How can we make this work?

lilbopeep

🌹🐰 Still trying to get it right.
Site Supporter
It seems people have lost some interest in these challenges and showcases. How can we make these more appealing?
Any suggestions?

ChowderMan

Pizza Chef
Super Site Supporter
the problem methinks,,,, people actually have lives out of keyboard sight. something new every week is simple overload / over-doing it / more than a body can keep up with so the answer is: taDAH!! don't do any of them.

it's like "Member of the Week" - count up the regular posters and see how far that goes . . .

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I agree with Chowder, peep. Speaking just for me, I have so much going on to even cook ANYTHING of much interest, never mind special theme dinners.

I've been living on storebought rotisserie chicken and whatever stuff I cook on the weekends to share with friends to clean out a full freezer of meat.

I love the idea of challeges and showcases, but I can't add another time-bound element to my life right now.

For example, I'm going to be smoking some corned beefs today at friends' house .... 3 days AFTER St. Patrick's Day!

I sure appreciate all the fun and work and enthusiasm you have spent on these projects, and hope to be able to participate again in the future!

Lee

lilbopeep

Site Supporter
I have also had problems in real life and health and dental issues this last month which have kept me busy and away from the computer for days at a time. Maybe we can start up again soon but make it a month long showcase?

Sass Muffin

Coffee Queen ☕
Gold Site Supporter
For a while, there were too many food themed threads going at the same time, or it seemed that way to me at least.
Half the time I'd forget about them and didn't bother purchasing any ingredients in order to take part.
I have a difficult enough time keeping up with the dinner thread these days lol

Guts

I have also had problems in real life and health and dental issues this last month which have kept me busy and away from the computer for days at a time. Maybe we can start up again soon but make it a month long showcase?

peeps over on the pizza making forum that I go to they have what they call a monthly challenge and it runs for the whole month. That way it gets brought up to the top when it is forgotten about or a new post is made. One member may post something and sparked the interest of another member in that way, I agree. I think a monthly challenge would be a good choice. The drawback would be a small number per-year of challenges. monthly March challenge monthly April challenge and so on.

belaine

Bottle Washer
Super Site Supporter
Frankly I never look at them. i would like to see more cooking conversations rather than challenges.

lilbopeep

Site Supporter
These are not challenges or contests. The threads in the forum are more of a showcase of a single ingredient.

MexicoKaren

Joyfully Retired
Super Site Supporter
I have really enjoyed these "challenges" in the past, especially the "Franken-pantry" game that we played for awhile. But Keltin seems MIA, and he provided the impetus and enthusiasm. I have also been busier than usual lately, and only occasionally get a pic posted to the daily dinner thread. I do think a showcase ingredient presented monthly might work for all of us...thanks for raising the issue. Doing these activities together creates a cohesion among us that really benefits the board.

Mama

Queen of Cornbread
Site Supporter
I have really enjoyed these "challenges" in the past, especially the "Franken-pantry" game that we played for awhile. But Keltin seems MIA, and he provided the impetus and enthusiasm. I have also been busier than usual lately, and only occasionally get a pic posted to the daily dinner thread. I do think a showcase ingredient presented monthly might work for all of us...thanks for raising the issue. Doing these activities together creates a cohesion among us that really benefits the board.

:agree:

Cuisinette

I actually am a bit upset that I cannot be as active as I want.
I have so much to post, the problem is that I am just closing on a new home and moving papers, phone calls, then I am expecting to get the keys in next week or so, move what I have here in the new house which btw it is located about 200 miles from where I am right now.

Then, slowly paint, clean and organize everything... it is a hell of a job, and I am alone in this.

I am peeking in here as much as time permits.

I'll be back (said Schwarzenegger) :yum:

lilbopeep

Site Supporter
thanks, as you can tell I did not even know what they were!
No problem. The title can be a bit confusing if you look quick.

BTW nice to see you it's been awhile (or I have missed your posts).

belaine

Bottle Washer
Super Site Supporter
No problem. The title can be a bit confusing if you look quick.

BTW nice to see you it's been awhile (or I have missed your posts).

i mostly lurk :) love all the pictures and now I am going to go dig out my food mill

Deelady

I have always enjoyed them as well but sometimes between home life and other issues in life I myself periodically lose my fire and motivation for cooking up special meals. I noticed I am more motivated when hubby is home....I guess Im less stressed and worn out. So I usually just contribute sporadically.

But I DO enjoy them! :D

LETHAL GTS

I really enjoy these challenges. It really sparks my creativity. My friends were really enjoying the meals as well. I've been getting some static because I haven't done anything in a while.
I need to get back into the groove now that we have Christmas and New Years out of the way. And I'm back from my vacation etc..
My vote would be to get the Franken pantry up and going again. Monthly or bi weekly even. Weekly was getting hard for me to keep up with along with my boys.
So let's do it!!:corn:
Who wants to start?
Franken Pantry 2011!!

Mama

Queen of Cornbread
Site Supporter
So does anyone still want to do Ingredient Showcase monthly?

If it's monthly, I'm game! I just don't seem to be able to find the time to do a weekly challenge but I think I can do the monthly ones.

MexicoKaren

Joyfully Retired
Super Site Supporter
If we staggered the "challenges", i.e., start a new monthly ingredient challenge on April 1, then run our Franken Pantry through the middle of the month? I'd be game.

lilbopeep

Site Supporter
I would like to start this up again. Maybe just leaving it open ended like the Franken Pantry? Draw a new showcase ingredient once a month?

Cooksie

Site Supporter
I would like to start this up again. Maybe just leaving it open ended like the Franken Pantry? Draw a new showcase ingredient once a month?

I'll try my best to play. I'm ready to get back into the cooking mode, and these cooking games usually inspired me to cook. I say pick an ingredient and let 'er rip :cooking: .

lilbopeep

Site Supporter
OK I will spin the wheel. I will post details in the showcase sticky thread.