside my comfort zone.
Everything has to be from scratch (no canned soup)

I could use some ideas from all the great cooks here.

Last edited:

GotGarlic

I made this a couple of times and it's wonderful: Cut the loin into a single long, relatively thin piece, so you can make a roll. Mix together about a half cup chopped fresh herbs, 1/8 cup olive oil and 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese. Spread evenly over the meat, roll it up, and tie with twine every few inches. Roast as usual.

I served this with a side of pasta mixed with pureed herbs, garlic, evoo and Parmesan, topped with chopped tomatoes or roasted red pepper.

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
K

Kimchee

I do the long jellyroll cut too.
A package of spreadable garlic herb cheese, sauteed mushrooms and Herbes Fines
makes a dandy stuffing too.

SilverSage

Resident Crone
WOW! Those all sound wonderful. But I think I need to clarify. I don't have that wonderful, tender, thin, pork tenderloin. I have a pork loin. 3 pounds. As fat as it is long.

Attachments

• 002.jpg
    002.jpg
    48.8 KB · Views: 161

BamsBBQ

Ni pedo
Site Supporter
WOW! Those all sound wonderful. But I think I need to clarify. I don't have that wonderful, tender, thin, pork tenderloin. I have a pork loin. 3 pounds. As fat as it is long.

those work just as well SS... i have butterflied them...stuff with honey garlic sausage..wrapped in bacon...either seared on a grill and finished in oven or seared in a pan and finished in the oven.

you can also cut them into steaks for a loin pork chop.

pork loins like that, i bring up 140-145* and then let residual heat take them the rest of the way...doesnt over cook and keeps it tender and juicy.

Mama

Queen of Cornbread
Site Supporter
I've made this several times and it is wonderful every time.

Preheat an oven to 500 degrees F.

I mixed 5 ounces of jalapeno pepper jelly with 5 ounces of Raspberry Fruit Spread. I seasoned the roast with Montreal Steak Seasoning that I rubbed in to the meat and then just poured the jelly mixture over the roast.

Place the loin on a rack and place in the oven for 15 minutes then turn the temp down to 260 degrees F for 1 1/2 hours (check with a meat thermometer after an hour). When the center reaches 142 degrees F remove from the oven and rest.

It's amazing!

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
Agreed. I work more often with the loin as opposed to the tenderloin, and you can roll them out for stuffing and tieing just the same.

I usually don't like making chops out of the loin as they dry out very easily. But I have found one way that makes a perfectly juicy loin chop every single time with almost no thought involved.

http://www.netcookingtalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10545

those work just as well SS... i have butterflied them...stuff with honey garlic sausage..wrapped in bacon...either seared on a grill and finished in oven or seared in a pan and finished in the oven.

you can also cut them into steaks for a loin pork chop.

pork loins like that, i bring up 140-145* and then let residual heat take them the rest of the way...doesnt over cook and keeps it tender and juicy.